aberdeen-music

Detention for Bieldside Fireraisers

Guest tv tanned

Guest tv tanned

Detention for fire attack youths

Two teenagers who burned down a 300,000 house in an upmarket Aberdeen suburb have been locked up for 18 months each.

Lawyer Duncan Kerr and his wife Fiona Bentley-Kerr lost virtually all of their possessions in the blaze.

William Barron, 17, and a 15-year-boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, admitted starting the fire.

Aberdeen Sheriff Court heard that one of the boys, who had been drinking, had fallen out with the couple's daughter.

They admitted starting the fire in the five-bedroom house on 4 July last year.

The duo were then among the first on the scene at Baillieswells Drive, Bieldside, when the alarm was raised and watched the emergency services tackle the blaze.

Sheriff Colin Harris said there was no option but custody.

Mr Kerr said afterwards: "I have got to be happy with the sheriff's decision.

"I am just glad that it's all over with."

Fiscal depute Karen Dow told the court that the family were away on the night of the fire.

Barron and the couple's daughter were friends but fell out when he got a new girlfriend.

Boys running

The boys got into the house in the early hours of the morning and were drinking, smoking and vandalising rooms before starting the fire.

The court was told that a neighbour raised the alarm after hearing noise and saw the teenagers outside "giggling in a very high-pitched way and running backwards and forwards".

The fiscal depute said: "The house was severely damaged by the fire. The insurers estimated it was cheaper to demolish the house and build a new one than attempt to rebuild it."

Barron later said curtains were set alight and the fire got out of control, but he did not try to put it out.

He said he had "something against" the couple's daughter.

Apology offer

Barron's defence lawyer Lynn Bentley said: "He was heavily under the influence of alcohol. He offers his unreserved apologies.

"He has been absolutely terrified of the prospect of going to custody."

Jim Hay, defending the younger boy, said: "He feels extreme remorse for what has happened, and has indicated that if he could turn the clock back he would."

Sheriff Colin Harris, ordering 18 months' detention for both boys, said: "I feel there is no other option but custody."

Mr Kerr, 38, his 32-year-old wife and their 15-year-old daughter have been living in temporary accommodation ever since - but plan to rebuild their home.

Mr Kerr added: "Everything was destroyed. We will rebuild the house and see how we feel about staying - it has been a difficult time."

From BBC news

Finally, for ONCE some youths have actually been punished properly for their actions!

Can't tell you how glad I was to read that article, no pussy-footing around with the whole 'they are just kids' or 'blame the parents' bullshit - just nice simple justice the way its supposed to be. I would also take any expenses incured by the family out of the two kids wages for life until it is all repaid...

Guest gilly
WOAH "William Barron" went to my school but he clamied his name was Andrew...........That boy was an absolute wank

Yeh.. I never knew his name was William?

I would also take any expenses incured by the family out of the two kids wages for life until it is all repaid...

Aye, steady on. When these two kids get out of jail, they will hopefully have learned from their mistakes and be ready to get on with their lives. if you had your way, they would be 50 years old (300,000 divided by 2 = 150,000. Paying off 5,000 a year would take 30 years) by the time their debt to 'society' was repaid. They're arsonists, not murderers. No one got hurt, justice was done.

Aye' date=' steady on. When these two kids get out of jail, they will hopefully have learned from their mistakes and be ready to get on with their lives. if you had your way, they would be 50 years old (300,000 divided by 2 = 150,000. Paying off 5,000 a year would take 30 years) by the time their debt to 'society' was repaid. They're arsonists, not murderers. No one got hurt, justice was done.[/quote']

Remember the family will get most of that from insurance - their expenses will be a smallish % of the claim, a few weeks in a hotel etc etc... will probably only end up as a few k tops... no way they can par 300k... It just strikes me as unfair - the jail term punishes them for the stress and upset to the family, but its not right that the family also isnt compensated for any financial loss on their part.

WOAH "William Barron" went to my school but he clamied his name was Andrew...........That boy was an absolute wank

He went by Andrew at school, he didn't hide the fact his name was William, but he preferred it i think. I don't know. He was allright to me, I was in most classes with him for two years, i do have a scar on my hand from him though :(

Guest gilly
Heh Cults "boys" heh' date=' so thats why they just got 18 months.

If they had been tilly or torry, they'd have got 5 years each!!!

one law............[/quote']

Yeh, whatever.

Barron seemed like a total show off.