aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Cowboy Dan

Attention nerds.

What's the cheapest, good 3D card I could get just now? I'm playing Half Life 2 and it looks pretty shit on my 64mb GeForce 2 and the loading times are pretty gay, so I'm upgrading to 1Gb of RAM and going to buy a new 3D card if it's cheap...

So, any suggestions? Yeh I'm talking to you "Mr. Tristen"

Yes, but that hardly narrows it down does it? There are hundreds of different cards and hundreds of different sites selling them, what i'm asking for is an educated opinion on which ones I should consider, please refrain from ever coming in contact with me again because I hate you.

Depends wot you mean by cheap, but the GeForce 6600 GT is pretty good and you should be able to pick one up for about 80-90 ish 128mb, seriosly good kit for you gaming nerds.

Hope this is in someway helpful.

Yes, grab yourself a Geforce 6600 GT - by far the best card you can get for the money. It comes in AGP and PCI-E but your probably not going to have a PCI-E motherboard sinec you are inept so get the AGP one.

Also, upgrading is possible buy buying another one and having them set in SLI formation! Once SLI is fully supported of course, and you need the PCI-E version for that.

Anyway... 6600 GT.

Yes' date=' grab yourself a Geforce 6600 GT - by far the best card you can get for the money. It comes in AGP and PCI-E but your probably not going to have a PCI-E motherboard sinec you are inept so get the AGP one.

Also, upgrading is possible buy buying another one and having them set in SLI formation! Once SLI is fully supported of course, and you need the PCI-E version for that.

Anyway... 6600 GT.[/quote']

Hey, i'm not inept, I used to know my stuff back in the days of the voodoo 2 2000 etc. but I kind of lost track of it over the years. You were right though, i've got an MSI motherboard which is AGP. I was reading about the SLI function, that looks interesting.

Yes, the 6600GT looks good although unfortunately it's not as cheap as "alkaline" estimated, so I better get saving...

Thank you.

www.google.co.uk

the first 10 results will give you prices

:rolleyes:

Reptile - i was refering to this price of this card - more than he is willing to spend!

The 6600GT, scan.co.uk and dabs.com I think you could get for around 130 which is admirable!

Also, if you did get them SLI in the future - you get the performance of a 300 + card for only 260!! (assuming the motherboard is compatable).

But at the moment SLI is not fully implemented in most games and so you wouldn't get the huge performance increases that are theoretically possible but it will come...

I assumed you were inept as you started the thread "Attention Nerds", when infact you now confess to being one hehe :p

got a radeon 9600 256mb

and it runs farcry, UT2K4 and the like at a very healthy frame rate.

AMD 2600+, 1 Gig PC3200 DDR400, Hercules 9600 256Mb and an Audiophile 2496 soundcard.

upgrades in the summer!

ok new solution... buy this months Custom PC magazine in the shops and read the main article.

Just icked up mine yesterday and its a huge test of all the mid-range GFX cards, like the 6600GT etc - buy, read, problem solved!