aberdeen-music

Who likes art? and if u do, whos your fave artist?

Hog

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh and i am the biggest fan of JACK VETTRIANO mmmmmmmmm he's paintings are luverly' date=' so peaceful yet sometimes so erotic and sneaky :love:[/quote']

Vettriano is anodyne mass-consumption rubbish.

Anyone seen Tracy Emin's 60,000 quid "sparrow on a stick"? (commissioned by the BBC, licensefee-payers!). I think she is shit, and also her face looks like it was designed by Dali.

So, who has been handing out all the copies of the bluffers guide to fine art?

I LIKE GAUDI HE IS A GRATE ARKITET. BARCELNA IS LUVLY. PICCASSO IS RILLY COOL. GEIGER IS ACE HIS STUFF IS WELL EVIL. DALI IS A GENEUS ITS TRU BEKUZ IT SSAYS SO IN THE TELLY. YAWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Schiele & Rothko are my 2 main influences in my Art Folio that i'm sending away 2 Glasgow next week :help::help::help:

:nono: As for that nonsense: Art to some people may not be a "real job" but artist add to the cultural society - Art can be traced back as far as man has been on this earth - people recognise different cultures and periods in time because of the arts! Everyone knows who built the Pyramids and wrote hieroglyphics Everyone knows what a Picasso painting looks like yet I dont think anyone will really care who 'jim' is centurys for now - unless you do something memorable - which i doubt you will...

Did you not read the one above yer post... I was being ironic (keep it quiet, I'm an artist, you know what folk are like on these boards). I was establishing one of the reason why art is vital. It raises debate about what culture is and stands for in any given time period. Thanks for biting!

;) Good luck with your folio by the way. Always a trying time second guessing what you feel or have been told an art school is looking for... Go with you gut instinct and do what you do. Individuality is what they seek!

Did you not read the one above yer post... I was being ironic (keep it quiet' date=' I'm an artist, you know what folk are like on these boards). I was establishing one of the reason why art is vital. It raises debate about what culture is and stands for in any given time period. Thanks for biting!

;) Good luck with your folio by the way. Always a trying time second guessing what you feel or have been told an art school is looking for... Go with you gut instinct and do what you do. Individuality is what they seek![/quote']

i saw the post now :S i'm a silly

Cheers for the luck - i need it!

Ive been trying to do my own think for the past year and my art teachers at school hate it!They are the ones who send away my folio and they dislike all of it - i have got into many a fight!

My Auntie is a famouse artist and i really wanna follow next to her footsteps and do my bit for the Scottish Art community! I really wanna get in!

p.s - if you ever need your head bitten of again - gimme a shout :cheers:

Ive been trying to do my own think for the past year and my art teachers at school hate it!They are the ones who send away my folio and they dislike all of it - i have got into many a fight!

My Auntie is a famouse artist and i really wanna follow next to her footsteps and do my bit for the Scottish Art community! I really wanna get in!

Never considered it bitten... You shouldn't get personal though, not that I took it as such! School expectations are different from that of higher and further education. Fret not at this point! All will come out in the conceptual wash!

Jim (hoping to leave memories when the time comes)

Guest Zeenat Aman
Never considered it bitten... You shouldn't get personal though' date=' not that I took it as such! School expectations are different from that of higher and further education. Fret not at this point! All come out in the conceptual wash!

Jim (hoping to leave memories when the time comes)[/quote']

I'll remember you, but maybe not for you're art!

My boys doing his degree at Glasgow school of art, he did great at art at school but got so much grief from people (not me) you know the whole "what will you do with an art degree" shit, so he did psychology at cally for a year....almost had a nervous breakdown and left, he then financed himself through a six month portfolio course at the tramway and got into Glasgow at the interview....he's currently in LA on a student exchange...how fucking cool is that?

My boys doing his degree at Glasgow school of art' date=' he did great at art at school but got so much grief from people (not me) you know the whole "what will you do with an art degree" shit, so he did psychology at cally for a year....almost had a nervous breakdown and left, he then financed himself through a six month portfolio course at the tramway and got into Glasgow at the interview....he's currently in LA on a student exchange...how fucking cool is that?[/quote']

Pretty damn cool!

J

My boys doing his degree at Glasgow school of art' date=' he did great at art at school but got so much grief from people (not me) you know the whole "what will you do with an art degree" shit, so he did psychology at cally for a year....almost had a nervous breakdown and left, he then financed himself through a six month portfolio course at the tramway and got into Glasgow at the interview....he's currently in LA on a student exchange...how fucking cool is that?[/quote']

That's great!!! It also gives you somewhere to stay/park the zimmer frame :D when you visit!

That's great!!! It also gives you somewhere to stay/park the zimmer frame :D when you visit!

Thats a bit difficult as he is crashing in his studio on campus at the moment which strictly speaking isnt allowed :nono: but as the campus is open 24/7 and lots of people do it :rockon:

He's also back to Glasgow in April... :down:

Art, yes please

Far too many great artists to mention but a random Top 10 is (with examples) Check the Web Gallery of Art http://www.wga.hu/index1.html...good for older stuff.

1-Correggio. particularly Jupiter and Io Proto-Baroque North Italian renaissance master.

2-Titian. 'Flaying of Marsyas', one for the gore hounds. One of his last paintings c.1575/6

3-Caravaggio. 'Supper at Emmaus' (London version) Big exhibition on in London at the moment, cant afford to go though.

4-Jacques Louis David. ' Death Of Marat' or "Intervention of the Sabine Women'

5-Gustave Courbet. 'The Artist In His Studio' Really Real Realism.

6-Robin Philipson. '2 Winows IV' Abstract and expressionistic, this spectroscopic beauty is usually upstairs in Aberdeen Art Gallery

7-Anish Kapoor. 'Marsyas' I saw this in the Tate Modern, when it was installed as part of the Unilever series, awesome, and also visible as my avatar

8-Gavin Hamilton. 'Achilles Mourning the Death of Patroclus' One of the foremost Scottish painters you never heard of. The above work is at thge NGS, Edinburgh.

9-Atemisia Gentileschi. 'Judith and Holofernes' when you read her story, you know why these paintings look like they do.

10-Piet Mondrian. 'Broadway Boogie Woogie' A natural step on from his better known style

Any other day this list would be different, just like music lists, but some of the artists would always be in there.

• 11 months later...
im really into modern art at the moment...i spent literly all day at "le centre pompidu" lasst time i was in paris... fucking amazing place.

"So we went to the Pompidou....that's in Paris"

Man I love Art Brut, but yeah, The Pompidou is awesome, I love just lying on the ground outside it in the summer looking up at all those ridiculous hamster cage stairways.

they are scary to walk in though innit! last time i was outside (probably where you lie) there was a guy unicycling and juggling n stuff, and he was shit and thought he was gods gift to blah blah blah... he was trying to get folk from the audiance to try things to embarass them.. i fucking kicked his ass in an old school juggle-off, made him look shite :D i love having 1 thing im actually good at