aberdeen-music

The Best Band In Aberdeen...

Guest crime-is-for-dorks

Guest crime-is-for-dorks

...is, according to some shameless self-promotion, The Wildcards. So, tonight I decided to venture down and catch them at Drummonds, which I'm guessing was the whole aim of the promotion, and *shockhorror*, believe it or not, they weren't the best band in Aberdeen, in fact, they were dull and uninspiring. Predictable songs, nothing exciting, new or fresh, nothing to really keep the attention of a first time viewer with an interest in new talent, just a bunch of self-indulged, pretentious lads prancing about a stage, performing to some pissed up mates.

Ah well...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Zeenat Aman

I recall seeing them once and I just thought hmmmm, lots of shouting and "come on's!" but no actual songs or music that stood out at all!.. They certainly put a lot of energy in to their gigs, but it would maybe be a better idea to focus that towards the music instead. Depends what their intensions are I suppose.

I know two of them as well, oops, but basically they are 2nd rate Lady Mercedes in my opinion!

Guest Jake Wifebeater
just a bunch of self-indulged' date=' pretentious lads prancing about a stage, performing to some pissed up mates.[/quote']

You would be hard pushed to find a local band which this does not apply to.

...is' date=' according to some shameless self-promotion, The Wildcards. So, tonight I decided to venture down and catch them at Drummonds, which I'm guessing was the whole aim of the promotion, and *shockhorror*, believe it or not, they weren't the best band in Aberdeen, in fact, they were dull and uninspiring. Predictable songs, nothing exciting, new or fresh, nothing to really keep the attention of a first time viewer with an interest in new talent, just a bunch of self-indulged, pretentious lads prancing about a stage, performing to some pissed up mates.

Ah well...[/quote']

They are the musical equivalent of FHM.

...is' date=' according to some shameless self-promotion, The Wildcards. So, tonight I decided to venture down and catch them at Drummonds, which I'm guessing was the whole aim of the promotion, and *shockhorror*, believe it or not, they weren't the best band in Aberdeen, in fact, they were dull and uninspiring. Predictable songs, nothing exciting, new or fresh, nothing to really keep the attention of a first time viewer with an interest in new talent, just a bunch of self-indulged, pretentious lads prancing about a stage, performing to some pissed up mates.

Ah well...[/quote']

No offence meant but your hardly one to talk about shameless self promotion.

No offence meant but your hardly one to talk about shameless self promotion.

To be fair' date=' I don't think he was complaining about the self-promotion, more the lack of substance to back it up. Which is fair enough. I've seen them do a couple of songs or so, as I stumbled down the Drummonds steps to see what was going on. I'd agree there's nothing new there, but what they do, they do reasonably well. I won't be hurrying to see them again, but judging by the amount of times they seem to play, plenty people do. And the fact that I know they play a lot of gigs, shows they know how to get themselves noticed. I'll bet more Aberdonians know their name than can be said for most bands on these boards...

Having said that there is the matter of the haircuts. Dear God.

The best band in Aberdeen... isn't even a band. It's a single performer' date=' and her name is Claire Hamilton. She has MP3s on her site, and she's playing at the Tunnels on Sunday 27th.

As for the style vs. substance debate, that's never really going to be solved.

Best band in Aberdeen imo at the moment is Stayover, though it will soon be Baby Karma, but as you say its all objective.

Cheers

Stuart