aberdeen-music

Using Humour To Cover Tragedy...

Mr. Tristen

Taking from two sides in a recently closed arm thread I can't help but notice half of people here crack jokes about it, the other half take offence to it. Personally I feel joking about such a subject is a perfectly valid response to such a story. There are several ways people can deal with horrible events and it strikes me humour is one of the best ones, I'm sure nobody actually approves or necessarily finds it funny in the act itself, its just simply trying to put a lighter perspective on a tragic scenario rather than simply loosing even more faith in the world we live in.

So yeah, I vote for allowing humour in such cases... Too early in my morning can't write as articulate a post as I would like, will try again later,

Discuss....

I recently made some terrible jokes about something terrible.

I always assume that as long as I find something that happened to me funny, others will too.

This wasnt the case unfortunately, and I actually ended up making someone really nice feel really horrible.

I'll never stop finding most things funny, but think I should switch the tact back on sometimes.

OR NOT x

Taking from two sides in a recently closed arm thread I can't help but notice half of people here crack jokes about it' date=' the other half take offence to it. Personally I feel joking about such a subject is a perfectly valid response to such a story. There are several ways people can deal with horrible events and it strikes me humour is one of the best ones, I'm sure nobody actually approves or necessarily finds it funny in the act itself, its just simply trying to put a lighter perspective on a tragic scenario rather than simply loosing even more faith in the world we live in.

So yeah, I vote for allowing humour in such cases... Too early in my morning can't write as articulate a post as I would like, will try again later,

Discuss....[/quote']

Humour to cover tragedy. That's really too general a statement. Seriously, using humour at a tragedy like that is NOT funny in any sense of the word. Maybe for a personal tragedy, but this is is tasteless. What the hell's wrong with losing faith in the world we live in? It is in fact slipping away from any sort of moral structure so just accept that, okay? Making fun of armless children is NOT funny and the morals of some people here are awful.

Guest tv tanned
As long as you find it funny i should be allowed to show it perhaphs make a few others laugh

everyone else can fuck off because i am right

Judging by the 'banned' legend appearing beneath your username, I would suggest that you are in fact, not right.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Judging by the 'banned' legend appearing beneath your username' date=' I would suggest that you are in fact, not right.[/quote']

As they often say on here, "owned".

Humour to cover tragedy. That's really too general a statement. Seriously' date=' using humour at a tragedy like that is NOT funny in any sense of the word. Maybe for a personal tragedy, but this is is tasteless. What the hell's wrong with losing faith in the world we live in? It is in fact slipping away from any sort of moral structure so just accept that, okay? Making fun of armless children is NOT funny and the morals of some people here are awful.[/quote']

Bravo....some decent common sense at last.

I think an inability to deal ith tragedy through humour proves that the person reacting badly to the humour still has trouble dealing with the tragedy. For example, someone who claims to really hate jokes about 9/11 hasn't resolved all their feelings about 9/11 yet.

People should be careful though. There is a genuine diffrence between understanding the gravity of a situation but accepting and understanding it and people who go "OMG! LOL AIDS! Hurrrr!"

rather than locking any thread which which contains content deemed offensive by a vocal few, what about introducing an "ignore" feature like on other message boards?

by "ignore feature" i mean one of those systems that lets individual users pick and choose which user's posts they can or can not see

this way, each user could block out content they deem offensive at their own discretion

the only threads that would nesesscitate locking would be the ones that would get the admin into trouble

i'm sure the person/people(?) in charge here have considered this already but i've seen it used to great effect on other boards