aberdeen-music

Favourite books about bands/music

incredibledisc

I love music biogs although often I finds Mojo is hard to beat for the amount of detail and the range of articles in any given issue. Anything Helter Skelter publsih tends to be good though. Ones I've especially enjoyed are A Saucerful of Secrets, Spencer Bright's book on Peter Gabriel, Hammer of the Gods, a scandalous book about Zeppelin, and the classic I'm With The Band by groupie Pamela des Barres.

Best fiction book about music for me is Espedair Street by Iain Banks.

Most disappointing book about music: any of the Marillion biographies: Mick Wall's writing style is infuriating, and the more recent one was far too wet and biased as well as lacking in detail or insight.

A Hard Day's Write is an odd one: whenever I read a Beatles book I can'tr help but fdeel the writeris going over the top: I don't deny they are geniuses but I never saw them as the greatest lyricists in the universe.

first time i read it i was worried that it was just gonna be another one of those "oh gee wow look how many drugs we took and how much sex we had" kinda books, like how soooo many rock biography's can basically boil down to (its cute the first time you read a book like that but really theres only so many times you can read something like "and then we got really fucked up and collapsed during our gig and then slept with 50 hookers" before it stops being "shocking" and entertaining and becomes a bit...dare i say...boring?...ok maybe repetative not boring...but not good, see my point?)

anyway...uh yeh...im with the band is my favourite 'rock n roll' book and Pamela des Barres is a star :)

enjoy

Isn't it! I was really surprised at how good it was!

I can't think what it's called but there was quite a legendary novel written in the late 60s about a debauched rock band supposedly based on Family' date=' who the author lived with for a bit, always wanted to read that![/quote']

That's 'Groupie' by Jenny Fabian....funnily enough I just picked up an old copy of that recently, but haven't read it yet.

That's the one! Let me know if it's any good! Read alot about it but never actually read it' date=' and am a big Family fan too.

I think Fish's semi-fictional-autobiography which he's writing at present could well end up being a fabulous read considering some of the stuff he got up to in the 80s![/quote']

I'll believe it when i see it coming out ;) tho i agree about the Marillion ones, tho i have a soft spot for Jon Collins one as i'm the the thank you's ;) it's a very bias account missing out the most productive era of the band, the 80's.

Classics - the very underated Diary of a rock and roll star by Ian Hunter

Is that it - Bob Geldof

the boy george autobiography rocks too

Cheers

Stuart

catherine has this book for uni...its like the in's and out's of the whole music industry...can't go wrong with this bad boy....must find out the name?

which one? either Inside music 2005 or Music, the business.

the first one is a bit biased though, but the second one has all the legal jazz from band names, to manager contracts and how much people should get paid.