aberdeen-music

Last night in Glasgow.... (Caution - Rant)

PaulDW

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not really backing down either... But the focus of the rant was just at the night in general, and at the venue/manager, and not the bands themselves. Or at elast that shouldnt have been the intention. There wasn't much in the way of white lies in my first post, but there was plenty of exaggeration, i'll admit, but It was nearly a week ago. I know many bands would have felt the same as ourselves... Certianly in the first instance.

Im done for this one though, its done n dusted, and we will chalk it up to experience... Its not healthy to push things like this!

I am not really backing down either... But the focus of the rant was just at the night in general' date=' and at the venue/manager, and not the bands themselves. Or at elast that shouldnt have been the intention. There wasn't much in the way of white lies in my first post, but there was plenty of exaggeration, i'll admit, but It was nearly a week ago. I know many bands would have felt the same as ourselves... Certianly in the first instance.

Im done for this one though, its done n dusted, and we will chalk it up to experience... Its not healthy to push things like this![/quote']

No offense was intended - I should've just said "I think he's talking to you"...

Cleartone had the use of the same equipment as Boss Hogg with the exception of Forgotten Sons guitarist's amplifier which the Boss Hogg frontman used as he is a close personal friend of the FS gutarist and play in another band together.

And...why were Cleartone not allowed to use the amplifier?

Hmm?

I'm of the opinion that as long as the recipient is not a dangerous psycho who looks like they will write off your equipment given half a chance, then inter-band lending and loaning should be done with willingness and a chariddable heart...

AKM

And...why were Cleartone not allowed to use the amplifier?

Hmm?

I'm of the opinion that as long as the recipient is not a dangerous psycho who looks like they will write off your equipment given half a chance' date=' then inter-band lending and loaning should be done with willingness and a chariddable heart...

AKM[/quote']

Most band people are skint and they have to save long and hard for their gear. If the amp were to pick that moment to go pop, through no fault of anyone, then it would cause a very awkward and uncomfortable situation. This is one of the reasons that venues should consider making house amps available. If nothing else house gear can help to save a gig when something breaks!

total weak ass' date=' lay down and get your ass fucked response.do you often tell fibs? little white ones?[/quote']

He's just trying to be diplomatic and make peace. If everyone else had had that attitude then the whole problem wouldn't have occurred in the first instance.

Too many times I witnessed the selfishness of one musician or band fuck up the gig for everyone else. Once a support band called up and told me that they'd spoken to all the other bands and everyone had agreed to use their drumkit. They arrived and set this up early in the afternoon. It wasn't exactly a standard 5 piece arrangement.

When the other bands arrived it became apparent that this was news to them, especially the punk band that only wanted a more primitive drum arrangement... Then of course the kit owner threw a wobbly when the other bands wanted to move stuff around...

That's one of the reasons that we purchased a house kit and made it the default answer. At least everyone can and is permitted to play it!

Then there was the band that showed up to a busy Sunday jam session and the drummer spent the best part of 25 minutes screwing around with the kit while eveyone else waitied. Then they played (well pissed around is more accurate) for one tune and fucked off! If everyone did that then we'd maybe get through 5 numbers in the entire evening. That's why we have the "no screwin' with the kit at Sunday jams rule".

Having said that, catch me in the wrong mood and I'm the biggest wanker of the lot LOL. We all have off days! Apart from Mark who's always charming!

He's just trying to be diplomatic and make peace. If everyone else had had that attitude then the whole problem wouldn't have occurred in the first instance.

if everyone else had that attitude the world would be a better place and we would be safe to skip gaily in the streets rather than remain trapped indoors, with only a pc and aberdeen music for sanctuary.

agree with the rest of what you said though.

also, i have learn you can make up any amount of 'extras' to a story and if you get caught simply say 'its a rant'.god bless the internet.

Aye Flash.. you hit the nail on the head there...

