aberdeen-music

IDENTITY @ KEF, Monday, 7th March

Guest stuartmaxwell

no he mentioned to daniel about reputation and how he would get a bad one.

he is part of good for nothing, who (in my eyes) are a diy collective, where the gigs are about the music and not the bullshit that flies about with it??

maybe im wrong, who knows. ive wasted too much of my life on this thread

identity want to be taken seriously they need to stop playing two gigs in three days in abdn, need to bugger off and work on everything and come back as a finished unit (i.e. off the stage and on the stage), and get their singer sorted out etc. that is all i have left to say in this thread

xxx

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bbbbuuubbbutututubtut but

it is a rubbish band name' date=' like its actually fucking terrible...[/quote']

Whats the problem you have with these guys ?

I haven't heard them but i give them respect for trying, they may do some things wrong along the way but they're trying to learn and be the best they can, I think that deserves respect, they're being professional, asking questions and trying to be the best they can to move out of Aberdeen, as far as i can see, fair play to them.

Cheers

Stuart

Yes' date=' but we were a bunch of clueless 13 year olds and i'm embarassed to think about it now.

There's one small problem with all this effort "identity" are putting in to every thing, they're awful.[/quote']

But music is subjective, you may think they're awfull but Cloud who's a promoter doesn't which counts for a lot.

Cheers

Stuart

he is part of good for nothing' date=' who (in my eyes) are a diy collective, where the gigs are about the music and not the bullshit that flies about with it??

identity want to be taken seriously they need to stop playing two gigs in three days in abdn, need to bugger off and work on everything and come back as a finished unit (i.e. off the stage and on the stage), and get their singer sorted out etc. that is all i have left to say in this thread

xxx[/quote']

we played two gigs in 4 days whats your point?

Shouid a new band not gig as often as possible to get them up to the right gig readyness, there is no better way to get better at giging than to gig, why a guru like yourself should know this stuart.

he is part of good for nothing' date=' who (in my eyes) are a diy collective, where the gigs are about the music and not the bullshit that flies about with it??

xxx[/quote']

Are you saying that in a DIY collective that its fine to be unprofessional, GFN are trying to branch out with bigger gigs like the Great Deceiver and for dealing with people like that it is important to be professional, and it makes it easier for boththe promoter and the band, it is possible to be professional and still in it for the music.

As Milner says its important to gig sometimes and it is the best way for a band to get tight, I'm not sure why there seems to be animosity to bands who are trying to break out in Aberdeen, if they're gigging twice a week and people are actually going to see them, whats the problem ?

Cheers

Stuart

To be fair identity doesn't really grab people by the balls and say "Come and see us, we're ace", it's just a bit of a guff name, also now the name of a film... pretty hard when people are searching for your band on the net. To me it's just a pretty generic word that doesn't really say or mean anything regarding the band or the music. About the site, please turn off the mp3 when you enter, it clashed with my music player and made me want to vomit.

There's one small problem with all this effort "identity" are putting in to every thing' date=' they're awful.[/quote']

Yes. Too much effort.

I'm not even going to look at the website.

Fair enough, you're allowed to like your own band to an extent, but wearing your own bands T-Shirt when you're playing a gig is a sin. A horrible sin.

The singer does this funny pigeon thing on stage with his head.

The manager thing is just pointless. What managing do a small local band need? And if they really needed managing, surely someone who actually knows how to manage a band would be better fitted to the job.

I'm trying to be as unoffensive as possible, but its really difficult. Watching this band on stage made me want to get hideously drunk.

Each to their own etc. but I really can't stand it. If more effort was put into making the music sound good as opposed to self-promotion (on the back of nothing special) it would be a much better way of spending time.

The manager thing is just pointless. What managing do a small local band need? And if they really needed managing' date=' surely someone who actually knows how to manage a band would be better fitted to the job.[/quote']

Weren't you involved in the band managing lark a while back?

Anyway - they're not just a "small local band", they're ridiculously ambitious, they're gaining shitloads of gigging experience pretty quickly, they'll take bookings anywhere (not a bad thing) and they're generally aiming to go somewhere. They're also very professional about the way they do things - if they weren't, we wouldn't have offered them a chance to play the Tsunami/Band Aid gig at Moshulu. Considering they're hardly long term professionals on the Aberdeen gigging scene, I'd say that was a pretty big compliment to their abilities at this stage.

As I've said earlier in this thread - there's nothing wrong whatsoever with having a manager at this level, it means they're left to play the music without the hassles of organising the band - and simply by having a manager, more doors are likely to be opened as a result of it - heck, from a personal level, if someone's band manager contacted me, I'd be impressed solely because they had the idea of getting someone to manage their affairs - and first impressions count for a hell of a lot in the music industry, don't they?

Yes. Too much effort.

I forgot to mention this.

What's the difference between what Identity have done and what MMW and Stayover have done? Fuck all - and like it or hate it, those two bands have built up a following..you can't argue with people turning up at your gigs, can you?

