aberdeen-music

The Official Pete Doherty Thread

jonty84

This whole Pete Doherty thing is extremely crazy. I don't think people realise, but right now he's becoming easily the most iconic modern rock star in Britain, whether you like it or not. Personally, I'm not too sure what to think of him, somedays I think he's a useless junkie cock who's too selfish to realise what he's doing to himself and his fans, and somedays, particularly when I hear Libertines' latest stuff, I realise why there is fuss made about him. The sort of music he makes with Libertines and Babyshambles is, admittedly, heavily influenced by The Clash, The Jam and The Specials, to name the most obvious influences, but it must be said that there isn't a single other act as compelling right now as the Libertines.

I think it can only go one of two ways; either Doherty cleans up, rejoines Barat in the Libertines, and they can sell out any arena in the UK. Think about it, with all this publicity, and the whole 'will-they won't they' nature of the Libs, plus the fact that they have been quite successful commerically with 'Up The Bracket' and 'The Libertines', they would be a fairly big draw for the summer festivals and I reckon could easily do an arena tour. Although with punk rock principles they probably wouldn't want to, which is fair enough. The other option is that Doherty does what about 90% of the UK are waiting for him to do; die - sickeningly and a reflection on our country's morals, William Hill allegedly offered odds of 4-1 on him not seeing Christmas. And if he does, he'll become a massive icon, because he's young, he's talented, and he threw it all away - look at the two other stand-out wasters in rock history - Vicious and Cobain, both died relatively young and neither was particularly musically talented. As Hendrix said, "Once you're dead, you're made for life." If he does die, he'll become massively iconic as an anti-hero. Unfortunately it's difficult to work out if this is justified after the NME hyped him up to Christ-like status (as they tend to do with any young rock stars) and the tabloid papers, particularly The Sun kiss his ass, pay him for interviews and then refer to him as a 'junkie rock star'.

So the question I've been leading up to is this - what do you think will happen to Doherty? Will he return to the music scene, cleaned-up and moved on, reform The Libertines and become one of the few rock stars who comes back from the brink, or will he descend even further into drug-fuelled loserdom and pass away before becoming the ultimate anti-hero? Whether you like him or not, he's got us all talking....

Mike

it must be said that there isn't a single other act as compelling right now as the Libertines.

Hahaha.....this is a joke right?

The word compelling means 'arousing strong interest and respect' (as defined by oxford dictionary)......arousing strong interest....yes....but for the opposite reason than for respect....having an junkie for your (former) front man is hardly going to command any respect...

And i can think of a lot of bands who are just as 'compelling' right now....that dont have herion ties to there band....

(and this is not an anti-libertines answer....i dont care if you like them or not thats your choice....just mearly stating that they arent quite as 'compelling' as made out'

All this media attention that he has been getting is certainly not helping him. (obviously). The best thing for pete would be to stop playing gigs with babyshambles because it will add more pressure for him to take drugs around the surroundings of concerts and the people that hang about babyshambles band and tour bus. when he does this then carl will relise that pete is trying to get things sorted out and then they may have a reunion. but even then im sure he will be just as tempted to take drugs when in the libertines. unless this happens i think he will end up dead.

Guest Mr Blastcap

junkie panda eye boy sings crappy trad brit rock muck scandal

i like the whole tabloid thing he has going on, and the drug use too, thats great stuff. its just the music i dont like. mind you give it year, does anyone really remember menswear ?

he strikes me as abit of a middle class twat anyway.

The reason he's in the papers so much just now is nothing to do with his 'talent'. It's to do with the fact that he'll say anything to a journalist if he's offered enough money. He's done at least 4 'My Drug Hell' stories so far *kerching*, several 'Me and Kate Moss' stories *kerching*, and knows that all he has to do to raise enough for his next few fixes is play some sort of gig, have a fight or get arrested or something and...*kerching*...

All these stories are coming from him, and the press know it, but don't care.

Kate Moss has never even publicly admitted to ever having met him...

respect....having an junkie for your (former) front man is hardly going to command any respect...

You would certainly think so, but for a man that made joint #1 in NME's 2005 'Cool List' (I must point out obviously I don't agree with this), and the fact that Libertines/Babyshambles fans literally worship the guy, despite his smack problem he gets a hell of a lot of respect and admiration. Even on that Channel 4 NME Awards week where Edith Bowman and various alterative critics (Alan McGee, arsehole from Big Brother, Queens of Noize tart) discussed the Libertines, they all kissed his ass and went on about what an icon he is and what an important band the Libs are/were.

All this media attention that he has been getting is certainly not helping him. (obviously).

???

It's obviously helping him get more money for drugs (*kerching*) and let's face it, there's nothing a working class lad likes more than seeing a middle class arse fuck up his semi-priveleged background.

The guy is a pathetic useless junkie. I fuckin HATE junkies and dont have a single ounze of respect for them. Personaily i think the Libs are shit so his music is just musical bolocks to me. Getting publicity for being a fucked up junkie is NOT cool. He deservse nothing more than to drown in his own vomit. Sorry if this offends anyone but that is jusy my opinion on him.

I think the fact that the Libertines and Babyshambles get hyped hyped so much is a fucking sham. Pete Doherty could have the world (or at least the UK) in his hands but instead he decides to take crack in whatever shithole he's living in. Fuck that. There's a ton of bands in the UK that deserve the attention more than he does. And they're not fucking drug addicts that will waste the opportunity. l mean really, his music isn't even that good! It just seems that his entire career thus far is based on his drug abuse.

And if that's all your band has going for it, I say quit.

...drowning in his own vomit...how nice. :(

How some of you can call Peter a usesless junkie is beyond me, now I could go into why I think he isn't but thats just my opinion and basically it means shit.

Look, whether you like the guy or not what he does in his spare time is his business. Yes, I agree - there is nothing nice or heroic about being a druggie and having him splattered across the papers off his head is disgusting.

But at the end of the day his fans know he takes drugs and most liked him waaay before the hype and the shitty biased tabloids took an interest; most would like nothing more than to see him clean and back to the way he was when they first noticed him - because he is one of the most talented musicians we've heard in a long time.