Steve man, I am not one of those folk you are describing... In fact, I normally keep my opinions to myself in general, specially on these forums.. But, It is not a crime to express them really. I didn't just turn round and say it was a rant... I put it in the title even before I started writing! After Id written it, I just forgot about it, and didnt reply back, but I thought that Journeyman deserved a respisne, and I also emailed the bands involved directly.

Tbh, I don't want to fall out with bands, I don't enjoy it, and it gets nobody anywhere, especially not over something as petty as this, so I responded honestly, and rightly...

Guest stuartmaxwell

Too many times I witnessed the selfishness of one musician or band fuck up the gig for everyone else. Once a support band called up and told me that they'd spoken to all the other bands and everyone had agreed to use their drumkit. They arrived and set this up early in the afternoon. It wasn't exactly a standard 5 piece arrangement.

When the other bands arrived it became apparent that this was news to them' date=' especially the punk band that only wanted a more primitive drum arrangement... Then of course the kit owner threw a wobbly when the other bands wanted to move stuff around...

That's one of the reasons that we purchased a house kit and made it the default answer. At least everyone can and is permitted to play it!

Then there was the band that showed up to a busy Sunday jam session and the drummer spent the best part of 25 minutes screwing around with the kit while eveyone else waitied. Then they played (well pissed around is more accurate) for one tune and fucked off! If everyone did that then we'd maybe get through 5 numbers in the entire evening. That's why we have the "no screwin' with the kit at Sunday jams rule".

Having said that, catch me in the wrong mood and I'm the biggest wanker of the lot LOL. We all have off days! Apart from Mark who's always charming![/quote']

im sure he was talking about REAP there

big dumbkit

im sure he was talking about REAP there

big dumbkit

No that story was not in reference to REAP. Although we did have a similar albeit benign experience that did involve REAP. In that instance the REAP drummer was helpful and accomodating to the other bands AND REAP were the headline act.

BUT would I ever again get up at 9am on Sat morning after 5 hours sleep to spend 4 hours with REAP setting up their kit, attaching mics, and soundchecking? Errrm no probably not. But they got me to agree to it when I ws drunk and vulnerable.

It was a good gig though and everyone went home happy. That's the main thing.

The manager said "dont badmouth the venue"' date=' I think you should bad mouth the venue![/quote']

Thats the best thing anyone has said in this thread!!!!

The venue most certainly fucked up big!

I agree with paul, that fighting with bands really isn't cool. I don't blame the other bands at all for what happened. In fact, the other support act even came up and shook my hand after we had played (despite it being the worst gig i've played with cleartone so far). I also enjoyed their set a lot. Forgotten Sons were also amazing, though i really don't like Marillion. hehe!

Glad to see we can all just sit down and make friends again :up:

Listen....ok some promoter dude has fucked up, found out a band he has booked is bringing its own support and forgot to get back to the non local band he had booked already....its a bit of a shame for the band concerned but of no importance whatsoever to the promoter, you wouldnt have made him any money in the first place so if you never go back its no skin off his nose. At this stage in any bands career its best to take it on the chin, put it down to experience and soldier on, but to come on a public message board and bad mouth everyone concerned especially when it turns out to be a pack of shit and lies is a bad idea because it gets back to people and you get a bad reputation.

If your bottom of the bill.... turn up on time, make the best of the the situation, play to the best of your ability, say thank you to everyone concerned including the bar staff and leave on good terms. Oh and if you break a string and dont have a spare guitar, who's fault is that...i'll tell you, not the other bands thats for shure.

I know only too well how frustrating it can be to be treated like you dont exist...its not nice but happens to every band at some time, but its the music business, you have to learn man management, accounting, customer care, logistics, health and safety, marketing and sales to make a sucess of any band....

Good luck

The stuff I wrote in my first post all happened, I don't think there's much in the way of lies in it, however, the way we reacted to what happened was not the best in ways and we accept that. Also, some of the problems were unavoidable, and so on.

