aberdeen-music

Why I have no respect for the majors, and never will.

Guest Neubeatz

They'd suffer' date=' but then they'd just buy up the independents, who would be on their knees crying.[/quote']

i dunno about that, all i think is, the sooner illegal file sharing ends the better, use itunes if you'd preffer to download but this will benifit the music industry in general

Guest stuartmaxwell

i download and i buy,

ill say the same thing for this as i say for council tax and tv licences

tuff shite if ye get caught, if ye dont, whaey!

i dunno about that' date=' all i think is, the sooner illegal file sharing ends the better, use itunes if you'd preffer to download but this will benifit the music industry in general[/quote']

There is no need to download anyway since you can transfer music from CDs onto MP3 players quite easily. The only time I've downloaded music is live stuff and rareties which aren't commercially available, and if I got caught doing that I would just say to the band "well fucking release them on CD and I'll buy them. Ye cunts."

All bands should have songs that can't be bought on their sites. Then there's no excuse.

iTunes: I'll never use that until they stop raping the British market. 79p a song? Get cunted!

If I didnt download I wouldn't have half the CDs I have now. Its how I find out about bands.

same here. although with that said, i found out about quite a few bands via the mildly successful....ah who am i kidding...mixtape trade that went on aaaaaaaaaaages ago and died two weeks later.so c'mon folks, make tapes!

1973-4 the price of oil rocketed; the price of LPs was bumped up by ~ 30%....

1985 the price of oil plummeted. Strangely, records didn't drop in price. At all.

1979 - "Home taping is killing music!" - the major labels wanted to slap a levy on blank cassettes because (shock! horror!) people were taping their mates' LPs instead of buying their own - the industry was on the verge of collapse, artists would soon starve to death etc..

2004 - "File sharing is killing music" blah blah blah.

2004 - A label (Decca?) asks for help to find a pile of artists due back royalties. "We feel it is our moral duty to pay these people what they're due" One of the artists is David Bowie. How hard are they looking?

Major record labels are a business. They make money. Fuck art, they make money. You share files; that's money they think they should have. They are rich, you are poor, they have lawyers: pay up, scum.

If anyone on these boards believes that any major label bases it's decision to sign an artist on their belief in the intrinsic quality of that artists' work rather than the immediate commercial possibilities, then they need to gie themsels a bliddy good shak.

Sorry, got a bit grumpy there, and I know many labels are better than that, just let me get that off my kite.

J.

well if the majors lose a few million how the hell are they gonna keep their already too rich shareholders happy???

thing is these days they can track the fiends who are breaking the law and downloading music - its been going since the arrival of the cassette in the late 60's!

i download tracks that are hard to get hold of and also to listen to new bands, dont think there's anything wrong with that - if i think a band is good enough then i'll buy the CD anyway.

i download tracks that are hard to get hold of and also to listen to new bands' date=' dont think there's anything wrong with that - if i think a band is good enough then i'll buy the CD anyway.[/quote']

That's exactly what I used to do until my PC started fucking up every time I used soulseek. But there are some out there who don't seem to see anything wrong with nicking music which is commercially available.

We all know the majors are the spawn of satan etc etc, but I sincerely doubt that the folk who download tons of stuff actually give a toss whether or not the label they are ripping off is Sony or We Have No Money Records.

The fact is bands should put stuff on their own websites; live gigs, past b-sides etc. I would.

there are some out there who don't seem to see anything wrong with nicking music which is commercially available.

The fact is bands should put stuff on their own websites; live gigs' date=' past b-sides etc. I would.[/quote']

I dont' see a problem with downloading music or software, the more people that do it the better. I believe in COPYRIGHT, in the sense that an artist or programmer can claim sole rights to the stuff they have produced. However, this is not the same as what the MPAA and RIAA would have you believe is copyright, what they are concerned with is royalities. They are nothing more than third-party pimps, exploiting both the artist and the consumer. I say download whatever you want, you would have to be a moron to spend 10 quid on a CD when you can download the same material off the internet for free.

Don't whine crap like "oh but when you buy a CD or a vinyl you get the cover art and a sleeve!" What the fuck? Do you buy a marsbar because you like to keep the wrapper? Don't be fooled by these value-adding tricks the record companies use.

We have power over the music industry, as consumers, in a way which is forever lost in other sectors. If we all continue to download music and films and software, they will be forced to change the way they operate. So what if they prosecute a handful of people, so what if they try to publicise those cases in an attempt to intimidate us? Technology has made their business model obselete, don't give in to the propoganda.

To those of you who say shit like "i always buy the cd anway" or "i buy the cd because piracy damages the artists" - YOU ARE WRONG. Piracy damages the middle men, the fuckers who are ripping us all off, artists and consumers alike, and that's why they hate it. Therefore, PIRACY IS GOOD.