aberdeen-music

guitars will be guitars

Guest neil ex

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats just a lie, really.

although anything above 400 quid is usually just as good as somethign thats like 2000.

cheap cheap guitars have horrible fret jobs, the wood is plywood, and the components they use are SHITE! i replaced the pots and switches on my tele squire for about 10 quid, and the difference was amazing, the pickups are also poor, and the cavities arnt sheilded.

end.

p.s if saxaphone was a popular instrument like guitar, youd be able to buy cheap ones for 100-200 quid, but theyd be shite, think about it.

Guest neil ex

are you calling me a liar?

yeah, maybe the quality of the guitar is improved as the price goes up

for example, your guitar will probably work longer if you paid 1000 for it rather than 70

but if i was given a choice of guitar to play for one gig between, for example, a squire strat or a 3000 strat it wouldn't matter to me........

guitars are boring

within reason i'm talking about,

i'm just saying, why would someone want to spend thousands of pounds on a guitar? it's stupid to me

Go and play an expensive guitar. Then you'll notice the difference.

Think about tone. Better woods give deeper tone and cost more money. After the 1000 or so mark, extra money usually goes into the finish of the guitar; attention to detail.

true indeed craig... woods aere the most important... i have a bass made of chipboard ok it was 70 new but still is heavy has got no sustain no matter what i do to the intonation is always of pluss is metallized red.

also construction is pricey get a neckthrough and compare it to a bolt on then you get the idea

Originally posted by neil ex:

are you calling me a liar?

yeah, maybe the quality of the guitar is improved as the price goes up

for example, your guitar will probably work longer if you paid 1000 for it rather than 70

but if i was given a choice of guitar to play for one gig between, for example, a squire strat or a 3000 strat it wouldn't matter to me........

guitars are boring

within reason i'm talking about,

i'm just saying, why would someone want to spend thousands of pounds on a guitar? it's stupid to me

i think what your saying is inacurate below the 300 range, really cheap guitars are really shit, and thats just the end of the argument.

You pay for what you get with guitars to some extent. It all depends on who your buying from really. Some companies offer better products for cheaper and some companies are over priced...a Gibson Les Paul might cost 1700 and a Tokai copy about 900 and from what I've heard the Tokai might be bette built...it's still not 150 though is it?

Good wood costs...the better the wood you use the better the sound you will get. Where as Alder comes in at around 50 for a guitar sized sheet, some like Brazilian Mahogany is going to be in the hundred's.

Better electronics cost more. Good pickups cost more than the one you'll find on a cheap guitar. Better magnets, more accuratly wound wire even active components all cost more and sound better.

Time and care that goes into building a better guitar bumps up the price. Cheap guitars are made by the hundreds in factories and slung together, more expensive guitars can have hand selected woods, no manufacturing faults<more rejects costs more>, carefully finished and put together. Taking time costs money and leaves you with a better product.

Originally posted by YETI:

true indeed craig... woods aere the most important... i have a bass made of chipboard ok it was 70 new but still is heavy has got no sustain no matter what i do to the intonation is always of pluss is metallized red.

also construction is pricey get a neckthrough and compare it to a bolt on then you get the idea

Are you saying a neckthrough is in some way better than a bolt on, or that they are just more expensive to make, neither statement is factual!

Originally posted by GraemeC:

Are you saying a neckthrough is in some way better than a bolt on, or that they are just more expensive to make, neither statement is factual!

Well it does give you super strong neck/body join as they are one...no bulcky heel area for bolts like on a bolt on...surely that's an improvement? It allows for radical double cut aways which otherwise maybe be unstable/somewhat fragile...that's a bonus?

Its all very subjective.....I have owned and played both....I can see the advantages of no heel for some bass players but for mere mortals like me who live our lives at the lower reaches of the bass neck it makes little or no odds. As for strength, fender have been building bolt ons for thousands of years....I have never seen strength to be an issue with them....in fact, god forbid, but if I owned a bass that got damaged in the neck dept. I would think a bolt on would be a blessing.

As for radical double cuts....again thats great for the more adventurous/talented among us.

Its all very subjective.....I have owned and played both....I can see the advantages of no heel for some bass players but for mere mortals like me who live our lives at the lower reaches of the bass neck it makes little or no odds. As for strength, fender have been building bolt ons for thousands of years....I have never seen strength to be an issue with them....in fact, god forbid, but if I owned a bass that got damaged in the neck dept. I would think a bolt on would be a blessing.

As for radical double cuts....again thats great for the more adventurous/talented among us.

indeed but you have to take in consideration the sound. slap on some effects and you could not care less. BUT if, like me, dont use effect end rely solely on the bass performance a neckthrough gives more sustain. also the whole instrument resonate to give a fuller softer sound.

at the end of the day. a guitar is a guitar. once you plug it into your amp... its takes over

most of your sound comes from the amp

if i was so bothered about the price of guitars and how much better a top quality guitar is, i would of bought myself a Gibson by now. But instead, i have my two homebuilt guitars and my two fenders(mex and jap) and i must admit... i'm fucking mega happy. the most expensive guitar i own cost me 400 including a hard case!

indeed but you have to take in consideration the sound. slap on some effects and you could not care less. BUT if, like me, dont use effect end rely solely on the bass performance a neckthrough gives more sustain. also the whole instrument resonate to give a fuller softer sound.

