aberdeen-music

And we think we have it bad!!!

Fluffy

Considering the weight of water i doubt that the branches would be able to withstand such strain and how come there's nothing on the walls of the houses when (going by the direction of the 'icicles' on the trees) the wind would have blown all the rain towards the wall.....

Speaking of cold, my friend from Gomel in Belarus says it was -20 the other week... that's insane.

Guest Ancient Mariner
Speaking of cold' date=' my friend from Gomel in Belarus says it was -20 the other week... that's insane.[/quote']

We've had that here before, and I take pride in the fact.

Those pictures are not real. Were did the water come from? Was Joe Bloggs washing his car, and before the water could drain from the car, a cold front moved in?

We've had that here before' date=' and I take pride in the fact.

Those pictures are not real. Were did the water come from? Was Joe Bloggs washing his car, and before the water could drain from the car, a cold front moved in?[/quote']

If you'd bothered to read the thread you'd have the answers to those. It was beside Lake Geneva...

These pictures of cars, boats, trees, and other landscape features encrusted with ice from severe cold weather began circulating on the Internet in late January 2005, accompanied by viewer-added comments such as "Now this is what I'd call really cold...brrrrrrrrr"; "Sure glad that it doesn't get this cold here"; "So, How cold was it?"; and "Next time you're complaining while scraping the ice off your windscreen, think again!"

Various e-mailed versions of these photos claim such different origins for them as "From a recent Massachusetts storm with hurricane-speed winds" to "Pictures from Lake Geneva, Switzerland January 2005." The latter is correct, as these pictures correspond to other photographs and news accounts of a freezing storm that hit the area of Lake Lman (also known as Lake Geneva), Switzerland, in January 2005. One news account, for example, reported that:

The cold did not save sailing ships moored in the ports of Lman. In Geneva, several boats sank under the weight of the ice. Several minor roads were closed, passage having been made impossible by the ice and the snowdrifts. In downtown Geneva, Servette Street was closed after the rupture of a water pipeline transformed the roadway into a true skating rink.

These images also correspond to similar photos on a web site which identifies them as pictures of Lake Lman, taken on 26 January 2005. (Presumably the objects shown have been coated with spray from waves breaking on the lake's shore, which then hardened into a solid coating in the sub-freezing temperatures.) The translated title of this French-language page is "Wind and ice on Geneva," and the text notes that the pictures were taken on the shores of Lake Lman during winds gusting up to 110 km/h.

The pictures actually are real.