aberdeen-music

Is it true?

Guest Electric Tibet

It's called wax potting. The wax stops the internal parts of the pickup from vibrating, preventing microphonic feedback (the really really high pitched squealy type). Most pickups have this done when they're made.

Guest stuartmaxwell

aye but with the lights and the sweat and the like?? :)

whenever i have played it normally feels like a 100 degrees, never mind gigs that are heaving...

Guest lime ruined my life

the wax melts at very very high temperatures, it will not melt on stage.

when i did this i used 2/3's pelets for making candles which i got from the art shop on school hill,, and 1/3 bees wax (to stop it being too brittle)i got from a hardware store on george street,

you too can do this, put the wax in a tin you dont mind having wax melted in, lower the tin in a pan of boiling water, melt the wax together in the tin,, and dip your pickups in holding it by a wire (coathanger through one of the screw holes), if air bubbles espcape, then it wasnt potted right. the wax is very hot though, so careful.

you usually only need to do this on cheap pickups. i.e stock on a squire. you can test if they are microphonic by shouting into them, if it comes through loud and acts like a microphone you might consider wax potting.

wax potting may also change the tone of you're pickup, for the worse, or better, depending.

microphonic pickups can be useful, if you're into that sort of thing.

i have a whole bunch of stock microphonic pickups in a cupboard, which i might use one day.

perhaps to make a robot which can love.

you can test if they are microphonic by shouting into them' date=' if it comes through loud and acts like a microphone you might consider wax potting.

[/quote']

Or not cause it's an ace trick. Although flicking your guitar up and screaming into the pickups maybe doesn't have quite the same effect if you're a nice quiet indie band.

Guest lime ruined my life
Or not cause it's an ace trick. Although flicking your guitar up and screaming into the pickups maybe doesn't have quite the same effect if you're a nice quiet indie band.

im not in an indie band...