aberdeen-music

Help how can i get a good sound out of my Fender Ultimate Chorus amp

Guest Hardcore-4-Life

Guest Hardcore-4-Life

I cant get a good sound out of my amp when i play my Metalzone Boss pedal through it.Im looking for that sorta Hatebreed,Converge,Everytime I Die sound.Any idea for good setting on pedal and amp?.....Please help,im so stuck.

Taylor

the fact its a fender means it aint really designed for playing metal, fenders are more designed for lovely clean sounds and a little bit of drive.

the only real advice is to try and sit down and play with the controls, on both the pedal and amp and keep playing and tweaking until you find something that sounds nice to you, the parametric mid control on the metalzone can make a big difference...

David

Destroy it. Then you might feel metal enough to go out and buy a real amp, like a Peavey 5150 or XXX.

Do be honest, if you've experimented enough with it and still don't like the sound, get a new amp.

Out of interest, what guitar do you play through it? If it's a fender telecaster or rickenbacker or something, it's a lost cause.

Craig

On Craigs point, what kind of guitar is it you use? Rikenbackers are quite popular in that scene though...Converge use them...

I don't see why the amp should limit his sound if he's playing through a clean channle...fenders are guff for high gain distortion on their own but surely using a metal zone into the clean channle would return favourable results? All the amp would be doing is making it loud rather than producing the acctual distortion?

If it has an effect loop could you put it into the return side and eliminate the amplifiers pre-amp so then the amp would just be amplifying the signal from the pedal...sort of like the pedal becoming the pain tone controls? I am sure I've done this with a DS-1 into my Marshall and it sounded all right.

And for that kind of music you'd be wanting scooped mids but with a bit of crunch, so put some mid in bt not too much?

Experiment!

Or

Buy another amp, I wouldn't say sell the fender as it may prove useful in the future and you'll kick yourself for getting rid. For value the Laney TF320 like Rennie's is decent for that style of music, plenty output and power, reliable and if you wanna make it bigger you can buy an extension cab. It's also go two drive channles so with a distortion pedal you can have 3 choices of drive...or more if you combine...

Guest Kryys With No 'X'
Originally posted by Tav:

I don't see why the amp should limit his sound if he's playing through a clean channle...fenders are guff for high gain distortion on their own but surely using a metal zone into the clean channle would return favourable results? All the amp would be doing is making it loud rather than producing the acctual distortion?

Yes, but the speaker is also a main factor in the sound an amp produces, not something to be forgotten about. In my experience, the speakers in Fender amps are very sensitive and prone to breaking up very easily; they're also mid heavy.

In my opinion, the sound in which Taylor is looking for isn't really attainable through his set-up...sorry mate, you're just going to have to accept a compromise!

You need a high-gain amp: Sell the Fender and begin looking into the world of Mesa Boogie, Soldano etc...

Guest operator zero

but surely then just changing the speaker could be beneficial?

and maybe looking into the world of modding the amp circuitry - after all that's how mesa boogies were created - the creator hot rodded a fender princeton amp to see what he levels of gain he could get out of it...and created the beasts of rock known as the mesa/boogies!

Mark

(or he could just buy a metal amp like you suggested ;) )