aberdeen-music

Stayover live track from the moorings

The Milner

Guest stuartmaxwell
Heh heh - both Hog and Bob are nice people.

I'm looking forward to meeting Stuart Maxwell and GraemeC' date=' two people that I've had run ins with on the boards LOL. And you know what - I'm guessing that neither of them turn out to have 2 heads after all LMAO!

:cheers:[/quote']

yeah i have met both of them and both are lovely chaps actually :)

one thing i dont have is two faces i can assure you that :)

i will stop by next weekend for a pint, i live in glasgow during the week you see :)

Tav - the best thing to do is come down to the var and listen to them both for real' date=' the let me know your opinion.[/quote']

Fine then I will...and I'll get some what drunk as well! See how you like that! When you in and willing to let one hear them on a *real* system? Plus Scott wants to go try out heaps of beer so that could kill two birds lol.

Can I get one sent to me too' date=' as mentally and physically I'm stuck in 1971 and the bus only reaches Kings Gate...

Hmmm technically I dont exist!?

Shwwoooooooooooooooooooooooowp![/quote']

well done phil, you've hit the seventies, i'm impressed!

I heard this on Friday in the moorings quite enjoyed it - But I have no musical talent what so ever' date=' so maybe its just tuneless old me that likes it for what it is.[/quote']

ur in the right place being on these boards having no musical talent whatsoever, ur in good company :D

Can I get one sent to me too' date=' as mentally and physically I'm stuck in 1971 and the bus only reaches Kings Gate...

To be honest I'd prefer to meet you first, at the moment your only a faceless avatar to me.

Also something you may be interested in... The Moorings is often unfairly tarred with catering for only rock or metal. My own tastes are much broader and I'm pushing the promoters to book varying genres to the same bills as these seem to produce better nights.

So far we've seen a fair bit of variation and this isn't often acknowledged:

Saz are rock 'n roll

The Usuals are quite indie

Emma Foreman is accoustic

The Funk Soul Brothers are jazzy

The Hexagonal Pensioners sound like Zappa

Contra are a punk reggie fusion

Deadenstereo are reminiscent of Radiohead

The Ghost of Bongo sounds like everything from Burt Bacharach to Lynyrd Skynyrd!

The Videos are art rock

The Void are space rock

48K are something else altogether

Identity are reminiscent of U2

Jo McAfferty is a solo accoustic performer

Silence in the Streets are punk with a samba beat

Driving on the Right are AOR

(these descriptions represent the authors stereotyping LOL)

All of those have gotten a fantastic reception from our audience.

So it might be worth popping in past because I'd not be adverse to giving you a gig - based on what I've heard.

Guest Zeenat Aman

Varied stuff indeed. I'd love to play my sundaramusic stuff live(but more beefed up heh), finding the other people and having the time to do it is proving rather difficult though.

To be honest I'd prefer to meet you first' date=' at the moment your only a faceless avatar to me.

Also something you may be interested in... The Moorings is often unfairly tarred with catering for only rock or metal. My own tastes are much broader and I'm pushing the promoters to book varying genres to the same bills as these seem to produce better nights.

So far we've seen a fair bit of variation and this isn't often acknowledged:

Saz are rock 'n roll

The Usuals are quite indie

Emma Foreman is accoustic

The Funk Soul Brothers are jazzy

The Hexagonal Pensioners sound like Zappa

Contra are a punk reggie fusion

Deadenstereo are reminiscent of Radiohead

The Ghost of Bongo sounds like everything from Burt Bacharach to Lynyrd Skynyrd!

The Videos are art rock

The Void are space rock

48K are something else altogether

Identity are reminiscent of U2

Jo McAfferty is a solo accoustic performer

Silence in the Streets are punk with a samba beat

Driving on the Right are AOR

(these descriptions represent the authors stereotyping LOL)

All of those have gotten a fantastic reception from our audience.

