aberdeen-music

Million Dollar Baby

Lemonade

It was ACE! Fucking heathens' date=' if it hasn't got Ewoks or Orcs in it, you think its shit.

Good, solid stoytelling. Not as good as Mystic River, but not far off.[/quote']

I actually liked it better than Mystic River - but each to their own. I went in expecting a boxing movie with Clint as surrogate father figure (which I got) but also the unexpected extra emotional impact (nearly typed punch instead and then realised what I was doing :-D) of the last part which caught me completely off guard.

A film for grown ups maybe?

...Mind you, in saying that I also went to see Team America twice and laughed my ass off both times.

"Harro Hans Brix"

I can't believe people could compare this to mystic river... It's like a feminised Rocky, but shit. The acting, to be fair was spot on, even Clint Eastwood hasn't lost his schpadoinkle but the actual story was guff. As i've said already, the 'shocking twist' and the last 40 minutes of the film were unbearable. Going from beginner boxer to championship material in the space of 5 minutes isn't good storytelling.

The twist itself comes out of absolutely nowhere, what's the point in going from a solid story to a tragedy in the blink of an eye... i just don't get it. None of the characters (minus the main ones) felt like proper characters, just stereotypes like the fat mum, gangsta' bitch and stupid kid with the heart. What about the letters he writes his daughter? why doesn't she answer?

I just don't think it has a patch on Mystic River.

I can't believe people could compare this to mystic river... It's like a feminised Rocky' date=' but shit. The acting, to be fair was spot on, even Clint Eastwood hasn't lost his schpadoinkle but the actual story was guff. As i've said already, the 'shocking twist' and the last 40 minutes of the film were unbearable. Going from beginner boxer to championship material in the space of 5 minutes isn't good storytelling.

The twist itself comes out of absolutely nowhere, what's the point in going from a solid story to a tragedy in the blink of an eye... i just don't get it. None of the characters (minus the main ones) felt like proper characters, just stereotypes like the fat mum, gangsta' bitch and stupid kid with the heart. What about the letters he writes his daughter? why doesn't she answer?

I just don't think it has a patch on Mystic River.[/quote']

I cannot disagree with any of the above comments.

Go and hire Mystic River and ignore this unless you have some strange facination with female boxers

Oscars 2005

Best Movie - Million Dollar Baby

Best Director - Clint Eastwood' date=' Million Dollar Baby

Best Actress - Hillary Swank, Million Dollar Baby,

Best Supporting Actor - Morgan Freeman, Million Dollar Baby

Consider my case rested! :cheers:[/quote']

The Aviator should have gotten Best Movie and Best Director. But because i thought the acting was spot on in Million Dollar Baby the other two can slide. Although i was so hoping Kate Winslet would win Best Actress.

Hmmm. I liked it. But then again I just watch a film and make judgement then. I don't think too deeply about it. Its only taken a few hours out of my day. Could think of better things to do with those hours if the film is no good, hmm, and if the films good.

The 'twist' as some put it was just as you said, to bring the main character right down to a cripple.

Moral = Do what you have to in the world now as you never know when it's going to end!