aberdeen-music

Cymbal Query!!

Guest highroller

Guest highroller

Ok!

Im very very lucky to own sabian AAX stage cymbals all round (the top of the range if you dont want hand hammered.)

Anyway, these cymbals are monster loud and can take a beating.

What I have been thinking lately is that im finding that the 16" is getting lost in Quiks sound. I mean we are (for a "punk" band) pretty heavy and the 18" is magic and cuts through Craigs wall of guitar sound no worries but i find im having to really smack the shit out of my 16" to make it cut through!

Should i get a 17" and have that with my 18" or get a 17" and a 19" so there is a bigger difference in the crash sound??

Something weird I found out! The drummer out of Puddle Of Mudd (who I think is an awesome drummer and the hardest hitter ive ever seen) uses two crashes like me and most other rock drummers but both are actually 19"....? No difference in crash cymbal pitch?? Weird huh??

• 4 weeks later...
Guest highroller

So out of all the bands in Aberdeen...not more than one guy who plays drums will even put accross their view!! Not enough drummers are tech heads nowadays!! Gaylords!!

Originally posted by Dan Atom:

Ben, this is the MUSICIANS forums. You ain't gonna get drummer's coming on here. :D

Thing is, drummers find typing very tricky. They get so far, then a certain word will give them a really cool rhythm and they get stsststtstsststtstsststtuckkstsststtstsststtstsstu

Damn.

Btw, two cymbals the same diameter can sound very different, due to other factors such as thickness etc. e.g. A 'light crash', a 'rock crash' and a crash-ride can be the same size and have a very different pitch.

A crash-ride could be what you're looking for actually...

Doesn't have to be an AAX either, or even Sabian, although they are about the most well-made you can get. Just go see Mike and try out as many as you can.

Guest Scorge Spike

I happened upon this thread late, my two cents (for their mere worth) follow....

Originally posted by Ben Quik:

I think im gonna buy 17 and 18" Paiste rude Crash rides!! They destroy!!

Don't do it - the Paiste rude is the most incredibly wanky cymbal I ever get the mispleasure of playing. Go for Paiste's 302 17" crash and 18" crash/ride if you want to go down that road (I own one of the latter and it's vicious enough for my tastes).

Better still, go German with Meinl - their 16" Byzance and 18" Lightning crashes are fucking bliss, though the postage cost of getting them imported may deter you. I'd also heartily recommend a Bosphorus 17" gold crash, it's a good one.

Zildjians and Sabians are about as desireable as being a male hooker with piles, though at least they do the job. :D

Never liked Paiste, they just never seemed very good quality. Must say I've never really tried Meinl, I imagine them to have a very distinctive sound though, do they?

I'd take Sabians over Zildjians though, although Zildjians used to be the best around. Story goes that when old Pa Zildjian retired he left everything to his two sons. One of them got the name, and the other got the factory. So Zildjians are not as good as they were as they're made differently, but Sabians have all the old quality with a new name. That could be bollocks of course, but I think it's something like that.

I remember seeing a Sabian 'Rocktagon' ages ago, a really heavy cymbal, octagon shaped. Anyone ever tried one?

Guest highroller

In my opinion Sabians are the ones that can take the biggest beating...iv re thought this and decided that rudes are NOISE but not as classy sounding as aax's so im gonna go and replace the 16" with a 17" and see if thats ok with the 18"

Cheers dudes!!

Originally posted by Tav:

a Zildjian user/fan

aye, Zlidjian good sheet, my kit mainly premier poo but got some zlidj symbols. Ya might try out a splash symbol (the little itty bitty ones). I

f you need to be louder when your at maximum volume then you must be quieter before you want to be really loud, no volume 11...or get some mics on your symbols and make bigger sound like that.

Originally posted by Frosty Jack:

I'd take Sabians over Zildjians though, although Zildjians used to be the best around. but Sabians have all the old quality with a new name.

Zlidj is yout performance shit. None too durable compared to sabians but better sound quality. Sabians are also the best for a practice kit, long lasting at a high standard where ya can try rizzets and what not qithout being worried that your are destroying a beutifully made piece of kit (Zlidj).