aberdeen-music

New Paradise Lost Album

I didn't realise Paradise Lost were still on the go!!

What have i missed? Last album i bought of theirs was 'One Second'

:help:

They had 3 albums since. 'Host', 'Believe In Nothing', and 'Symbol Of Life'.

Host took the electronic sounds of one second and was more like depeche mode, but still a pleasing album. Believe in nothing was an attempt to sound more metal, and Symbol of life was more industrial sounding.

Forgot about 'Shades of God'. Just had another look in my cupboard full of tapes' date=' vinyl, etc. and found a copy of it and an e.p. Think it's called 'Seals the Sense'

As I Die is probably my favourite PL song!

:rockon:[/quote']

Seals the sense was awesome... the song sweetness was great.

to me, Icon and Draconian Times are the only essential PL albums and they are AMAZING.

Shades of god was ok, the first two were a bit rubbish and one second onwards I thought was also a bit shit. i didn't actually buy Host cos of it's shiteness.

however, a load of the b-sides they did around the draconian times album were ace... the sisters of mercy cover was superb!

I'll be interested to hear the new stuff...

Seals the sense was awesome... the song sweetness was great.

to me' date=' Icon and Draconian Times are the only essential PL albums and they are AMAZING.

Shades of god was ok, the first two were a bit rubbish and one second onwards I thought was also a bit shit. i didn't actually buy Host cos of it's shiteness.

however, a load of the b-sides they did around the draconian times album were ace... the sisters of mercy cover was superb!

I'll be interested to hear the new stuff...[/quote']

Sometimes i cant believe what i read on these boards,

Shades of god was ok, the first two were a bit rubbish.

Gothic is a fantastic album, the first album is an aquired taste but is still great and Shades of God is fantastic.

Icon for me was the last of there great albums although i do quite like One Second and Believe in Nothing.

Paradise Lost seems to get the same reaction as Megadeth on these boards, the newer material is favoured over the older stuff :moody:

For those who like the earlier material by the way there's a good compilation cd called Paradise Lost At The BBC, it features material up to and including Draconian Times :up:

ps it has a session version of SWEETNESS on it by the way DAN :D

Paradise Lost seems to get the same reaction as Megadeth on these boards' date=' the newer material is favoured over the older stuff :moody:

[/quote']

Old style Megadeth is the business... and business is good!

I think KIMB...ABIG is ok, shitty production but not bad, but Peace Sells and So Far, So Good...So What are classic albums. After that things started to get a bit mediocre/shite!

As for Paradise Lost, my favourite albums are Shades of God, Icon and Draconian Times. Never heard any previous to that, One Second is quite good. Be Interested to hear their newer material to compare with those albums.

Icon was constantly on my car stereo for about two years after i first got it!

Never seen that compilation cd you mentioned Mordred, is it still available?

:rockon:

I got it from AMAZON just the other week so yeah its still available.

Im very suprised you haven't heard pre-Shades PL, i thought the whole Keith posse were into them :D

Everything up and including Rust In Peace is excellant, after that everything went a bit limp wristed so to speak concerning Megadeth :D

....there still a killer live band thou :rockon:

For those who like the earlier material by the way there's a good compilation cd called Paradise Lost At The BBC' date=' it features material up to and including Draconian Times :up:

ps it has a session version of SWEETNESS on it by the way DAN :D[/quote']

I still have the Kerrang tape with excerts from the BBC stuff.

Sometimes i cant believe what i read on these boards' date='

[b']Shades of god was ok, the first two were a bit rubbish.

Gothic is a fantastic album, the first album is an aquired taste but is still great and Shades of God is fantastic.

Icon for me was the last of there great albums although i do quite like One Second and Believe in Nothing.

Paradise Lost seems to get the same reaction as Megadeth on these boards, the newer material is favoured over the older stuff :moody:

For those who like the earlier material by the way there's a good compilation cd called Paradise Lost At The BBC, it features material up to and including Draconian Times :up:

ps it has a session version of SWEETNESS on it by the way DAN :D

to back up my original statement...

i got into Paradise Lost around the Icon period, that was the first album I bought and I loved it, then I got draconian times. But imagine my surprise the day I bought Lost paradise and Gothic expecting some metallica-esque doomy gothic metal, and instead it is poorly-produced british death metal that sounded nothing like the PL I knew!

Anyway, Gothic has a few songs like the title track, shattered and eternal. In fact I always liked Falling Forever as well although Nick Holmes said it was the most embarassing song they've done!

Also the style of death metal they played wasn't the stuff I was a fan of, bearing in mind I liked thrash-inspired stuff like Death, mid-period Sepultura and even Cannibal Corpse... which all had a bit of pace to it.

Oh, and Shades of god - I used to like this album, some good songs but the production is awful (especially the bass) and to me it is only average because it doesn't compare to the following two albums. Just my opinion though!

I got into Paradise Lost after i saw them playing with Bolt Thrower in 1991 on the GOTHIC tour in Edinburgh, thus i love the period of music.

My best mate got into Paradise Lost after getting ICON but like you got a nasty shock when he heard the earlier albums :D

I've always said Paradise Lost are one band that have drasticly changed there style over the years, i cant think of any band that have changed as much and kept almost the same line up.

Thus when buying a Paradise Lost album you cant be 100% sure what to expect, but thats no bad thing :up:

UPDATE: Maybe Entombed and Sepultura could be added to the list. :rockon:

I got into Paradise Lost after i saw them playing with Bolt Thrower in 1991 on the GOTHIC tour in Edinburgh' date=' thus i love the period of music.

My best mate got into Paradise Lost after getting ICON but like you got a nasty shock when he heard the earlier albums :D

I've always said Paradise Lost are one band that have drasticly changed there style over the years, i cant think of any band that have changed as much and kept almost the same line up.

Thus when buying a Paradise Lost album you cant be 100% sure what to expect, but thats no bad thing :up:

UPDATE: Maybe[b'] Entombed and Sepultura could be added to the list. :rockon:

without doubt Paradise Lost have changed the most probably more than any band in the world.

Compare Lost Paradise to either one second or host and it is IMPOSSIBLE to see any similarity between the two.

I wouldn't have said entombed have changed that much... still playing the rock and roll death metal approach which they perfected on Wolverine Blues - hard to believe that album is 12 years old now!

Sepultura have changed a fair bit, but they are still brutal and heavy and fast like when they started out, albeit in a totally different way.

Comparing Megadeth's 'Killing is My Business' and 'Risk' shows a change in a bands style, although again you can still tell it's the same band.