aberdeen-music

anyone recommend a singing teacher?

kirkt

sorry, i don't actually know any singing teachers, though perhaps that place on the corner of union street and holburn street may do lessons?

i think it would make a great difference, because part of learning to sing is correct breathing technique, like that old thing they tell you about singing from your stomach, not your lungs.

apparently when david bowie stopped smoking recently, he found that he could sing five semitones higher. not entirely relevant, but interesting all the same.

Tara Leiper from Aberdeen College. A great teacher/musician, I dont know how much she charges for lessons though!

Singing lessons definitely make a difference, not only does it improve your singing, it also improves your general health!

• 2 weeks later...

If youcan get a hold of a good teacherits amazing the difference you will find when you start getting training. Even just from a confidence point of view..

My teacher teaches through college and doesnt doexternal lessons.

However, I was recommended the Music Centre on Holburn Street, and Tara Leiper from the College. But I never took these up, but you really should look into it.

Originally posted by spellchecker:

sorry, i don't actually know any singing teachers, though perhaps that place on the corner of union street and holburn street may do lessons?

i think it would make a great difference, because part of learning to sing is correct breathing technique, like that old thing they tell you about singing from your stomach, not your lungs.

apparently when david bowie stopped smoking recently, he found that he could sing five semitones higher. not entirely relevant, but interesting all the same.

The Music Room.

Guest iamkelly

Yes, of course. Take no offense if you a) work there, b) have a fondness of the place, because this is only my own opinion.

I found the teaching was very basic. They didn't really cater to your style/voice.

So, you could be a beginner, walk in, and expect to be taught from scratch, everything you needed to know.

And you could be a pro, walk in, and they'd talk about the same damn thing, regardless of what you already know/wanted to learn.

To say more on the style sense; Maybe the Music Room just wasn't the kind of training I was looking for. I'd say if you're looking to just sing like everyone else who gets voice lessons, then go there, because you, your friend, and your friends mum will all end up sounding the same once you leave! So, if you still want your own voice, and just need some help with pitch/tonality/finding your voice, etc. I'd look elsewhere. Also, I didn't feel like they really gave a damn what I sounded like. It was more of a 'Hey, I'm getting paid, and you can just sing and I'll watch. Oh and I'll throw in a couple of comments that make me sound like I deserved my degree in Music."

On a personal basis, I found the guy I took lessons from to be quite______ . there is no word for it. He was condescending from the start, not by insulting me, but just ignoring the fact that I had prior knowledge/experience, etc. Didn't force me to do things, but 'strongly suggested' I do them. Just very pushy... and when asked questions or challenged, didn't seem to take it all too well.

Pricing wasn't cheap either, especially not for value.