aberdeen-music

Jack Daniels is shit

Guest Tam o' Shantie

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here here' date=' just bought it on DVD - superb! especially Fur Q :love:[/quote']

Brass Eye really is amazing......his new show Nathan Barley is pretty fucking awesome...

Best line on brass eye...the first line CM says 'you're wrong and youre a grostely ugly freak'........

The herion school......laughing my big jiggly man boobs off......im going upstairs to watch brass on dvd any minute now!

Brass Eye really is amazing......his new show Nathan Barley is pretty fucking awesome...

Best line on brass eye...the first line CM says 'you're wrong and youre a grostely ugly freak'........

The herion school......laughing my big jiggly man boobs off......im going upstairs to watch brass on dvd any minute now!

ha ha ha - yeah think i may watch a couple of episodes when i get home from work!

Work? WORK? Brass Eye is a legimate excuse for going home early!

Well im actually away now you grostely ugly freaks!!.........

well if you call speaking into a microphone and playing music (though some of the tunes that me playlist conjours up is an insult to that word!) work then yes! though sadly this is one job where you cant nip home early!

well at least something can done about fat - but what about me fat and english? i have no hope whatsover!

Second only to being HIV positive. Oops you're not infected as well are you? Whoa stupid question... who in their right mind wold share their drugs with a fat englishman, or worse *shudder* 'do it' with one?

But anyway back on topic...

JD is one of the quality mass produced brands along with Smirnoff, Bacardi, Gordons, etc. These brands offer a consistently good quality wherever you drink - provided the pub doesn't cheat and fill up the bottles with something inferior, and there is plenty inferior!

JD trades on not being a bourbon, but that's more geographic than anything else. It's also fortunate to have the whole rock 'n roll thing attached to it, and is a more accessable drink that most malt whiskys, or Appletons 21 - those are connosouers (err spelling) drinks.

However, given the choice I would always opt for something a little less mass produced and more finely crafted. That's why I prefer Woodford Reserve, Makers Mark, and Knob Creek, all of which contain significantly more alcohol so although they may be slightly dearer they offer more bang per buck. And they taste better.

The Appleton 21 comparison is interesting because when mixed with an equal measure of real coke and no ice many people mistake this oak aged rum for a bourbon. Some people even mistake it for a malt whisky when served neat.

Here's how I convert someone away from JD. I ask them to try drinking Knob Creek all night instead and see if it makes them feel any different. They usually have a much more positive reaction and a better time. Then they realise that they've drunk less and in spent less money in total. After that they tend to drink the smaller batch bourbons. Don't they Giant Pete?

I suppose Im a strange one (suppose?). Graeme C touched on the subject about "a mature pallet".

I love red wine, also, I greatly appreciate the taste and all the characters which make a good bottle bottle of wine. However, I have never appreciated Whisky, I dont like it. I would like to em...like it. Any recommendations on an easy starter for Whisky? Or should I admit defeat and just admit that I hate the stuff?

Guest stuartmaxwell

mr hog

try lagavullan 12 or 14years

very lovely, not too peaty and it doesnt smack ye in the face.

if you decide you like the peaty taste try laphroig or talisker

i dont mind whisky, my old man has a huge collection or rare and old whisky, any of their holidays usually involve whisky at some point

Second only to being HIV positive. Oops you're not infected as well are you? Whoa stupid question... who in their right mind wold share their drugs with a fat englishman' date=' or worse *shudder* 'do it' with one?[/quote']

good to see you havent lost your sense of humour flash :rockon:

mr hog

try lagavullan 12 or 14years

very lovely' date=' not too peaty and it doesnt smack ye in the face.

if you decide you like the peaty taste try laphroig or talisker

i dont mind whisky, my old man has a huge collection or rare and old whisky, any of their holidays usually involve whisky at some point[/quote']

Cheers Mr Maxwell

Cheers Mr Maxwell

Actually a couple of simple clean malts to get you started are Glenmorangie and Glenfidich, both quite different but nice, morangie is a very easy drink. Some people say that water opens up the taste but I'm not a lover of water in my malt, if you do choose to put some h2o in use bottled water or an ice cube.

But anyway back on topic...

JD is one of the quality mass produced brands along with Smirnoff' date=' Bacardi, Gordons, etc. These brands offer a consistently good quality wherever you drink - provided the pub doesn't cheat and fill up the bottles with something inferior, and there is plenty inferior!

JD trades on not being a bourbon, but that's more geographic than anything else. It's also fortunate to have the whole rock 'n roll thing attached to it, and is a more accessable drink that most malt whiskys, or Appletons 21 - those are connosouers (err spelling) drinks.

However, given the choice I would always opt for something a little less mass produced and more finely crafted. That's why I prefer Woodford Reserve, Makers Mark, and Knob Creek, all of which contain significantly more alcohol so although they may be slightly dearer they offer more bang per buck. And they taste better.

The Appleton 21 comparison is interesting because when mixed with an equal measure of real coke and no ice many people mistake this oak aged rum for a bourbon. Some people even mistake it for a malt whisky when served neat.

Here's how I convert someone away from JD. I ask them to try drinking Knob Creek all night instead and see if it makes them feel any different. They usually have a much more positive reaction and a better time. Then they realise that they've drunk less and in spent less money in total. After that they tend to drink the smaller batch bourbons. Don't they Giant Pete?[/quote']

Can I assume you have all these beverages behind the bar at your fine establishment?

I suppose Im a strange one (suppose?). Graeme C touched on the subject about "a mature pallet".

I love red wine' date=' also, I greatly appreciate the taste and all the characters which make a good bottle bottle of wine. However, I have nTever appreciated Whisky, I dont like it. I would like to em...like it. Any recommendations on an easy starter for Whisky? Or should I admit defeat and just admit that I hate the stuff?[/quote']

There's actually (and I don't use that word lightly) a technique to drinking neat spirits and malts in particular. I'll try and describe it, but it's easier to err 'show you'. Best thing to start with IMO is Laphroig although Polish pepper wodka is another good drink to illustrate this. Here goes:

First stick your nose in and take a deep sniff of the glass. 90% of 'taste' is in fact small. Then suck in a LITTLE sip, kind of similar to the posh way of eating soup, or the noise that Hannibal Lecter makes after talking about a fine chianti. But just a little sip, then swallow it IMMEDIATELY. Don't hold it in your mouth because it will only pickle your taste buds. In fact spirits are usually 'tasted' more at the back of the throat. Then IMMEDIATLEY suck in another LITTLE sip and swallow that fast also. Then a third. Now you can stop and consider what you've just tasted. In the case of Laphroig it should starting to resemble smokey honey that's been infused with pine needles over a peat fire. There may also been a pleasant oily medicinal character to it.

Now swallow a bit, then nose back in the glass and keep going.

That's all there is to it.

Come along tonight and I'll help you along :)