aberdeen-music

25th Kef weeping jesus, Reasons are red...

empty-words

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing is the really talented musos tend to hang around in the jazz bands' date=' not the nu-metal/hardcore/death/"individual" scene.[/quote']

That is not true. If you new jazz and Death metal musically then you would know that they are both very similar, Using the same concepts such as displacment and syncopation. They dont sound the same in any way but are still based around the same ideas. Never judge a musician on what kind of band theyr in. Look at Alex Webster, he is one of the best bassists going around. He has so many techniques that he applies to his music thats he is almost unique.

kids kids please calm down.

For whatever reasons u had a bad gig but dont get in such a strop when your told it.

Also your linking of metal and jazz is very vauge its like saying that hard house and punk are the same cause they both use 4/4 time signatures.

Ye its hard to explain what im trying to say.

Time sigs are in all music other than songs in free time, so in that respect all music is the same. The concepts used in Jazz and Metal have a unique similarity that isnt in most other genres of music. You wouldnt normaly use displacment in soft rock or pop music, whereas in jazz and metal you tend to get alot of it. jazz is completly free with no limitations, its always played on the off beat and metal is similar to that. Im not saying they sound the same it the composition and the concepts that are the same. so to say that one musicion is better than the other because of the genre of music they play is untrue.

Ye its hard to explain what im trying to say.

Time sigs are in all music other than songs in free time' date=' so in that respect all music is the same. The concepts used in Jazz and Metal have a unique similarity that isnt in most other genres of music. You wouldnt normaly use displacment in soft rock or pop music, whereas in jazz and metal you tend to get alot of it. jazz is completly free with no limitations, its always played on the off beat and metal is similar to that. Im not saying they sound the same it the composition and the concepts that are the same. so to say that one musicion is better than the other because of the genre of music they play is untrue.[/quote']

word i couldnt agree more.

nice explaination.

Guest Zeenat Aman
jazz is completly free with no limitations' date=' its always played on the off beat[/quote']

Jazz has one limitation then, going by what you say, it is always played on the off beat.

Just to be even more picky(in keeping with the bad vibes of this thread;)), by labelling something as jazz, you are imposing limitations on it before you even start no?

That is not true. If you new jazz and Death metal musically then you would know that they are both very similar' date=' Using the same concepts such as displacment and syncopation.[/quote']

:D :D :D

Err...ok, I'm not taking this point any further... :D

Look at Alex Webster' date=' he is one of the best bassists going around. He has so many techniques that he applies to his music thats he is almost unique.[/quote']

I didn't say that there were strictly no talented musicians in that genre (although you'd think it sometimes), just that its not a renound scene for musical talent like jazz, prog and classical amongst others are.

:D :D :D

Err...ok' date=' I'm not taking this point any further... :D

I didn't say that there were strictly no talented musicians in that genre (although you'd think it sometimes), just that its not a renound scene for musical talent like jazz, prog and classical amongst others are.[/quote']

umm have you actulay listened to some death metal? (not being a dick im seriously asking)

alex webster (from cc if im right) is a pretty amazing musician as is alot of the daddy bands of death metal

and are definatly not untalented, the music may be offputting but some of the things bands in that genre pull off is quite amazing

but just like jazz it has its shite (although some may like his works, the likes of jamie cullum is absolute ball socks)

Yes I have. Both the early bands from the nineties and some of the huge quantity of modern material marketed at angsty kids as well (haha slipknot, their last album was actually surprisingly good), and I reiterate - I did not say that there were strictly no talented musicians in death metal. Really, I'm seeing a LOT of shite and not a lot of well composed pieces at all. Much like the pop market really, just with a lot of shouting and not a lot of singing (give the pop singers their due, a lot of them can actually sing!)

You know...just because musics heavy doesn't mean you cant have lyrics or the lyrics have to sound unintelligable or someone spewing into the mic. With every single quality band I've ever heard regardless of genre the lyrics have been intelligable. Bands with singers that go "OOoORRGHHG OOUURGHGHPHH OOOOOHRRRRHGGGGFG!!!!" are ruining potentially good music. Why cant they just write a real song like everyone else? Maybe because they cant? Why does that 'music' sell anyways?

