aberdeen-music

The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute

Larsen B

I've only listened to it once so far but i can fairly say it's an overblown disappointment of epic Phantom Menace-esque proportions. It's just sounds so lacking in purpose, intent or emotion. Only the Miranda That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore and the Sarcophagi section of Cygnus have struck a chord with me at all. I think they might be running out of ideas already although to be fair De-Loused in the Comatorium had more ideas than most bands have in their whole career.

Guest Zeenat Aman

I'd like to hear the band use a horn section... have they got any songs with woodwind and brass?

I've only heard the de-loused album in a car, and was dissapointed with it. I think the titles of the new songs kinda let you know this is going to be OTT bollocks.

an overblown disappointment of epic Phantom Menace-esque proportions.

fucksticks.

really?

i was really looking forward to this one-heard a fair few tracks,not in order or anything,wasn't sure at first but they were real growers,haven't heard the album as a whole yet,was gonna buy it later today

damn,was really looking forward to this one!

I am really annoyed with myself cos i said my first statement with so much conviction but now I'm slowly starting to change my mind. It is a bit of a grower certainly i just felt so disappointed upon first listen that i didn't even think it would grow on me. I'd now say that there are 3 good "songs" being Cygnus, The Widow and Miranda. L'via has it's moments but the start is almost 80s hair metal sounding and the dubby part seems a bit predictable. The half hour long Cassandra Gemini is just shit. They should leave their jams off records. I certainly like it now though. I'd give it 7/10.

I think that this album is the same as De-Loused. The first time your hear it your looking for it to be cool all the way through but I think you have to give it a listen 4 or 5 times and eventually you start to tune out all the fiddly pointless bits and see just how brilliant they are.

I love it just as much as De-Loused if not more.

Q gave it 5 stars which is very rare from them from what I remember.

Guest Keira

whaaaaaaaat?! how can so many of you not like it?! its amazing! granted, i do prefer the first, but that generally happens.

anyone else coming to see them on friday?

Guest stuartmaxwell
whaaaaaaaat?! how can so many of you not like it?! its amazing! granted' date=' i do prefer the first, but that generally happens.

anyone else coming to see them on friday?[/quote']

nope

seen em before and its the fudge awards, laeto woop woop

i want a full gig report :p

I think frances the Mute is absolutely amazing. everything about it is better than DLITC (amazing also). the experimentation with strings and brass is utterly mind blowing. john (chilis) is playing some of the best stuff ive heard in a long time.

the only down side to the album is that you cant have it on random as its just too weird.

im going to see them this friday at the barrowlands (ive seen them before and the energy they put into their songs is great!)

At the drive in are very good, mars volta in the making, but the mars are better and the music feels more complete.

At the drive in are very good' date=' mars volta in the making, but the mars are better and the music feels more complete.[/quote']

I think it's wrong to compare the two, At the Drive-in have a very complete sound, espescially by the time they released relationship of command but it's totally different to the mars volta, considering the fact that both bands wanted completely different things from what they were doing. :bat: