aberdeen-music

Last night in Glasgow.... (Caution - Rant)

PaulDW

Cleartone were in Glasgow last night for a gig at Rockers... and boy were we fucked over... Sorry for the essay like nature of this post, but I need to rant!

We got there on time for 6pm soundchecks in the snow, the door was locked. The manager didnt turn up for another hour. Then two other bands turned up, and it was only meat to be a two band night. Turns out the main band of the night were under the impression they were meant to bring their own support, so they did. Then proceeded to try and make it out like we had the wrong day or soemthing, even though our posters were on the wall.

Then the manager comes out, and when the question is posed to him about us... his response 'Oh the guys are on a wee tour from Aberdeen, leave it to me, we'll stick them on for a little while at the beginning to keep them happy'. He didnt even acknowledge our presence, even though, he was the one who double booked us and got us down from Aberdeen.

Then, we were told that we couldnt use the other bands shared equipment, so we had to set up and dismantle all the house gear ourselves, in a brand new venue we knew nothing about. We even had to set up a second kit in the corner of the stage in front of two of the amps, and werent allowed any drum mics for the PA. then the pother twpo bands were given precedence over us, in soundchecks. Half an hour each... We were allowed nothing. And again the quote was 'if you guys soundcheck, you will only get 10mins'

Then the manager came across saying 'you guys should start soon, and dont even think about bad mouthing the venue or the bands for all this'

So we ended up only getting 3 songs... And just before the third, one of my strings broke. Next to me was a rack of around 10 house/band guitars. I asked if i could borrow one just for this last song... Did one poerson move an inch? Not an inch...

And how did the manager finish the night...

'So, did you guys enjoy yourself tonight?'

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We played this place a couple of times last eyar, an absoloutely loved it... hence the reaosn why we were quick to go back...

But, we never expected all that, we ended up just laughing about it cause otherwise you'd just break down and cry, wouldn't you? We just got on with it, tried to do our thing the best we could in the circumstances, then left.

Sadly this has ben going on for years.

Aye I can imagine... You would know im pretty sure. Its just not cool, we didn't try and stroll into anything, we sent a demo (Again...) made phonecalls, and got the gig, we were just looking foward to gigging outta town again.. But I think its good to experience this, just so you know what you can expect... heh!

I got the full run down on MSN from Paul and I just couldn't believe you got treated like that. Topped of nicely with the cheeky line at the end asking if you enjoyed yourselves. Credit to you for making an effort...I hope I never have to deal with a venue like that...

Cleartone were in Glasgow last night for a gig at Rockers... and boy were we fucked over... Sorry for the essay like nature of this post' date=' but I need to rant!

'So, did you guys enjoy yourself tonight?'[/quote']

Would I have been right in saying that you guys ended up playing with the rather superb Forgotten Sons then ?

Did you see them play, an amazing band with a very good vocalist.

The Forgotten Sons boys are all mates and Emma supported them before x-mas at the Cathouse, I'd be surprised if you had any trouble with them as people as they're all top guys, sounds like the venue's a bit crap tho.

Cheers

Stuart

Forgotten Sons were a good band... but they did not treat us very well. They treated us like we were the spare parts to their gig, and they were also one of the culprits for not letting us use any of the gear, but they let their own support use it... Although it was only one or two of them that caused us problems which caused problems. The vocalist was great, a very tight tribute band I have to say.

But both ourselves and the other support that was booked had travelled down from up north for that gig, even that band got a full soundcheck etc etc... Ans a 45 minute set. We got a 3 song set... Even if he had just given us a call or something to inform us... it would have helped...

His name? James something, it'll come back to me, he is the manager at Rockers, always behond the bar.

Rob, we played there last year and absoloutely loved it... Hence the reason why this took us somewhat by surprise...

I really hate when a promoter fucks you about knowing full well that because there is no contract he has you well and truly over a barrel.

That's why I was looking into the possibility of doing contracts for every band, simply for their peace of mind - it adds a nice little professional touch while ensuring they're not going to get fucked over - not that we would fuck anyone over, but people coming from further afield would appreciate the peace of mind, i think..

I wasn't thinking from that point of view, but rather a guarentee on our part of treating them well - so there wouldn't be such bollocks like "the band will play for half an hour", but rather things like "a full soundcheck will be provided if requested" - and there wouldn't be any "signing"..

think of it like a customer service guarentee that supermarkets often have plastered everywhere :)

Join the musicians union. It'll cost you the minimum if you ain't fully pro...about 56 a year.

You will get standard contracts that the MU will pursue on your behalf if you get fucked and it will cost you zilch. You will also get 3 million in public liability that you now should not be playing without anyway.