It has to be said, I like to be able to hear a band's lyrics, because otherwise they could be spouting any kind of shite I don't agree with.

But oh no, if you don't use syncopation and don't bark your way through a song then you're a sellout.

I feel i have to make a few points on this thread. As a friend of one of the members of the band (Weeping Jesus) (c'mon guys have a whinge about it). You guys have to remember that WJ is a relatively new band (only months rather than years old) and i'm sure some of you have been on the go for way longer and not recieved as much recognition as they have.

To say what music is good and what is not in relation to genre is stupid any band can play any genre of music and good bands tend to not restrict themselves to one type of music but encorporate many genres into their repertoire.

Thirdly CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICSM (for all you people who just like to slag each other off ) is when you say you did that well but next time you could maybe do XYZ differently.

In response to who ever said that there are only certain types of time signature used in certain music types from my experience the tune is written and if the composer/ writer has any sense thay choose a time sig which best fits the tune.

In closing the gig at Kef was not their best but was far better than a lot of the so called metal bands that Aberdeen produces.

Yes I have. Both the early bands from the nineties and some of the huge quantity of modern material marketed at angsty kids as well (haha slipknot' date=' their last album was actually surprisingly good), and I reiterate - I did not say that there were strictly no talented musicians in death metal. Really, I'm seeing a LOT of shite and not a lot of well composed pieces at all. Much like the pop market really, just with a lot of shouting and not a lot of singing (give the pop singers their due, a lot of them can actually sing!)[/quote']

There are loads and loads of really talented musicians in death metal. Just because a band have growling vocals dosnt make the music any worse. Look at Opeth, There are loads of growls but Mike can realy sing beutafuly as well. I can understand why someone wouldnt like growling, i didnt when i was younger, but thats what death metal is... it wouldnt realy be Death metal withought the growls.

Guest Zeenat Aman

In response to who ever said that there are only certain types of time signature used in certain music types from my experience the tune is written and if the composer/ writer has any sense thay choose a time sig which best fits the tune.

I think that was empty words? Who's in the band you seem to be trying to defend. :p

I

Sorry but this is wrong. You dont chose a time signature, in a way it choses you. I have never came accross a composer who will choose a time sig then write a riff around it. When you compose a riff it will automaticly fit into a time sig. You dont CHOOSE what the time sig is, it just is. You cant have a 4 crotchets in a 4 crotchet beat bar and say it is in 6/8, music dosnt work that way. Im not being a dick or anythig but thats just music.

you see, this is why i try to keep my band shit off these boards. turns into a handbag fight.

I reckon Murray and Empty-Words should stand duel to the death.

I have the setting.

this is the Burj Al Arab in Dubai. the only 7 star hotel in the world.

23sld48cm.jpg

that green thing is the Helipad. itsa ot always green. zoom in and find out why.

23sld56gq.jpg

23sld24km.jpg

its professionaly tennnis players Andre and Federer playing a game for a promotional stunt.

anyway, this is the perfect setting, cos well, look.

23sld32mv.jpg

theres little safety net things so people dont fall off. I say, remove those, throw in a load of poisonous snakes and possibly a couple of Dodgeballs as weaponry and Murray and Empty-Words can duel it out to the death. its a big fucking fall. Let the best bastard win.

Weeping Jesus? This thread's enough to bring any sissy-haired deity to tears. (With boredom of course!)

To all the people signing up to aberdeen-music as single post paratroopers, parachuting in to the aid of Weeping Jesus like a particularly ill conceived cavalry charge - take my advice, just charge off. You lot suck dick like a group of salt deficient hookers on heroine.

Not only that, you all seem the have the observational skills of Mr Magoo combined with the comprehensional skills of David Beckham since you all argued against a point that I never made; that Weeping Jesus were shite. I never said they were shite so stop trying to tell me I did.

And lastly:-

You guys have to remember that WJ is a relatively new band (only months rather than years old) and i'm sure some of you have been on the go for way longer and not recieved as much recognition as they have.

What recognition? Who has recognised them other than their own mothers?