aberdeen-music

Aberdeen University Symphony Orchestra - 7th March

Monday March 7th, 7.30pm Aberdeen Music Hall.

Rachmaninoff - Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, feat. Joseph Long on Piano

Varse - Ionisation for 13 percussion players

Beethoven - Symphony no.5 in c minor. (Aye the famous one)

The University Symphony Orchestra concert begins at 7.30pm in the Music Hall. Tickets costs 10 and 7.50 (Concessions 7.50 and 5) and are available at Aberdeen Box Office on (01224) 641122, or online at www.musichallaberdeen.com .

Guest Ancient Mariner

I will try and buy tickets for that, and the good ladies at the Box Office will say "oh, you get in for next to nothing on the night" and I'll end up without a ticket.

Are you in the orchestra?

Guest Ancient Mariner

Who is Varese? And why play one composer's most famous work, along side the relatively obscure work of another, rather than Rachmaninoff's almost equally famous Symphony No.2?

Who is Varese? And why play one composer's most famous work' date=' along side the relatively obscure work of another, rather than Rachmaninoff's almost equally famous Symphony No.2?[/quote']

Why not?

If it's bringing out a piece then surely that's a good thing?

Besides, I didn't set the repetoire, and I'm not even playing in the Varese. It'll be interesting to hear it next to the other 2 pieces though.

Guest davetherave
Why not?

Besides' date=' I didn't set the repetoire, and I'm not even playing in the Varese. It'll be interesting to hear it next to the other 2 pieces though.[/color']

I'm guessing RBW is still deciding what gets played at university concerts? I think the University should do something more modern, Rock operas maybe like Tommy. ;)

Or some Prog Rock mixed with Wagner and some ambient soundscapes thrown in for good measure. AU is too stuck in its ways, loads of talented students, but the same old music programmed year in year out (excluding Pete and Bill) :)

Cheers, Dave.

Dont eat the yellow snow!!

Guest Ancient Mariner
Edgar Varese isn't really obscure. Check this out...

All roads lead to planetzappa.com! I wasn't saying he was obscure, I was just saying I haven't heard of him, I was saying the Rachmaninoff piece was obscure compared to the Beethoven piece. I will go, tho, because I bet you could count on one hand the amount of times Aberdeen has hosted any 20th Century work, so this is a rare opportunity.

^Nae true. I've been at plenty of concerts where a relatively new work has been brought out, including commissions.

For example, last summer NYOS played the Berg Violin concerto. If you go to any concerts in the Youth Festival you'd hear alot of new works.

And aye RBW is still head of the music dept. which does still exist.

I'm pretty sure it's changed.

I'm not doing music but there are a good few people in the orchestra who are studying it at Aberdeen. Quite a few learning to do teaching etc etc.

Not entirely sure which courses they offer, but the department most definitely exists... with real courses...

Guest Ancient Mariner
^Nae true. I've been at plenty of concerts where a relatively new work has been brought out' date=' including commissions.

For example, last summer NYOS played the Berg Violin concerto. If you go to any concerts in the Youth Festival you'd hear alot of new works.

[/quote']

I'd be very impressed if that was the case (regarding commissions). Now that I think on it, I have heard a 20th Century work by Shostakovich peformed at the Youth Festival. But outside that, the orchestras that visit Aberdeen from elsewhere in Britain play Romantic standards.

What is the NYOS?

Calum gets a cookie ;)

I'd be very impressed if that was the case (regarding commissions). Now that I think on it' date=' I have heard a 20th Century work by Shostakovich peformed at the Youth Festival. But outside that, the orchestras that visit Aberdeen from elsewhere in Britain play Romantic standards.

What is the NYOS?[/quote']

Si, first time I played with NYOS in Aberdeen we did Shostakovich 5 - awesome symphony.

Edinburgh Youth Orchestra are playing it when they come up in April aswell.

BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra regularly plays Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Maxwell Geddes, Britten... 20th Century music doesn't get ignored... maybe you're just going to the wrong concerts ;)