aberdeen-music

Gemini Star Studio ???

threeornothing

Did anyone ever record at Gemini Star Studio aka Juno House of Blairs ?? Eradicate did our first demo there, on a special deal of 5 an hour (we could only afford 30 :D). The sound engineer was a cool guy (Steve I think his name was) and liked our band and did a great job. I've spoke toa few folk who have recorded there, all with their own experiences...ours was quite funny, despite us recording for 30, this was serious bucks to us at the time (still is) and we forgot to take the money with us, so after going to all the troube of catching the bus to Portlethen Asda and getting a lift to the studio from June herself, I did the unmanly thing of working the water works a bit for the sympathy vote, so we got to record for free on the condition that we picked up the master tape from a newsagents the following day in exchange for the 30.....this seemed normal enough to us at the time :D

Some bands here must have been out there?

WIsh I still had the above master tape ;(

Guest Main Agent

John Chisholm, Nice guy, June mellow well meaning woman, loadsa money???

dunno, sounds familiar, never been to the studio, but met them in the shops or something like that..:)

Guest RockMonkey

Good Lord... It was Jemini Star Rock School when I first went there. I arrived pre "converted living room" and played in Rock Child, for my sins. I met a lot of interesting people. I also was told I couldn't sing and I wasn't as pretty as the other girl who was in the band, and that I had no future in music. I had various other experiences there that I do not care to mention.

It is no longer there. In fact the building was razed to the ground and rebuilt.

maple did some demo stuff in there, Steve, indeed, a very good engineer, shame about the muppets surrounding him there...

(did anyone count june & john's fingers ? I swear I counted 12).

we recorded "springtime" there, and June thought that a linear song with no change for 4 mins was "not right"....C had major fun with her...

strange place indeed...

Guest DustyDeviada

Haven't seen John for ages, last time I saw him he was working in a paper shop on that road beside the Malt Mill. He should really be a candidate for the controversial "Aberdeen Celebrities" thread.

He was in my year at Cults, and his hobbies seemed to involve masturbation in the toilets and auto-erotica with a Pritt Stick.

Were the Chisolm's not convinced that their son was the reincarnation of Mozart? I'm sure I've heard lots of dodgy stories about them' date=' but old age has made me forget most of them...

Flossie[/quote']

no, just Jesus (they had an oil painting of him as jesus, crucified on the cross)...(yes, my ass was twitchy when I saw that).

they also forced John "guitar god" to mimic the shadows, before they realised that metal was the way.

the best quote I heard form someone about Johns first show was :

"he filled his underpants to capacity"

And to Keilan, yeah, "C" who worked in one up, and sleep walks out of 3rd story windows.

Guest DustyDeviada

Yep, sure I remember seeing a picture of John with Hank Marvin in a shellsuit taken circa 1989.

He had Iron maiden sign his guitar soon afterwards I think.

I remember in first year John genuinely was pretty brilliant (compared to everyone else), but everyone else just got better and he didn't.

did you not read the "bad news from Le Reno Amps" al posted ?

C sleepwalked (sleptwalked ?) out of a full "door like window" on the 3rd floor of his BnB, and fell 30+ feet onto concrete, he's apparently remarkably OK for it...

he has a fractured eye socket (only a 1inch scar) + two broken wrists, the most worrying thing is he's got a blood clot in the brain, and it's giving him mood swings, but I think they've operated on that...

so, he's a lucky (very lucky) unlucky guy...

al said they might move him to Elgin hospital, closer to his home.

• 2 years later...

I used to be in Fester with John Chisholm. Practiced out at the house pre & post studio conversion. Knew Jo from then too.. Strange family for sure. John is giving guitar lessons.. see free papers for his advert "King of the Strings". Folks have both retired. I know where they live now actually... haha I used to work for Parcel Force in BOD and that's where they live now. We made up a few myths about them though... haha don't think i should share incase they stumble upon this thread.

Baz