So it might be worth popping in past because I'd not be adverse to giving you a gig - based on what I've heard.[/quote']

The technical analysis is all very well and good.

Acutally it's a con because I can't determine the exact filesize vs running since it's not available for direct download. But the principle is correct.

The fact remains that some mp3s sound good.

Yes the less compression then generally the better they sound.

This isn't one of them.

No shit Sherlock! But the Cd sounds great. So your point is?

It's pretty shitty that the only way you can deal with criticism is by boasting about how good the engineer is' date=' how great the sound-system is and how you've got a better stereo than anyone else. That's pathetic.[/quote']

Yes shitty but it's not like I'm telling lies. Those are all facts.

And I have much more effective ways of dealing with criticism than that. They're just a lot more unpleasant.

When people talk about the 'sound'' date=' it's not merely a matter of the level of detail involved, it's about how the track works as a whole.[/quote']

Thanks for the lesson - how much do I owe you? I think MTA could use your guidence too, it's been a whole month since he got sent his last platinum disc and I fear he's getting rusty.

This said' date=' I'm aware that the recording was done using mics that were primarily there for PA purposes, as opposed to for specific recording purposes. The mix is pretty good when you take this into account[/quote']

Wow and you can tell all that from streamed audio. I bet your skills earn you millions a year don't they?

but' date=' as the old studio adage goes, you can't polish a turd.[/quote']

Actually I'm pretty sure that you'd polish up quite nicely - just give me 2 hours with an angle grinder and you'll be gleaming. <--- that was just my warped sense of humour BTW. The angle grinder is broken.

Detail only counts for so much. This doesn't sound all that special. No disrespect to anyone involved in the process.

Hey dood - NONE TAKEN!

Scene points plz...

EDIT: (This hasn't made things any better has it? But I enjoyed typing it and some people will enjoy reading it. Sorry.)

Varied stuff indeed. I'd love to play my sundaramusic stuff live(but more beefed up heh)' date=' finding the other people and having the time to do it is proving rather difficult though.[/quote']

Well I'm guessing that you're probably a very good improvisor, and obviously you are polyphonic. So how about coming along to our jam some Sunday. You'll also meet plenty of people there that'd be up for performing your stuff. We cater for horns, flutes, and keys too. It's a blast.

So how will you play it? Your stuck in 1971, no cd players! Maybe Flash could put it on to an 8 track casette or onto vinyl :jester:

i think phil needs a reel to reel for backing!

back to the point in question, finally got round to listening to the track, i dont think its too bad, the vocals are a bit dodgy, its got an athemic feel to it - dunno what all the fuss about the recording is, it sounds fine to me but then again i've only ever mastered recording and mixing onto a four track so wtf do i know? i'd rather hear it on CD mind, it lacks originality but as someone poster earlier i think its almost impossible to be totally original these days - whilst i still strive to hear it in music, i dont expect it anymore! yeah decent effort lads 6/10

Guest Zeenat Aman
Well I'm guessing that you're probably a very good improvisor' date=' and obviously you are polyphonic. So how about coming along to our jam some Sunday. You'll also meet plenty of people there that'd be up for performing your stuff. We cater for horns, flutes, and keys too. It's a blast.[/quote']

Once I get my sax and flute back from the doctors I think I will. It's the guys from hexagonal P's and lewis etc?

One thing, if it ends up sounding like jazz funk I'll puke. :laughing:

So how will you play it? Your stuck in 1971' date=' no cd players! Maybe Flash could make an 8 track recording or put the compilation onto vinyl :jester:[/quote']

Stop using these boards to pick holes in my imaginary world.

Acutally it's a con because I can't determine the exact filesize vs running since it's not available for direct download. But the principle is correct.

Yes the less compression then generally the better they sound.

No shit Sherlock! But the Cd sounds great. So your point is?

Yes shitty but it's not like I'm telling lies. Those are all facts.

