aberdeen-music

Stayover live track from the moorings

The Milner

This is the best band in Aberdeen(according to jester375463947)!

:help::laughing:

yep Flip, eaily the band imo with the best chance of breaking out. Not the best i've heard from them (and i've only seen them once and heard a demo) but i think its a good qwuality recording and to appreciate the potential you have you need to see them live. For anyone who knows me they're not at all my type of music, having never heard blink 182 and generally preferring very dioffwerent types of music, they're hardly similar to Marillion, Fish etc but they still capture an energy most other bands only dream of. I stand by it, if they do things sensibly and continue to progress they could break out onto a more national scene at least. They, in general, handle their music and career professionally and a lot of bands can learn for that.

Cheers

Stuart

I'll agree with the blink182 comments. It does sound quite a lot like them but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. I don't think this performance would do your band justice though for the reasons other people have listed...vocals, drums and I really didn't enjoy the bass sound...a little farty to my ears and being a bassist that's usually the first part I critic <<< for a lack of better expression.

The sound of the recording isn't that great. I thought it was pretty crazy how defensive Flash got but, it's funny that he realised it himself first, good on you! I can say it isn't that great because I have the other recordings of Deadenstero <sp?> and to me they sound much better! So I don't know what happened here but it didn't hit that mark that the other Moorings recordings did...take it on the chin Flash can't get it right every time!

What do the other songs sound like from the night?

Guest neil ex
yep Flip' date=' eaily the band imo with the best chance of breaking out. Not the best i've heard from them (and i've only seen them once and heard a demo) but i think its a good qwuality recording and to appreciate the potential you have you need to see them live. For anyone who knows me they're not at all my type of music, having never heard blink 182 and generally preferring very dioffwerent types of music, they're hardly similar to Marillion, Fish etc but they still capture an energy most other bands only dream of. I stand by it, if they do things sensibly and continue to progress they could break out onto a more national scene at least. They, in general, handle their music and career professionally and a lot of bands can learn for that.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

They sound more commercially accessible than Sidca. Christ..

i think they only mastered one song...as its quite costly for recording...

That it is... :help: I was looking at the prices for having them done by MT and it's quite expensive...though relativly speaking really good value...infact being in a band is expensive just comes with territory.

Guest stuartmaxwell

i dont like the vocals at all, and the lyrics are tres poor, its a pretty mundane song

drums sound pretty good to me though, nice big toms. the bit at the end is ok

i reckon that there are many bands doing this style of stuff much better.

check out spyamp for a band doing the whole emo pop thing

http://www.mtsonline.co.uk/mtsaudio/Megaman.m4a

Some technical info that certain people might find embaressing (especially me if I've got my sums wrong ho ho):

A compact disc holds 650Mb of data. Thats megabytes. There's 8 bits in a byte. There's 1024 Kb in a Mb (kilobyte) and 1024 bytes in a Kb.

So a CD holds a total maximum of 650 * 1024 *1024 * 8 digital bits of data. Each bit representing either a binary 0 or a binary 1. That's a total of 5452595200 bits.

Now a 56K stremaing download means 56kbps. That's 56 kilobits per second. Note kiloBITS not bytes. There's 1024bits in a kbit. There's 60 seconds in a minute. An uncompressed CD holds 74mins of music. So scaling the 56K sample rate up to CD filling proportions we get 56 * 1024 * 60 * 74 bits of data. That's a total of 254607360 bits.

See where this is heading yet?

So to determine how much data is retained in the compression process we transform this into a percentage 100 / 5452595200 * 254607360 = 4.67%.

In other words more than 95% of the data content is lost! MORE THAN NINETY FIVE PERCENT GONE!

So imagine we take a picture of the Mona Lisa and divide it into 100 squares, then we remove 95 of them. How good will the Mona Lisa look afterwards?

Oh... but it gets much worse than that. See the sampling on a CD is 16bit. The sampling on the MP3 you are downloading is 8 bit. We can only generate binary integers between 0 and 255 with 8 bits of data. With 16bits we can generate integers between 0 and 65535. So the granularity of the playback is a fraction of what a CD produces. Incidentally we record in 24bits.

So now take each of those remaining Mona Lisa squares that are in 65536 colours (incl black) and translate them into only 256 colours (incl black). Hmm not very pretty is it!

This is why anyone judging the quality of the recording based on the MP3 download - regardless of what they play it back on - is stoopid.

Can we park this now?

Those that have heard the original recordings have almost fallen off their chairs with surprise at how good they sound. Obviously I'd prefer if only those people comented on the quality of the recording. For the record Hog, Jester, Cloud, Camie are among those that have heard Moorings recordings first hand, though out of those only Cloud has heard the Stayover one.

If anyone would like to hear these first hand then please PM me and we'll arrange it.

Cheers.

I have no idea why the Deadenstereo MP3s sound better, perhaps they are slightly less compressed but I can't be arsed checking. The Stayover recording IMO is an improvement on the Deadenstereo ones probably because Mark's getting more and more familiar with the setup.

When you're looking at that much data loss and such shitty sampling then goodness knows what goes missing, and certain things might sound better than others. For instance I can't hear any proper bass on either of the MP3s, although it is very much in evidence on the CD.

Flash

The technical analysis is all very well and good. The fact remains that some mp3s sound good. This isn't one of them. It's pretty shitty that the only way you can deal with criticism is by boasting about how good the engineer is, how great the sound-system is and how you've got a better stereo than anyone else. That's pathetic. When people talk about the 'sound', it's not merely a matter of the level of detail involved, it's about how the track works as a whole.

This said, I'm aware that the recording was done using mics that were primarily there for PA purposes, as opposed to for specific recording purposes. The mix is pretty good when you take this into account but, as the old studio adage goes, you can't polish a turd. Detail only counts for so much. This doesn't sound all that special. No disrespect to anyone involved in the process.

Guest Zeenat Aman
It's happening soon. PM me with your address and I'll have the work in progress sent to you this week.

Can I get one sent to me too, as mentally and physically I'm stuck in 1971 and the bus only reaches Kings Gate...

Hmmm technically I dont exist!?

Shwwoooooooooooooooooooooooowp!