Guest stuartmaxwell

heck' date=' from a personal level, if someone's band manager contacted me, I'd be impressed solely because they had the idea of getting someone to manage their affairs - and first impressions count for a hell of a lot in the music industry, don't they?[/quote']

when did you become a hot shot??

must have missed something...somewhere??

:)

most band managers at toilet level tend to be hangers on who've watched the great rock n roll swindle once too often, not talented enough to actually be in the band itself and read an article on the bbc website about how important it is to have a manager....

of course i'm talking generally here

Yes. Too much effort.

I'm not even going to look at the website.

Fair enough' date=' you're allowed to like your own band to an extent, but wearing your own bands T-Shirt when you're playing a gig is a sin. A horrible sin.

The singer does this funny pigeon thing on stage with his head.

The manager thing is just pointless. What managing do a small local band need? And if they really needed managing, surely someone who actually knows how to manage a band would be better fitted to the job.

I'm trying to be as unoffensive as possible, but its really difficult. Watching this band on stage made me want to get hideously drunk.

Each to their own etc. but I really can't stand it. If more effort was put into making the music sound good as opposed to self-promotion (on the back of nothing special) it would be a much better way of spending time.[/quote']

well, at least we made ya feel something ;oP

Seriously, its personal taste and with more bookings coming in daily for the band there is some who do like our sounds.

Its to be expected that there will be some who just plain don't like the band. Fair do. Got no jest with that.

Constructive comments however wouldn't go amiss, but that's being hopeful I guess. hehe

Nevermind, my mamma told me you can't please them all, all of the time and too if I didn't have anything nice to say about someone or something, just not to say anything at all....and with that I'm off. hehe

Take care all, and don't change a thing

Bobbie

Manager

IDENTITY

http://myidentity.moonfruit.com

Weren't you involved in the band managing lark a while back?

Anyway - they're not just a "small local band"' date=' they're ridiculously ambitious, they're gaining shitloads of gigging experience pretty quickly, they'll take bookings anywhere (not a bad thing) and they're generally aiming to go somewhere. They're also very professional about the way they do things - if they weren't, we wouldn't have offered them a chance to play the Tsunami/Band Aid gig at Moshulu. Considering they're hardly long term professionals on the Aberdeen gigging scene, I'd say that was a pretty big compliment to their abilities at this stage.

As I've said earlier in this thread - there's nothing wrong whatsoever with having a manager at this level, it means they're left to play the music without the hassles of organising the band - and simply by having a manager, more doors are likely to be opened as a result of it - heck, from a personal level, if someone's band manager contacted me, I'd be impressed solely because they had the idea of getting someone to manage their affairs - and first impressions count for a hell of a lot in the music industry, don't they?[/quote']

Thanks for your comments. I'm deeply appreciative and moved by your words of support.

Managing, hum........ my take so far..

The thing is I've known the bassist for neigh on 2 years as he lives 3 doors down from my house.

I watched the band working hard with jamming, struggling to get transport, booking gigs, etc and basically they love music so much they will hit a brick wall running each time until there is some breakage to the wall.simply let them through it to the other side.called success.

The first time I stepped in to help was to get them a place to jam. Its was my garage but my neighbour wasn't keen on it and outta respect I went in search again, and found through a friend of mine a place they could jam without any worries. Then I sorted out some in-band issues and found that more and more I was getting involved (or dragged in from other peoples perspective) and because they are great guys with a dream, I made the move on the day of my dad's funeral ..

- that of approaching them with the idea of me being a manager to help them with all the issues that cover being in a band, i.e. transport, money, bookings, sounds, writing, demos, contacts, image, etc.

I knew I was going into the deep end here, but I believe that if you've a dream it helps if someone can assist ya in achieving it. My take on that is, they have a dream to make it...nothing wrong with that, as there isn't a band, actor, singer, etc who doesn't want and have the taste for success. Its human nature to want to do what you love and be a success at it.

I want to help them get a full crack at it. I can give 110% and this way if by a certain set time theyve not made it, then at least when they hit my age of 40+, they wont be thinking, I wish I would of done this, or tried that.

Now, Im not reliving a dream. Im not trying to make a success for myself that some might think got lost in my youth. Im trying to help them achieve their dream. Simple as that.

If that makes some here on this thread suspect; then I feel sorry for ya, you obviously dont get it.

Its not about just the music all of the time, its about people trying to achieve their own personal goal.

If that means that my husband and myself can get them along and assist them closer to this dream, then at the end of the day at least someone gave them a helping hand and was there to give support, advice and assistanceso if they dont make it, all 4 know deep down inside that every stone WAS unturned, ever avenue travelled and all dreams captured and realised to their fullestthen they can move on with their lives with the knowledge they gave it their all.

Nothing wrong in having someone believe in ya.

Take care,

Bobbie

Manager

IDENTITY

Guest Zeenat Aman

Who does Stuart have such a problem with this band?

Should they follow the example led by Orwell? To wear a kilt on stage and then fall down, exposing his micro penis!?:p