And I have much more effective ways of dealing with criticism than that. They're just a lot more unpleasant.

Thanks for the lesson - how much do I owe you? I think MTA could use your guidence too' date=' it's been a whole month since he got sent his last platinum disc and I fear he's getting rusty.

Wow and you can tell all that from streamed audio. I bet your skills earn you millions a year don't they?

Actually I'm pretty sure that you'd polish up quite nicely - just give me 2 hours with an angle grinder and you'll be gleaming. <--- that was just my warped sense of humour BTW. The angle grinder is broken.

Hey dood - NONE TAKEN!

Scene points plz...

EDIT: (This hasn't made things any better has it? But I enjoyed typing it and some people will enjoy reading it. Sorry.)[/quote']

sorry, perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I don't care if your little friend shits molten platinum out his arse by the ingot. this sounds gash. I'm not talking about the bit-rate.

prick

What exactly are you saying sounds gash?? If it is the mp3 quality here is some more tech stuff but really easy to understand! Original file=76Mb, this mp3=2.3Mb.. Yes you can judge the song but not the quality of sound. Unless you have some really fancy re-encoder that nobody has heard of to put all the 95% of the missing data back,

i can only assume that the other 95% of the data was the good bits, if you'll pardon the pun. I've just done a bit of experimenting, turning wavs into mp3s and, although you lose a lot of the granularity, the sense of the overall acoustic remains pretty similar, though not as detailed. I imagine that the mp3 in question will sound just as bland (abeit with sparkling levels of detail) in wav form. And I don't like the song. Not being an engineer, I have the luxury of being able to treat a song and how it sounds as being the same thing.

Like I said in my original post, no disrespect to anyone involved in the process. However I resent the way Flash tells the world that their opinions count for nowt because he has better toys than them.

Guest Zeenat Aman
What exactly are you saying sounds gash?? If it is the mp3 quality here is some more tech stuff but really easy to understand! Original file=76Mb' date=' this mp3=2.3Mb.. Yes you can judge the song but not the quality of sound. Unless you have some really fancy re-encoder that nobody has heard of to put all the 95% of the missing data back,[/quote']

It's really rather simple, albums with good sound/production tend to still sound good even after lots of mp3 thingy bobin.

Why wont you just accept that some people think this sounds crap!?

Anyway, this is anal, good production, much like music itself, is a subjective thing. There is no universal right way/sound!

It's really rather simple' date=' albums with good sound/production tend to still sound good even after lots of mp3 thingy bobin.

Why wont you just accept that some people think this sounds crap!?

Anyway, this is anal, good production, much like music itself, is a subjective thing. There is no universal right way/sound![/quote']

You have to remember This was done LIVE, With full PA and monitors. It is not studio quality and has no Production!! As Flash has said, Come down and listen to the real thing then say what you like.

Guest Zeenat Aman
You have to remember This was done LIVE' date=' With full PA and monitors. It is not studio quality and has no Production!! As Flash has said, Come down and listen to the real thing then say what you like.[/quote']

To voluntarily listen to Stayover now would just be silly, perhaps no amount of production will save them from being shit!?

:gringo:

Out of interest, I would like to hear albums you've produced though. :)

To voluntarily listen to Stayover now would just be silly' date=' perhaps no amount of production will save them from being shit!?

:gringo:

Out of interest, I would like to hear albums you've produced though. :)[/quote']

I Have Engineered, Muse first 2 Albums, Supergrass "Supergrass" album Beta Band Los amigos EP, Idlewilde The Remote Part (tracks), Stiff Little Fingers, Guitar and drum (album). and many more..

Guest Zeenat Aman
I Have Engineered' date=' Muse first 2 Albums, Supergrass "Supergrass" album Beta Band Los amigos EP, Idlewilde The Remote Part (tracks), Stiff Little Fingers, Guitar and drum (album). and many more..[/quote']

Wow!!! :music: