aberdeen-music

Im interested in starting college and need help:

Fast Caz

As it appears other members have added thier own responses this may not be new information to you. But the best way is to go onto the college website i.e. www.abcol.ac.uk and search for something that sounds interesting or alternatively go and see a careers advisor and get some information from them.

I hope this comes as some help if not it helped the boredom disappear for a while

:rockon:

Here's a tip - don't leave school at 16.

Too late for you' date=' but let this be a lesson to all you other 16 year olds - quit school and you will be working in Burger King trying to scrape together a college course! Jesting.[/quote']

i don't agree with that. obviously it depends on the person. i left school at 17, purely because i did not have the academic ability to continue with a lot of my subjects (with the exception of english, which was the only school subject i've ever been interested in/good at) leaving school was one of the best things i've ever done.

as for college, i would advise going to see a careers advisor. i think they have them online now as well, although i may be wrong..

It does indeed depend on the person - in your case you were obviously right to leave.

However, I do think that many people are hasty to jump ship and leave simply because they can. Getting Highers is very important, it only takes one year and from then on your options are limitless. Leaving school early gives you one option - college or working.

Once you go down that road its hard to get back to a position akin to where you could be if you did Highers.

And pluis after all that hard work you get: 6th year! Which is by far the best, most fun year you get for a long time!

It does indeed depend on the person - in your case you were obviously right to leave.

However' date=' I do think that many people are hasty to jump ship and leave simply because they can. Getting Highers is very important, it only takes one year and from then on your options are limitless. Leaving school early gives you one option - college or working.

Once you go down that road its hard to get back to a position akin to where you could be if you did Highers.

And pluis after all that hard work you get: 6th year! Which is by far the best, most fun year you get for a long time![/quote']

I think there's too much pressure on people to get five highers at A/B grades, get a degree, secure a job etc. They might not necessarily enjoy the job.

I left school with 7 standard grades (all at a 2/3), two intermediate 2s (both at a B) and a Higher in Modern Studies ©. I should have been doing another four highers this year, but I was predicted to fail them all except English. I'd rather be where I am now and happy, going to college in September than still at school being miserable and not doing much at all with my life.

I hated sixth year. Probably because it was the year I lost all of my friends, so it had a knock-on effect on my schoolwork, but really, it was pointless. Sure, you get extra freedoms but you're still treated like a twelve year-old.

My, this was quite a punk-rock post.

Sometimes i question myself as to why i left school but i was the same as allstardawn i was only ever really good/interested in english and music so i said to myself i would take a year out just to have a laugh and fuck about but i think now it was a stupid idea but i am tryingto redeem myself even tho it will involve alot more hard work to get back but ah well

cheers for the advice so far