aberdeen-music

this is a long shot...

Metarie

I'm doing Gender and Writing this term and the course is full of chicks. It's totally fucking awesome. If an alien hit the Earth with a ray that made everybody want to fuck' date=' it would be great but I'd have to impose a no fatties rule.[/quote']

is that one of the women studies courses?

I'm noticing everyone's avatars today, yay Dresden Dolls! Here I thought I was the only one...

is that one of the women studies courses?

I'm noticing everyone's avatars today' date=' yay Dresden Dolls! Here I thought I was the only one...[/quote']

Quite a few folks from Aberdeen at the Edinburgh gig last week. And yes, it's a women studies/English course so you can take it as part of either degree program in 3rd year.

Beeker.

People like you REALLY fuck me off. I do my degree because I am passionate about it. I have managed to study at a university across the other side of the world because of it' date=' have learnt a language fluently, have research, analytical and all other kinds of presentation and communication skills, eg TRANSFERABLE SKILLS. Just because it might involve studying literature, or history, fuckwits like you who are sluts for the job market criticise. I dont want to be stuck on a career path doing a fucking boring vocational degree course so i can get crammed into some graduate scheme which exists purely so the fuckers can pay stupid students way less for jobs they should pay higher wages to already partly trained people for. But apparently a free laptop makes up for that.... I want to do some fucking learning about some interesting things, for ME. I have about a trillion things i could do, as a lot of employers value your experience and transferable skills, even if from a non vocational degree. EG if you are not a law student, you can still get into law (infact companies make sure they have an intake of non law students). You can do journalism, communications, work for NGOS, get into foreign office fast track, become a government advisor, write novels, write articles, THE LIST IS FUCKING ENDLESS

sorry to rant, but if one more ignorant bastard asks in a really fucking patronising way "oh...so what can you do with THAT?!!, scream back "anything i fucking want." You are not limited by your degree, it is a an amazing advantage in more career areas than little computing studies pig shits can imagine....[/quote']

hmm, it appears Lins is frustrated by her inability to chose a profession - so instead she'll be a a drain on the taxpayer for as long as possible while continuing the fassade of "i'm learning for ME" - before finally deciding to tutor the next bunch of wasters. Great contribution luv. Go you *pats on head* now run along and make some coffee.

And while i'm at it... History of what in the what!!.. thumbs up. so useful it hurts.

hmm' date=' it appears Lins is frustrated by her inability to chose a profession - so instead she'll be a a drain on the taxpayer for as long as possible while continuing the fassade of "i'm learning for ME" - before finally deciding to tutor the next bunch of wasters. Great contribution luv. Go you *pats on head* now run along and make some coffee.

And while i'm at it... History of what in the what!!.. thumbs up. so useful it hurts.[/quote']

Yeah, the art of the world is pretty useless anyway. WE SHOULD BURN DOWN ART GALLERYS USING THE HOMELESS FOR FUEL AND MAKE CAR PARKS!!!!!!1!!!!11!!!

Guest Ancient Mariner
Beeker.

People like you REALLY fuck me off. I do my degree because I am passionate about it. I have managed to study at a university across the other side of the world because of it' date=' have learnt a language fluently, have research, analytical and all other kinds of presentation and communication skills, eg TRANSFERABLE SKILLS. Just because it might involve studying literature, or history, fuckwits like you who are sluts for the job market criticise. I dont want to be stuck on a career path doing a fucking boring vocational degree course so i can get crammed into some graduate scheme which exists purely so the fuckers can pay stupid students way less for jobs they should pay higher wages to already partly trained people for. But apparently a free laptop makes up for that.... I want to do some fucking learning about some interesting things, for ME. I have about a trillion things i could do, as a lot of employers value your experience and transferable skills, even if from a non vocational degree. EG if you are not a law student, you can still get into law (infact companies make sure they have an intake of non law students). You can do journalism, communications, work for NGOS, get into foreign office fast track, become a government advisor, write novels, write articles, THE LIST IS FUCKING ENDLESS

sorry to rant, but if one more ignorant bastard asks in a really fucking patronising way "oh...so what can you do with THAT?!!, scream back "anything i fucking want." You are not limited by your degree, it is a an amazing advantage in more career areas than little computing studies pig shits can imagine....[/quote']

Agreed. Scene point. Whenever a close relative asks me what I'm going to be at the end of my Arts course, I say "I'm going to be fucking EDUCATED Grandma!"

I'm doing Gender and Writing this term and the course is full of chicks. It's totally fucking awesome. If an alien hit the Earth with a ray that made everybody want to fuck, it would be great but I'd have to impose a no fatties rule.

In my History of Art class, there is:

60:15 girls to boys ratio

56:4 acceptable girls to fatties ratio

50:6 teenage dolls to "mature" OAPs ratio

Even allowing for the fact that 1/10 of those are lesbians, there is a 45:1 chance of me getting laid by May!

ooh scene point.

look beek-ster, anyone who spells facade with a double s really needs to get some education. if not for themselves, for the people who have to read their posts.

someone recently made the rather good point that really questioning yourself and your motivations (re things you would like to do with your career etc) at this age is a good thing. for you boring bastards who will end up as a smudgey paste of cells in front of a computer screen slaving away for the occasional weekend break, this experience will only be more traumatic if it occurs later in life, when you are 40, wizened, and desperate to find some kind of fulfilment, or at least try to match up what you expected from life with what you actually have. Anyone who has parents or relatives who have experienced this kind of crisis will know what I'm saying. Remember,we are all going to change careers a few times during our life, so try not to set yourself up to fail by limiting yourself to one...

