aberdeen-music

The Best Band In Aberdeen...

Guest crime-is-for-dorks

I find that fucking hilarious coming from someone who classes himself as a promoter' date=' we promote our band, we give people links to MP3's, let people know where and when we're playing, and hand out a short bio about how we roughly sound and who we've played with, that's completely different from being a bunch of pretentious, arrogant twats. We made mistakes, but they were around 18 months ago, and we were naive but at least we're big enough to own up to our wrong-doings, we've all grown up, and to be honest, stopped giving a fuck about people on message boards and so forth, and started writing and performing for ourselves. There's a huge difference between claiming to be 'The best band in Aberdeen' or as a matter of fact, the best at anything, and saying 'Hey, we're playing here, then, with so and so' on a poster, fair enough use any tactic to promote, but at least have a little substance to back it up.

Besides, I remember reading shitloads of 'No Pints' promo, pretentious bollocks about your 'last ever' gig when you'd been around 5 minutes, acting like people owed you something. I guess this is the black pot calling the white kettle black.

Apologies, for the rant, but that's how I feel. I'm fed up getting shit for stuff that happened years ago, leave it be.[/quote']

I never said that self promotion is a bad thing. Bands should be trying to get people interested in them however possible. It just seemed a bit hypocritical you slating a band for hyping themselves. Loads of bands make bold statements (The Planeteers: The greatest rock n'roll eco warriors of the 21st century, King Liar & The Brutes: Europes final band etc). Maybe a lot of people do belive The Wildcards to be the best band in Aberdeen. I feel just because you don't like them doesn't mean that they are shit. I'm sure you don't know them enough to call them arrogant twats. However your post came over to me as jealous in a way that they are claiming to be Aberdeens best, when you think your band is better. Again, I can't really comment on that as I've never seen The Wildcards.

I never felt people owed The No Pints anything, I felt we owed people who'd seen us and anyone who showed us support because we played so many mediocre, half arsed performances. I was determined to finish with a set were we put everything into it and I wanted people to see it. And again you've contradicted yourselves. As clearly you felt people owed MMW something with that gig at Kef the other week because you had some woman from America coming over to see you.

I want to make it clear that I'm not slagging off My Minds Weapon here. You have ambition to go play other towns and get out of Aberdeen and that can only be a good thing. I think all bands should be doing the same. You should be encouraging them, not ripping them to pieces. This debate has gone on a hundred times now but a bit of constructive criticism would be nice instead of "pretentious, arrogant twats".

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incidentally' date=' how much lack of ambition does the statement "best band in Aberdeen" show? Who wants to be the best band in an overgrown fishing village in the middle of nowhere? The Best Band in the KNOWN UNIVERSE in what I'd bill Radio Lucifer as. Fuck Aberdeen.[/quote']

YEAH!

100% correct.

Can't remember any self-promotion concerning the no pints that wasn't a joke. Any bold statements about the band were meant to be taken with a pinch of salt cos they, more than anyone, new their own standards and limitations as a band.

On another note... Aberdeen is a very small place... you should try and promote your bands further a field. Scary as it may seem to the average Aberdonian but there is a whole world out there. Take note of what the Dangerfields have achieved as a band with limited resources... 100% entertainment in the western world.

Can't remember any self-promotion concerning the no pints that wasn't a joke. Any bold statements about the band were meant to be taken with a pinch of salt cos they' date=' more than anyone, new their own standards and limitations as a band.

On another note... Aberdeen is a very small place... you should try and promote your bands further a field. Scary as it may seem to the average Aberdonian but there is a whole world out there. Take note of what the Dangerfields have achieved as a band with limited resources... 100% entertainment in the western world.[/quote']

sont take this the worng way its by no means ment as an insult, but ..................

what have the dangerfields acheived apart from playing glasgow and surrounding cities?

dont get me wrong thats an acheivment but i wouldnt use them as an aberdeen succes role model. id use the needles

Guest stuartmaxwell

not meaning to be a dick or owt

dangerfields are legends on the underground circuit. they have tirelessly toured the uk, played with many big bands, get asked back every time, lots of fans etc

i dont know them that well but they have accomplished a fair bit

sont take this the worng way its by no means ment as an insult' date=' but ..................

what have the dangerfields acheived apart from playing glasgow and surrounding cities?

dont get me wrong thats an acheivment but i wouldnt use them as an aberdeen succes role model. id use the needles[/quote']

They've played everywhere in britain and europe with some of the finest bands around and are soon to tour the US. they've played over 500 gigs. But like mentioned, they arent from aberdeen.

• 2 weeks later...

Wildcards?

...is' date=' according to some shameless self-promotion, The Wildcards. So, tonight I decided to venture down and catch them at Drummonds, which I'm guessing was the whole aim of the promotion, and *shockhorror*, believe it or not, they weren't the best band in Aberdeen, in fact, they were dull and uninspiring. Predictable songs, nothing exciting, new or fresh, nothing to really keep the attention of a first time viewer with an interest in new talent, just a bunch of self-indulged, pretentious lads prancing about a stage, performing to some pissed up mates.

Ah well...[/quote']

They are about as wild a mormon church service, there has only ever been one decent band in Aberdeen. Long Live TOXIC EPHEX!

They were nice guys. That night in The Hayloft there were about twenty of us through from Keith, me and one of my mates were 17 and the bouncers wouldn't let us in. Word got back to Toxik Ephex and i think they told the bouncers they weren't going to play unless we got in. So to prevent a riot the bouncers backed down!! Excellent night! Still got my blood soaked Toxik Ephex t-shirt (has been washed and the blood is no longer there) caused by a mental moshpit going on at the front!!

Happy memories!! :gringo:

Incidentally' date=' how much lack of ambition does the statement "best band in Aberdeen" show? Who wants to be the best band in an overgrown fishing village in the middle of nowhere? The Best Band in the KNOWN UNIVERSE in what I'd bill Radio Lucifer as. Fuck Aberdeen.[/quote']

that makes me think Aberdeen is v cool

fuck the universe

do you go to local gigs often??

the drum solo was particularly shite. closely followed by the goofy singers "rockin out" along with the rubbish drums

this guys an asshole :down:

constantly moaning about whats shite, and not whats good, you need to learn to loosen up and just enjoy music for what it is!! :rockon: