aberdeen-music

Why no discussion of this band?

Lawy Lawson:Attorney

I searched the forums and have only seen one other poster mention them in the "Best of 2004" thread. Who am I talking about?

The Dresden Dolls. The last new band that I actually feel excited about, that actually give me that little butterfly-feeling in my stomach I haven't felt about music since my mid 'teens.

In some ways, they defy everything that's populatr right now. They shun guitars for nowt but piano and drums, they have a definte image but it's influenced by German cabert rather than any off-shoot of punk or metal (although argubly, they're a bit goth, I guess) but even so, they have a sense of humour and can't help but make each other laugh and have fun whilst playing live. Their music ranges from musical pastiche (The Jeep Song) to thrash-piano (Girl Anachorism) and they are completely and utterly fucking awesome.

I know guitar based music is the big thing right now, but these guys really, really deserve people's attention. Anyone here see them on their current tour?

They're supporting NIN on their next tour so perhaps that could be their breakthrough. I always kinda expected The Faint to go stellar and that never happened, so I could be wrong (again) but I'm bursting with enthusiasm about this band.

this band make me so happy that i don't even care that i gushed when i briefly spoke to amanda palmer at their gig on thursday night. i mean, i have barely listened to anything else since i heard about them in october. LISTEN TO THIS BAND!!! my hope is that when they come back to edinburgh in the summer lapsus linguae will come out of hiding and be their support = perfect gig!