So, i think it is a very positive thing that i am questioning and researching career paths, and future plans, in order to make informed decisions, and to try to do the best i can to make myself happy!

This for me will mean getting scholarships to study further, or seeking work in Spain! bring it on......

hmm' date=' it appears Lins is frustrated by her inability to chose a profession - so instead she'll be a a drain on the taxpayer for as long as possible while continuing the fassade of "i'm learning for ME" - before finally deciding to tutor the next bunch of wasters. Great contribution luv. Go you *pats on head* now run along and make some coffee.

And while i'm at it... History of what in the what!!.. thumbs up. so useful it hurts.[/quote']

:nono: patronizing and oh, so ignorant. If you can think of a career that wouldn't consider a degree in English even slightly useful, please let me know. As far as I'm concerned, the very fact that I got into one of the oldest and most respected universities in Scotland is pretty impressive.

Put simply, I don't know what I want to be when i 'grow up', so why should I decide to do a vocational degree? Please try and think up a more imprssive arguement than we students being a 'drain on the taxpayers money', I'm sure you had no problem taking advantage before you had to start paying them.

And of course Lins is learning for herself, who else would she be doing it for? It's not a bad thing you know, trying to improve your mind and broaden your horizons. Try it one day, and maybe you'll agree.

You didn't start a new paragraph with a Capital letter, do ya hear me complaining!. While i'm at it; you have a really long sentance in the second paragraph. Please, if you are going to slate my spelling at least have the common decency to puntuate correctly. If not for yourself, for the people who have to read your posts. I'm not entirely bothered about my spelling or punctuation - i'm doing it for me.

Could it not be the case that I questioned myself at an earlier age and decided on my chosen career. I would suggest it is you who'll be slaving away over a computer doing research and writing essays while I'm enjoying the career I chose.

There are many different paths to follow in my career and every chance to study along the way. You'll reach 40 still studying or 'experiencing' spanish culture. Differnet strokes I guess.

Beek-ster.

ooh scene point.

look beek-ster' date=' anyone who spells facade with a double s really needs to get some education. if not for themselves, for the people who have to read their posts.

someone recently made the rather good point that really questioning yourself and your motivations (re things you would like to do with your career etc) at this age is a good thing. for you boring bastards who will end up as a smudgey paste of cells in front of a computer screen slaving away for the occasional weekend break, this experience will only be more traumatic if it occurs later in life, when you are 40, wizened, and desperate to find some kind of fulfilment, or at least try to match up what you expected from life with what you actually have. Anyone who has parents or relatives who have experienced this kind of crisis will know what I'm saying. Remember,we are all going to change careers a few times during our life, so try not to set yourself up to fail by limiting yourself to one...

So, i think it is a very positive thing that i am questioning and researching career paths, and future plans, in order to make informed decisions, and to try to do the best i can to make myself happy!

This for me will mean getting scholarships to study further, or seeking work in Spain! bring it on......[/quote']

You went and spoilt the faSSade

yeah well, coming from the north east it's part of my heritage and you can all run to. LIke i said I realised early waht I wanted to be as its been in my family for years. As soon as I was old enough I continued the family tradition. If yous dont like it yous can lump it

Haha pay no heed to Beeker' date=' despite his 4 year course I work at the same company as him, we gut fucking fish for christ sake ;)[/quote']

Pwned much?

Beek-ster who are you to look down and question anyone's chosen degree?

If it's what they chose to do then they obviously have their own reasons for it.

Just because it's not a vocational degree like Medicine or Law doesn't mean it's not worth doing.

As already said 10 times in this thread it's an education (grandma ;)), which everyone is entitled to. It opens your eyes, it can gives you a better insight and can also open the door to other degrees or just look plain good on a CV.

Higher education isn't for everybody, some people make the right choice in not choosing to go to Uni and go straight into work, but don't criticise the folk who are doing a degree they wanted to do just because you're too blind to see the opportunities they're making available to themselves by learning this stuff.

So there isn't a set job they can get, so they may have to do alot of evaluating their options and make some difficult decisions at the end of it. They're doing it because they want to.

You don't have any right to criticise that. So get off your high horse.

Get this....my mum is on a shite salary....she does a hell of a lot work..

someone at her work left, so she had to do two jobs. the person who left got paid more than twice what my mum did.

so my mum asked if her money could go up seeing as she was now doing two jobs, one of which someone got paid > 30k for...

this got declined because "the person who did that job had a degree"...

in fucking what?! pet care or something...fuck all to do with the job..but the fact they had a degree entitled them to masses more money, instead of a 150% pay rise, i think my mum got something like 3%....

so people fucking around doing shite degrees is dirt in the face of everyone busting their ass for a wage....

I did English at Aberdeen Uni (don't worry I got a 2:1 so I must have got something right)so maybe I can help...what's the qeustion and I'm happy to have a go for ya....

Not so much a question as a compare these three passages and comment of the differences in language' blah bah blah.

I think I'm just going to have to put my head down and actually concentrate now. Meh.