aberdeen-music

Do many local bands release singles?

Hog

Guest Zeenat Aman
I've had singles out' date=' but it was years ago. I think some CD singles are still produced by local bands, but vinyl must be pretty rare nowadays.[/quote']

How I wish I'd taken you're vinyl LP as gig payment!!!

Nope, there were a 1000 whopping copies of that done, we did a wee 4 track thing for the launch of our old webite, I think it had an alternative/distorted mix of 'Get Tattooed', our cover of the Clash's 'Clampdown' and two unreleased songs (one of which we never played live), 'Coincidence Design' and 'Needs Must When The Devil Drives'. No one in Aberdeen bought it ;)

It depends what you call a single. PERSONALLY, I call a single a song off an album or off an EP that intends to make the charts and has 'b-sides' and/or extra tracks that aren't available elsewhere. A band that puts it's three best songs on a CD isn't a single as far as I'm concerned, it's an EP.

Saying that, WBL released a 'video single' which had the EP version of 124 worlds on it plus 3 live tracks and then the video. The plan was to have CD-extra style copies, DVD coies and VHS copies but my computer fucked up after about 50 copies of the CD-extra version and for some reason wouldn't make working copies any more, not from the original source files or from working copies that had already been made. So if anyone has one of them, count yourself lucky...

Real Shocks put two proper singles out (you know the nationally distributed type you can buy in real shops in London and on Amazon and stuff?)

First was ''Curlywurly'' CD single on Lithium records - it was a Mark n Lard daytime radio fave for a couple of weeks and sells for daft money 2nd hand in the US now its out of stock

Second was ''Affection?'' which was a vinyl only single plus accompanying lofi video and that earned quite a bit of cash from radio and MTV royalties - people are still phoning us up about now cos they like it - the freaks

The third Real Shocks single ''Openness is Dangerousness'' never officially came out despite it basically propelling the band to last years SXSW festival in the U.S. We split up and reformed as another band before it was released to avoid the current nu-new wave explosion that we had actually started ourselves in 2002. Staying ahead of the rest matters more than success. Promo copies of said missing single are kicking about in America somewhere.

The Videos will be releasing a proper album and some proper singles later in 2005. The stuffs being mixed at the mo and shites on anything RS did imo.

Spunkburger large fries please

deadenstereo did a split single with Stigma (our track was 'A Perfect Second) which had a run of about 250 on Spermatozoa Records, and to my knowledge they all sold. except the one that I kept, and polish every night :p

I reckon it quite a good thing to do, especially if you're selling them at gigs. 2 or whatever isn't a big ask if someone has seen and liked you.

J

We split up and reformed as another band before it was released to avoid the current nu-new wave explosion that we had actually started ourselves in 2002.

Which bands weren't quick/smart enough to avoid the success of the nu-new wave explosion?

Nope' date=' there were a 1000 whopping copies of that done, we did a wee 4 track thing for the launch of our old webite, I think it had an alternative/distorted mix of 'Get Tattooed', our cover of the Clash's 'Clampdown' and two unreleased songs (one of which we never played live), 'Coincidence Design' and 'Needs Must When The Devil Drives'. No one in Aberdeen bought it ;)[/quote']

I remember that one....

It was called something 'Whiskey' wasn't it...?

xXscottXx

Which bands weren't quick/smart enough to avoid the success of the nu-new wave explosion?

dont know cos Im bored of it already and thus havent really followed it .....maybe Dogs Die in Hot Cars would be an example of a band limply regurgitating 80s new wave and vying for major label exploitation and life long debt

i could be wrong of course

but

everyones measure of success is v different

Guest stuartmaxwell

We split up and reformed as another band before it was released to avoid the current nu-new wave explosion that we had actually started ourselves in 2002. Staying ahead of the rest matters more than success.

are you being serious?i hope not

I think scarily enough he is' date=' didn't you know all the millionaire musicians like Franz Ferdinand were all heavily influenced by the Real Shocks,

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Not sure what your angle is

see I dont see the point of doing music that could be mistaken as being part of any current bandwagon of ANY DESCRIPTION

we played a lot of Franz style (lets say retro 80s nu wave then) indie/disco crossover material a couple of years ago and then realised that everyone in Scotland suddenly wanted to do the same once FF got famous for it. Hence bandwagon. Not saying we were in the same league as them quality wise at all, but to me a quick body swerve was needed to keep our sense of differentness to mass consumtion music intact. I like music to be different especially if its something Im involved in.......is this a crime against the record industry or something????

doing your own thang is def more important than chasing down some kind of elusive rock star dream cos thats fucking stupid and doomed to fail

so Im still nae sure w.t.f. your point is

ironically enuff Franz do have RS CDs cos we exchanged em in chats in the pub at SXSW last year (before they were ''millionaires'' obviously)....... it was all samey nu wave at that festival and the only thing that exited us was the Japanese punk bands :love: .....