aberdeen-music

Who likes art? and if u do, whos your fave artist?

Hog

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ancient Mariner
Gaudi's a genius' date=' shame there aren't more architects with ideas like him these days, compare Aberdeen to Barcelona for example... it'd be so nice if we had exciting buildings like those to give our city a bit of much needed character...[/quote']

Fuck you, walk around with your head in the air and take a look around you for a change (you could if you weren't in fucking Glasgow, which, although I hate it, has some fine buildings such as the School of Art)

Marschial College is a much nicer building than Gaudi's cathedral (which Orwell said was the most hideous building he had ever scene)

I think a city made predominantly from one distincive type of stone immediately has a distinctive character. Fuck you

grr my posters all mine..who ever said dali is over rated and nothing compared to duchamp and worhal must be blind and living in a really tiny box....apoligies for saying it but the talent that people like that posses is nothing compared to the skill possed by people like dali' date=' a man in the same legue as da'vinci and michelangelo(sp?) , a true genius and master of his art....in my eyes duchamp was a man taking the piss...either that or an idiot...worhal was slightly better and picasso, blah...if they were around today they would be ignored...however someone with true ability (the ability to record a thought / image in a perfect way) will never be dismissed. my most sincere apoligies for this rant but im tired and when im tired i take art way to seriously and am very stuck in my ways and oppinions.. (if by dali not being in the same legue u ment he was good and the others were shit i completly agree and u can ignore this post)...oh and as for the thread i find it hard to have a favourite artist...giger is close but i find it hard to pick one so all artists i look at and like can be my favourites...eh yes

nighty night

Andy[/quote']

sorry, I just about passed out from shock there... Dali has more skill than Picasso? and he's in the same league as Davinci and Michaelangelo? I'm sorry but Picasso would never be ignored for his work, in painting terms he's probably one of the most important 20th century artists, he looked at life in a completely different way to everyone else, he got into the Barcelona school of art at 15, 15 for fucks sake! he could paint as realistically as the best of them but eventually got fed up of it and started something else completely different, changing the artworld completely and influencing just about everyone that came after him. Dali's not bad but isn't in the same league as the real masters. Duchamp also turned the artworld inside out with one piece and challenged every single conception about art that had stood before. You can be tired all you like but a post like that makes me query how much you really understand what you're talking about...

and to the super response of "fuck you" I'd have to say that I agree the marschall college is a great building but I don't think you can argue that aberdeen has the same overall quality of architecture as barcelona can you? and why does me being in glasgow have anything to do with my opinions on aberdeen? I've lived in the deen long enough to know what the buildings look like for christs sake...

Guest Ancient Mariner
and to the super response of "fuck you" I'd have to say that I agree the marschall college is a great building but I don't think you can argue that aberdeen has the same overall quality of architecture as barcelona can you? and why does me being in glasgow have anything to do with my opinions on aberdeen? I've lived in the deen long enough to know what the buildings look like for christs sake...

Is Aberdeen of the same size and stature to Barcelona? No' date=' so more architects come from and chose to work there. But Aberdeen has produced it's own GREAT architects, such as Archibald Simpson and Marschial Mackenzie, and buildings, a lot of which can no longer be seen as they were knocked down by the councils of the 50s and 60s in a social-realist purge.

I was defending my city against the allegation that it lacks character because of a dearth of distinctive architecture, not saying that

aberdeen has the same overall quality of architecture as barcelona

i don't know why you're getting so annoyed. I'm not slagging aberdeen or you off, I just think barcelona is a nicer city to look at in general, it comes down to something you said earlier, Aberdeen is mostly built from one distinctive type of stone. However the predominant colour of that stone is grey. This, to be honest, makes aberdeen quite a grey place. Now I know why everything is built from granite so I don't need it explained to me but do you not think if you look at barcelona, with it's vibrant colours, exciting shapes and variety of building materials then look at aberdeen which is predominantly grey, built from one type of stone that aberdeen is just a bit dull in comparison? you might not, that's your call but I just don't really think that architecturally, aberdeen is a particularly stimulating place to look at. I do apologise if my saying that pisses you off but I'm just saying what I think.

im with this guy here...aberdeen cannot even compare with barcelona...as for marschial college being a nicer building than the sagrada familia..the two shouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentence let alone compared...both are beutiful but to compare two very different buildings is just silly...these two cities couldnt be any different if they tried and thus comparing the two is not something that should be done. And i said that if those folks were around today they would be ignored, they just happened to do what they did at a time when no-one else was, not that they will be ignored.

im with this guy here...aberdeen cannot even compare with barcelona...as for marschial college being a nicer building than the sagrada familia..the two shouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentence let alone compared...both are beutiful but to compare two very different buildings is just silly...these two cities couldnt be any different if they tried and thus comparing the two is not something that should be done. And i said that if those folks were around today they would be ignored' date=' they just happened to do what they did at a time when no-one else was, not that they will be ignored.[/quote']

ah ok, I took what you said a bit wrong. I'd agree in today's sensationalist obsessed artworld that genuinely talented painters like Picasso and also Dali would both probably be under-appreciated, pretty sad times when you can say something like that and mean it huh?

Also...

Picasso, Dali, Gaudi. common connection? they've all lived in barcelona at some point, coincidence? and I don't say that to spark arguements, I genuinely wonder if people think there's some form of connection between their work and the influence of the city?

i don't know why you're getting so annoyed. I'm not slagging aberdeen or you off' date=' I just think barcelona is a nicer city to look at in general, it comes down to something you said earlier, Aberdeen is mostly built from one distinctive type of stone. However the predominant colour of that stone is grey. This, to be honest, makes aberdeen quite a grey place. Now I know why everything is built from granite so I don't need it explained to me but do you not think if you look at barcelona, with it's vibrant colours, exciting shapes and variety of building materials then look at aberdeen which is predominantly grey, built from one type of stone that aberdeen is just a bit dull in comparison? you might not, that's your call but I just don't really think that architecturally, aberdeen is a particularly stimulating place to look at. I do apologise if my saying that pisses you off but I'm just saying what I think.[/quote']

I didnt find Barcelona architecturally that exciting...I found the cathedral ugly but stunning.

You also have to take geography into account, Aberdeen is only grey when the sky is grey, when its bathed in sunshine it sparkles.

i think the reason that barcelona played such a part in these artists lives is that it is a very inspiring place with a very bohemian atmosphere, it inspires creation and artistic exploration....in my experiance whenever i have visited barcelona on returning home i for the next week or so churn out a steady flow of paintings and drawings. as an artist there is far more inspiration in the form of the people and the enviroment in a place like barcelona that anything i think you could find in this country.

Art shmart...it's all nonsense and irrelevant. Makes no sense to around 98% of the population and causes nothing but debate and irrate discourse based on why and what it's all about! I for one can't think why anyone would choose to study art!!! Go get a job and give something useful to the country!

Jim :swearing:

Goodness me, that sounds a bit like music....wait a minute...thats art isnt it?

Lets give it a try

"Music schmusic...it's all nonsense and irrelevant. Makes no sense to around 98% of the population and causes nothing but debate and irrate discourse based on why and what it's all about! I for one can't think why anyone would choose to study Music!!! Go get a job and give something useful to the country!

Hmmm...!!!

Goodness me' date=' that sounds a bit like music....wait a minute...thats art isnt it?

Lets give it a try

"Music schmusic...it's all nonsense and irrelevant. Makes no sense to around 98% of the population and causes nothing but debate and irrate discourse based on why and what it's all about! I for one can't think why anyone would choose to study Music!!! Go get a job and give something useful to the country!

Hmmm...!!![/quote']

Goddamn it fits!!

Bring back the work-houses and lets get the kids up the chimneys before they get silly ideas of creativity!

Jim

Goddamn it fits!!

Bring back the work-houses and lets get the kids up the chimneys before they get silly ideas of creativity!

Jim

Now theres an idea.....

How about the re-introduction of national service? lets say at 14 for two years then they come home and brush up on their studies which will be like heaven after spending two years yomping accross yorkshire moors at two in the morning and getting marched off to godforsaken deserts to kill Arabs for no apparant reason.

Ok Jim thats that sorted....

NEXT

lol' date=' didnt realise that this thread would get heated!

I do think that Dali is underrated and up with the best of them, including Picasso. Anyone like cubism?[/quote']

Picasso's early stuff is great but no I'm not a big cubism fan....

I'm surprised there are no Jackson Pollok fans about though...

lol' date=' didnt realise that this thread would get heated!

I do think that Dali is underrated and up with the best of them, including Picasso. Anyone like cubism?[/quote']

Went through my cubism phase in the second term of art school! Still love it but I tend not to look back too far now. We are kind of in a 'neo minimalist' space now by the way. Not that the art world or any scene can be defined these days. Many disperate and unique artists following very indivudual paths now, based on everything that hashappened thus far. Film, theatre, media, music, politics, global economics, cultural acceleration all more relevant than what another artist is doing, but we all feed one another! And long may it continue. The same as music by the way...

Have I just came out?

EGON SCHIELE is one of my favourites too!!!!

scene point!!!!! :D (So happy someone else actually knows who they are!!)

Schiele & Rothko are my 2 main influences in my Art Folio that i'm sending away 2 Glasgow next week :help::help::help:

Art shmart...

I for one can't think why anyone would choose to study art!!! Go get a job and give something useful to the country!

:nono: As for that nonsense: Art to some people may not be a "real job" but artist add to the cultural society - Art can be traced back as far as man has been on this earth - people recognise different cultures and periods in time because of the arts! Everyone knows who built the Pyramids and wrote hieroglyphics Everyone knows what a Picasso painting looks like yet I dont think anyone will really care who 'jim' is centurys for now - unless you do something memorable - which i doubt you will...

Went through my cubism phase in the second term of art school! Still love it but I tend not to look back too far now. We are kind of in a 'neo minimalist' space now by the way. Not that the art world or any scene can be defined these days. Many disperate and unique artists following very indivudual paths now' date=' based on everything that hashappened thus far. Film, theatre, media, music, politics, global economics, cultural acceleration all more relevant than what another artist is doing, but we all feed one another! And long may it continue. The same as music by the way...

Have I just came out?[/quote']

I was going to rat on you if you didn't, twoback joe, you stirrer!! :swearing::kiss:

Anybody seen the film about Pollock, starring Ed Harris?