As I said before all very subjective.....I have neither seen or heard any evidence of your above statement....and if it were true is greater sustain the holy grail for bass players in general....i doubt it, and your claim of a fuller softer sound fall a bit flat when you think of the very first neck through bass....the Rickenbacker....the 4001 being chosen by many bass players for its attack and lead instrument qualities.

Please don't get me wrong....I love many bass guitars that are set/through neck design but I would never discount or pass over a guitar just because it had a bolt on neck....they all have their place and their merits and drawbacks.

Oh and I don't use effects either.

neck thru giving more sustain is bollocks

there are many other factors that influence the sustain than just the neck thru, my guitar is a neck thru, but since it has a floyd (which suck sustain) it probably has less sustain than many bolt ons, the bridge and how it is attached to the body make a big difference, as does the general quality of the instrument, a well made, tight neck join on a bolt on will di just as good a job as a neck thru.

it all depends on the particular guitar and how well it is made and the choice of hardware on it

as for cheaper guitars being just as good as more expensive guitars, thats also a load of rubbish, a more expensive guitar will have better woods and hardware and better general construction making it sound and feel nicer to play, a cheap guitar will sound poo and not play/feel nearly as nice, whether htere is a need to pay for a better guitar when a cheaper one does the job is down to personal preference and whether you would like to play a better instrument, or save your money for other things, though as you get into the 1k+ range of guitars the money will go towards nicer more exotic finishes and smaller touches, like fancy inlays or binding which dont really make a difference to playing the guitar, but are nicer to look at. i have two guitars, one worth 560, and one worth 100, and i know the more expensive one feels and sounds much better than the cheaper one meaning i like playing it more, so i am happy i spent the extra cash on it.

David

Heres an interesting point.....Niall Mathewson who owns The Mill and plays guitar for Pallas plays Squire strats, ok so his main guitar and main spare ar JV series ones which are quality guitars made in Japan but he does have a couple of newer ones.

The guitars have little or no bearing on his sound as he uses a roland guitar synth......

to go back to the sustain... ive got 4 basses 2 nechthrough and 2 boltons. the neckthroughs have at least duble the sustaine than the bolt on how do ypu explain that? i do agree on the subjectivity of instruments i personally hate every fender in circulation because are the most uncomfortable thing to play and tghe sound is too nasal but i seem to understand that is the most popular make in abdn....

anyway personal experience is what makes us different musican with different tastes....

Guest Geetardude
Originally posted by Eriatarka:

at the end of the day. a guitar is a guitar. once you plug it into your amp... its takes over

most of your sound comes from the amp

if i was so bothered about the price of guitars and how much better a top quality guitar is, i would of bought myself a Gibson by now. But instead, i have my two homebuilt guitars and my two fenders(mex and jap) and i must admit... i'm fucking mega happy. the most expensive guitar i own cost me 400 including a hard case!

To say most of the sound comes from the amp is sadly true.....most manufacturers now want you to sound like their product...Mesa amps will shape your sound to sound like a Mesa regardless of your guitar or set up....Fender the same etc etc.

Sad but true......

Guest Geetardude

Heres an interesting point.....Niall Mathewson who owns The Mill and plays guitar for Pallas plays Squire strats, ok so his main guitar and main spare ar JV series ones which are quality guitars made in Japan but he does have a couple of newer ones.

The guitars have little or no bearing on his sound as he uses a roland guitar synth......

But surely a synth has no soul? How does he get the feeling across?

to go back to the sustain... ive got 4 basses 2 nechthrough and 2 boltons. the neckthroughs have at least duble the sustaine than the bolt on how do ypu explain that?

Well ok and I cant argue that your neckthrus sustain more than your bolt ons.....but why is that so important?

Hands up all those bass players who put sustain at the top of their shopping list when buying a guitar........

If sustain is what you like and your guitars give you that, thats fine, and i'm really pleased for you, but I just dont think its that important so I dont think that it makes a neckthru any better.....

Its all very personal and there is little point in argueing about it.....

If I like the feel sound and look of a bass thats me sold.....I could care less if the neck is blue tacked on.....if it works....i'll play it.

To get back to the main argument a guitar will be a guitar, but to be fair, it's sound limmitations are only as limmited as the user. Guitarists use different methods to extract sounds, the ATDI used pedals to create some awesome sounds, Rage guitarist used different parts of the guitar to get different textures (putting the jack on the bridge - volume control moving...) so i'd rekon its just down to the user and how they exploit their instrument.

Also with guitar's it comes down to prefrence. I'd still rather play my original squier stratt (was no more than 200) than my Peavy V-Type (cost over 400) because i prefer the sound of the squier even thought it's heavier, longer,and has a larger fretboard.

We have a 15 year old beat up Squier strat in the house...it's the only thing my dad plays and he's been playing for well over 30years...he's been shopping for something to replace for ages and so far nothing...it's def. not sound nor appearence that makes it good, it sounds shite plugged in and it's battered and old but it feels great to play...it's not a good guitar but it's good to play. If you want good sound and playability it's going to cost.

I have never seen strength to be an issue with them....in fact, god forbid, but if I owned a bass that got damaged in the neck dept. I would think a bolt on would be a blessing.

I know that bolt ons are strong and if something did happen to my neck the ability to screw it off and put a new one on is going to be a relief. Neck Thru's are just necks with wings so your right if something goes wrong it's the whole guitar that's in jepordy.

I guess like people have said it's personal preference. Bolt on suits me as I never need to venture past about the 19th fret and even then 90% of playing is the 7th and below. The best way to get around is the problem is to buy both lol...