aberdeen-music

New review!

Guest Zeenat Aman

Guest Zeenat Aman

http://foxydigitalis.com/foxyd/shortshome0216x.html

Philip Johnston Sundaram CD-R (Self-Released)

I am not really sure how official this 23 minutes long CD-R is because it says demos right next after its title. But no matter status, its beyond any doubt that Scottish Philip Johnston is a very talented musican, flawlessly blending melodic folk beauty and downcast pop with tuneful balladry. Throw in some jazzy reeds, Indian influences, electronic percussion and softly flowing folkedelia, and it goes without saying that this is a low-key release well worthy of a better destiny than being just another demo CD-R. The true highlight is unquestionably the sitar-infused title track, which is quietly transporting and transcendental in the same way as German Fit & Limo. "Sundaram" moves beautifully from spiritual energy and jazz-inspired emotion to downcast folk pop. What we need now is some enterprising label to pick it up and distribute it properly worldwide. 7/10 - MG

Guest Zeenat Aman
"from spiritual energy and jazz-inspired emotion to downcast folk pop"... Sounds fascinating' date=' you actually selling this?[/quote']

The 7 home demo tracks will be online to download for free in early March.

:music::woohoo:

Guest Zeenat Aman
Good news. I liked those files you had put up earlier...looking at your signature the idea of seeing them live <thumbs up>

Thanks, it's those tracks, along with a few new ones, that the review is for.

The practicalities of playing them live however may prove rather difficult. :down:

:cheers:

Guest Zeenat Aman
I still think you should sell copies of the demos CD for 5....I'd buy 3 at least! You could use the cash to record more new songs.

But I'm not going to harp on about it (much!).

Hm, until I have a well produced album which I feel stands up to any other albums out there, everything is going to be free. I dont feel right about charging people money for roughly recorded home demos.

:p

Guest Zeenat Aman
I admire the sentiment behind that decision' date=' but feel you're being too "muso" about the sound. The demos are great sounding (hence all the positive reviews)!

However I respect your anti-commercial stance, as it's your music, and your decision. More power to your elbow (and any other useful bits).[/quote']

It's not really the sound, but that is a factor, it's more that some of the music is incomplete/a work in progress.

:)

• 3 months later...
Guest Zeenat Aman
Well' date=' I have heard several of your songs and was very impressed. Good to see your getting reviews too. Good on ya![/quote']

Thank you Hog, see you Sunday at the Tunnels!

:cheers: