aberdeen-music

godspeed you black emperor

Mr.Mike

Guest Ancient Mariner
That sounds like an apt description for the excellent M83.

I have been listening to the song "Teen Angst" by them, and it excellent. I would describe it as epic, ethereal electronica. And Dave, if you're reading, it couldn't be more perfect for Saturday nite.

name dropper...oh...hold on...you didn't mention the name...

he he.

what LP ?

the skinny wrists drawing is ace.

To be honest I'm not sure which LP, but his name is Will Schaff....he's got a website which is well worth a visit. The LP of mine he did artwork for was the US issue of "Parallel Dog days", on the Secret Eye label. We got matey when he toured with the Iditarod, doing percussion, and they stayed at mine. I've just started a project where I'm doing an ep based on his artwork, and will give him all the copies (ltd edition of 50), in return for an original drawing.

We should also meet up again when I play in Rhode Island in July.

I've just checked, and it was the inside drawings for 'Lift yr skinny fists'. He's also done artwork for Songs Ohia, and Okkervill River (sp?).

incidently, another gsybe offshoot band you folks should check out is "set fire to flames". I believe its sophie (the violinist) and efrim from godspeed plus other members of silver mt zion etc. Their album "auto signs rebuilder" is pretty good but their last album "telegraphs in negative/mouths trapped in static" is a masterpiece and the cover is the source of my avatar. They are a lot more abstract and avante garde sounding than either of their main groups, a bit like can's "aumgn" during tracks like "in prelight isolate" and they tend to record in odd places and under the influence of various substances with or without sleep. So, nothing new there then, but i really love it, so you should check 'em out.

Check out 'In a Safe Place' by The Album Leaf. Beautiful post-rock featuring members of The Black Heart Procession, Sigur Ros and Mum. Spent much of the weekend acquiring and searching on Ebay for more equipment for my new post-rock project. In the next few days I should have a new Cello Bow, an Alexis Quadraverb GT (quite old but the delay and reverb sounds are pure bliss), an Ebow and a melodica. I'm still on the lookout for an electric organ, however this is proving to be somewhat difficult due to limited funds. Been writing solid with Cameron who was previously with Stirling-based outfit, The Site of Future Rome. Not sure if anyone up here will have heard of them though.

Looking forward to that post-rock compiliation you said you'd make up for me Stuart ;)

Ciao

speaking of sigur ros' date=' there's a great bit in 'the life aquatic' where they play staalfur (i think.. its been a while). it induced cold whooshes from my nose that spread across my face, it was that good. like being underwater, literally.

(they also use search and destroy during a bout of fisticuffs. super.)[/quote']

i just came back from seeing that film!! it was magical. i loved the bit "let me show you my boat" and it lights up. the fish were amazing and it's a good yarn too.

the bit with sigur ros was perfect. perfect i tell ya.

• 2 weeks later...