aberdeen-music

tracing IPs

Daniel

...eh no daniel.....that is your e-mail address...your ip is an array of numbers...as some body else has posted will be allocated to you every time you log on the net...said number is issued to you via you isp...internet service provider....it is relatively easy to gain the isp...if some body logs on your website...but it is only valid as long as you are logged on the net...next time u log on....a bunch of said numbers will change....eg aol often begins with 172...

its not my email, i just phoned my dads computer nerd and he said its my computer server domain, its similar

think hard - is your address on any of your internet profiles.. your MSN profile?.... etc etc.

Does he know your friends

There are some pretty simple programs out for logging the browser someone is using and their IP address etc etc... i wouldn't worry about it.

Did he guess you were using Internet explorer...! that ma is a genius!

...an simple firewall could prevent that sort of thing... how he got it?...he may have sent a trojan as part of an e-mail attachement to you...in say a zip file...exe file...com file...

exactly what i thought, but he hasen't sent me anything, maby hes taking me for a ride but im sure hes been inside my computer

think hard - is your address on any of your internet profiles.. your MSN profile?.... etc etc.

Does he know your friends

There are some pretty simple programs out for logging the browser someone is using and their IP address etc etc... i wouldn't worry about it.

Did he guess you were using Internet explorer...! that ma is a genius!

no he told me im using mozzila and that i got it in november.........correct

he also said i should update to the newer versoin.....cheeky bastard

in reply to someone:

what he means is (i think what he maens is) that its far easier to just deceive someone into believing they have information about them. after all, percieved power is achieved power.

general:

if he's email you his IP will be in the email header. if 'tisnt (anonymous remailer or what have you) then trick him into accepting a file over MSN, when its sending open a DOS prompt and type "netstat" that will give a list of current connections. assuming hes not using a dynamic IP of course.

a final word:

finally, in respect to the belief that some people here seem to think that programs like ZA, ad-aware and others completely protect your computer. this belief is completely wrong. if someone wants access to your computer there are numerous ways of doing it. A simple firewall could have prevented it assuming that it was an out of the box program that you slap on their and it tried to connect to the net. anyone with any knowledge passed "i'M t3H 1337x0r 101" would not use that approach.

there are programs out there that allow you to gain access to peoples computers using their ip addresses, although the IP address is assigned every time you log onto the internet, for the duration you are on the IP address stays the same. I suspect the guy had said program to access your computer, as it has been said, it's easy to find out an IP address, once you have that it's easy to get into someone's computer if you know what you are doing.

One of the guys in my class managed to gain access to the NASA file servers, and the CCTV system, he also managed to do it at Glasgow Uni.