aberdeen-music

Hmmm Micro$oft, XP. SP2???

Guest Main Agent

Guest Main Agent

April 12th is the very last day. Thats when the clock runs, and the deadline looms.

And here you thought it was April 15th. Nope, its the twelfth. Because were not talking about the day your taxes are due. On no. Were talking about the day that your Windows XP or Windows XP SP1 computer will be automatically updated to XP SP2 (Service Pack 2) whether you want it to or not. Period.

Up until now users who did not want to accept the SP2 update had the option of temporarily blocking the update from being downloaded to their machines through the Automatic or Windows Update mechanisms, however that option expires on April 12th.

According to Microsofts latest alert on the issue, The intent of this alert is to provide you with a reminder about the upcoming deadline around the date on which Automatic Update (AU) and Windows Update (WU) will deliver Windows XP SP2 regardless of the presence of the blocking mechanism.

For a start, the article is speaking shite - anyone with the computer know how could configure a firewall to block any communication from Microsoft servers.

Secondly, April 12th is the day that Windows Update will require SP2 to be installed - Microsoft aren't going to "force" people to upgrade, but they'll cease to recieve windows XP patches if they aren't upgraded.

Guest Main Agent

Yes I know where your coming from Cloud, I just pasted that from the auntyspam.com site,

Maybe the idea is just all about maximising product shelf life and marketing,

I know when I first tried to run SP2 on my machine, it went so far, then told me that my serial# may not be valid....:(

So, I know I have a dodge Corp edition, but then had to suss a regedit to change it to a valid #, then ran the exe again, :)

Many dodge copy owners might get put off, when they find out,

One of the guys I know ran SP2 on his dodge pro copy, and guess what...windows broken, reinstall...:(

Anyway, the list of security patches on micro$oft site grows and grows, as this list increases there is a proportional decrease in security, eventually rendering an unpatched machine to an insecure state. Prompting a user to spend.