I appreciate the forgotten sons reply, because it gives me a better understanding of some of the problems, that on the night, I really didn't have. I just jumped to conclusions on a lot of the things. In the end though, we brought 25 odd folk to that venue which was about a third of the audience... So it wasn't like we were turning up with nobody.... And those folk were very much buying drink... It was also a free entry gig...

The string was a string, and it was my fault. But then again, I had changed those strings that morning so I guess I was just too confident that it would be alright! Hehe... That'll teach me.

You are most correct Graeme, and I would say that that outburst was uncharacteristic of myself, and CT, but what's done is done now, and I have apologised to those involved, and thats that.

We will just chalk it up to experience, and not jump the gun like this.

Once a band moves up to the 'next' level' date=' its unusual not to have a contract, you start to book gigs through a booking agent and the contract is there to protect both parties.

Its a very professional way of working things, and if there is a problem then the agent is usually the ones to persue things.

You should also have someone in your crew who isnt scared to hold the contract under the nose of the promoter and point out that the contract states you get 100 whether you fill the gig or not....and thats in cash mush, you then follow him round the venue untill he actually hands you the money....and if he tries the "oh sorry, its all in small change" trick then you remain in the gig untill you have counted it all (including a couple of mis-counts) I bet he finds some 20 notes after about ten minutes of hastle from the bar staff who all want home.....yes I've bin there and done that.

Or the time we turned up to play a gig at Ayr pavilion (sadly now burned down) to be told by the caretaker that the gig was cancelled, we had the promoters address on the contract with a 600 guarantee'd fee...so we paid him a visit and after a little persuasion he made out a cheque to cash, I got one of the guys to run along to his bank to cash it while I stood outside his glass front door to make sure he didnt call the bank to cancel it.... :nono:

I should write a book... :D[/quote']

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, we had a similar thing when we played in Inverness at the start of the month. We travelled to Inverness on the knowledge that we were playing in a known venue and were to be paid a minimum of 150. The venue was no more than a glorified youth club with about 25 kids running around stupid. The night only brought in about 180 and the guy from the band (The Funky Munks) tried to cop out of the agreement at the realisation that his night was a complete failure! Needless to say our manager kicked hiss ass and we got our money. DONT GO TO INVERNESS! :nono: The Munks have an awesome guitarist :band: but then again he was drunk, stoned etc when he was playing. Kudos to him! I feel for Cleartone, big kick in the balls like. You deserve better.

Alex

. DONT GO TO INVERNESS! :nono: Alex

That is a stupid thing to badmouth an entire town just because of one bad experience playing there. Small Enclosed have played there about 7/8 times now' date=' and the first 2 times went pretty badly - poor crowd attendance, neds etc etc. But you learn from that. since then we've played about 4 different venues and can honestly say they have been some of the best attended and most enjoyable gigs we've ever done.

The main idea behind playing a town that your not recognised in, is that each time you play there, more people should come compared to the last time. Thanks to these 25 or so people that come, they could tell their mates about your band, and then you might have 50 at the next gig, and so on and so on. Hence why hard working bands like JetPlane Landing play some of the smallest towns in the UK continually, and do well for themselves.

Here's the venues we've played in Inverness

[b']Market bar- only just behind Drakes as the most enjoyable and friendly venue in the UK.

Bar Q- guaranteed high attendance at the weekend due to it being free entry

Mad Hatters- see above

Spectrum Center- Quite interesting layout, bit like those channel4 late night things they used to show where the crowd were sitting down. BYOB too...

Downtown USA- pretty big, mostly teenage audience, but get on the right bill and you'll enjoy it.

Blue Bar/Bar 45- Bit badly run, not a great attendance, a few neds. Not really recommended

Raigmore Hotel - Generally where the touring bands play. Quite awkward as its out of town, but if you can get onto a support slot for a UK touring band it'll be worthwhile.

Ross Morrison may be able to elaborate further on the venues in and around inverness