aberdeen-music

Who likes art? and if u do, whos your fave artist?

Hog

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm amazed by the number of people referencing Giger, I had no idea people thought that much of him. I'm not his biggest fan but the concept work he did for Alien and Aliens is some of the most imaginative work I think I've ever seen.

Dali on the other hand is a bit overated in my opinion, he was good but not in the same league as Picasso, Duchamp(sp?), Warhol etc. I think Dali is often favoured by people because he's very easy to write about so he's usually one of the first artists that people learn about at school (along with Van Gogh).

Also, no-one seems to have mentioned anyone except painters... does nobody admire video artists or architects etc in the same way they do painters?

I admire some architects.....Eileen Gray (I've written 2 songs about her), Gaudi, Frank Lloyd Wright, Santiago Calatrava etc

Artists I admire tend to be subtle, not very in-your-face types, like Gwen John, Dora Carrington, James Cowie, Henry Lamb, etc, although I'm not averse to more expressionist artists like De Kooning, Francis Bacon etc, or abstract artists such as Mark Rothko or Bridget Riley.

I'm amazed by the number of people referencing Giger' date=' I had no idea people thought that much of him. I'm not his biggest fan but the concept work he did for Alien and Aliens is some of the most imaginative work I think I've ever seen. [/quote']

Yeah, HR. Giger is amazing. I loved what he did with the cover of the Danzig cd 'how the gods kill'. His paintings are not just cool, but very interesting.

Dali on the other hand is a bit overated in my opinion' date=' he was good but not in the same league as Picasso, Duchamp(sp?), Warhol etc. I think Dali is often favoured by people because he's very easy to write about so he's usually one of the first artists that people learn about at school (along with Van Gogh). [/quote']

Dali was who I studied in 3rd/4th year. I did like his work, but he isn't my favourite artist. Still, his paintings are always very intriguing . I have picasso postcards on my wall :) i studied him too, and liked his style. Especially all the weird portraits of faces he did.

Other artists/sculptures I have just thought of: Kenny Hunter (Feedback loop is in the art gallery - love it!) Charles Rennie Mackintosh, Manet (love Olympia) and Alphonse Mucha

grr my posters all mine..who ever said dali is over rated and nothing compared to duchamp and worhal must be blind and living in a really tiny box....apoligies for saying it but the talent that people like that posses is nothing compared to the skill possed by people like dali, a man in the same legue as da'vinci and michelangelo(sp?) , a true genius and master of his art....in my eyes duchamp was a man taking the piss...either that or an idiot...worhal was slightly better and picasso, blah...if they were around today they would be ignored...however someone with true ability (the ability to record a thought / image in a perfect way) will never be dismissed. my most sincere apoligies for this rant but im tired and when im tired i take art way to seriously and am very stuck in my ways and oppinions.. (if by dali not being in the same legue u ment he was good and the others were shit i completly agree and u can ignore this post)...oh and as for the thread i find it hard to have a favourite artist...giger is close but i find it hard to pick one so all artists i look at and like can be my favourites...eh yes

nighty night

Andy