aberdeen-music

Programmers..

Guest gilly

sounds like you've missed out an argument while running a compiler. For example it requires you to specify the path of the file you're compiling from or it wants you to specify and output path to compile to.. what were you trying to do?

Guest gilly

Ok.. i'm new to this programming malarky.. so what's an argument?

I have a really basic program and i'm trying to loop it so i'm "calling" all my private subs in a sub for a button click in Visual Basic. I originally had global variables and it worked perfectly. But as soon as i changed them and tried to use parameter passing it stopped working. Now i'm confused.

Guest gilly

Heh. Yeh compilers are SO handy. The worst thing about this program was that every time i got it working I was told something else had to change. First I had globals - then "Global variables are strictly a no no". So i got it today with locals. Then i'm told "You need a separate sub to display the answers". I don't see why I couldn't just leave my original.

Fair enough globals stand a risk of being overwritten.. but since i'd written my program properly and it was running with the test data supplied, i don't see what the issue was there?

Heh. Yeh compilers are SO handy. The worst thing about this program was that every time i got it working I was told something else had to change. First I had globals - then "Global variables are strictly a no no". So i got it today with locals. Then i'm told "You need a separate sub to display the answers". I don't see why I couldn't just leave my original.

Fair enough globals stand a risk of being overwritten.. but since i'd written my program properly and it was running with the test data supplied' date=' i don't see what the issue was there?[/quote']

It's just good technique. If a variable is only going to be used in one procedure and isn't going to be touched by anything else then make it local.

just for writing programs in the big wide world, globals would be a pain in the arse when you get into thousands of lines of code. Keep it local for local people... sorry bad impression there.

the more you keep thigns local the happier lecturers are... it means they dont have to look up n down a page to see what you're doing!.. lazy buggers!

Guest gilly

*shakes fist*

Ah well.. I suppose it makes sense. But still.. what a karfuffle. I wish I'd known from the beginning.

I guess I'll know for future reference. Hopefully I wont need it though as i have no desire to become a programmer in the future.

Who was that directed at?

ah yes' date=' like sorry, wrong thread completely somehow. Should have been this thread [url']http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21854&page=2

Jimmy Jazz

Well, since Malx has had some success in finding help, anyone know anything about javascript?? Suddenly it seemed to stop working on my comp and i can't do fast replies on this site and can't open my emails in hotmail. I tried fiddling about with the security settings but didn't have a clue what i was doing and it made no difference.

Jimmy Jazz

was replied to by

MattJimF

Try going to the sun website and download the latest java platform.

MattJimF