aberdeen-music

The Needles

HummerOfIntenseEvil

Saw them tonight (well, last night now) at the Lemon Tree.

Can someone explain what's supposed to be good about them? I really couldn't see anything to set them apart from any other band in Aberdeen, except perhaps that they at least weren't trying to be Kurt Cobain (ala "Junk Dust"... *shudder*).

Seriously, why are they supposed to be "local boys made good" or whatever?

Seriously' date=' why are they supposed to be "local boys made good" or whatever?[/quote']

dunno about local boys made good. They always seem to be on the brink of doing something but haven't quite made that leap yet (although they've still done a lot more nationally and internationally than the vast majority of other bands).

But as a band they're just fucking ace and that's why they get all the praise.

Needles

I thought the Needles were fucking ace last night.

They put on a good show, are really tight and Dave is a damn good frontman.

Its just a shame that there wasnt more people there.I told as many folk as I could but I struggled to get a crowd for my set because Ive been pushing so hard for last weeks Lemon Tree gig.

You can tell the Needles really believe in what theyre doing, I mean , despite the place not being rammed Dave was still flying round which is pretty professional.

Seen a lot of bands who would get disheartened and not give it their all, something I dont think anyone can accuse the Needles of.

the needles are responsible for me being in a band.

the needles are awesome. the needles are the greatest rock n roll show this city has ever seen, goddamn yea!! if we could put on half the show the needles put on i'd be a happy man. and they write better pop songs than us too. pop genius i tell you.

i didn't even know they were playing last night. shitbags. :(

Saw them tonight (well' date=' last night now) at the Lemon Tree.

Can someone explain what's supposed to be good about them? I really couldn't see anything to set them apart from any other band in Aberdeen, except perhaps that they at least weren't trying to be Kurt Cobain (ala "Junk Dust"... *shudder*).

Seriously, why are they supposed to be "local boys made good" or whatever?[/quote']

But dude, you don't seem to actually like *anything* unrelated to Patton or the Manics!

The Needles are beyond brilliant.

The Needles are playing my student's union (warwick) in the next two weeks....

I can't go, which is SHIT but I have told everyone else if they don't make the effort I will kill them. I love our union recently. Ents manager is ace, and overall it is run by this guy who used to run the Hacienda. madness.

x

But dude' date=' you don't seem to actually like *anything* unrelated to Patton or the Manics!

The Needles are beyond brilliant.[/quote']

:D haha!! I'm not quite THAT bad... I saw Dedalus, AKA The Fox and The Little Kicks on friday and enjoyed all three bands. And have you HEARD how bad most Manics influenced bands are? :p

I'm nae trying to get into a "the Needles are shite" "no they're not" slanging match... it's just that I couldn't hear anything worthy of the hype last night. But if everyone else likes them, then that's fair enough.

they were really good, last night was the first time I'd seen them and I was so impressed. Shame it was so quiet, couldn't have been more than 100 folk there and about 15 of those were Lemon Tree staff off duty. I didn't have any cash on me or I would have bought a CD, went searching for one in One up but couldn't see any. Where else could I find one?

Guest Zeenat Aman
Oh' date=' get over yourself! If bands aren't trying to emulate The Needles in terms of professionalism, musicality and exposure, they obviously aren't taking their career seriously.[/quote']

Take it easy...

Being professional and musical etc does not mean one is trying to emulate The Needles.

Whats with all this defensive stuff about them anyway, so what if some people dont like them!?

Oh' date=' get over yourself! If bands aren't trying to emulate The Needles in terms of professionalism, musicality and exposure, they obviously aren't taking their career seriously.[/quote']

Well none of my bands emulate the Needles, I think Dave's a top bloke, a great frontman but the Needles music to me is kinda dull and uninspired, we tend to do things a bit differently than the Needles and it works for us. You can take yourself seriously in terms of all of the above without emulating the Needles. There is a lot of support for the Needles, and well done to them for getting that and they've achieved more than most bands, but have also been going for a lot longer than most bands in order to achieve that. The Needles have always been on the verge of making it for so many years, but haven't it does make you wonder if they will now, still as long as they're having fun doing what they do, fair play to them.

Cheers

Stuart

Ive never seen the appeal myself....I think musically they tread a very well worn path and their live performance is too contrived looking. I cant deny that they have generated a lot of interest by working very hard and sticking to their guns but their lack of major success is down to a lack of that 'something special'......IN MY OPINION!