aberdeen-music

Emma Forman, Claire Hamilton and friends @ The Tunnels, 27/02/05. 8pm.

Sky

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Zeenat Aman
If I didnt have faith in Emma's ability I wouldnt be so chuffed that I play guitar for her. Although' date=' music is not a competition, as Devin Townsend once sang "Its just entertainment folks". I just simply look forward to an enjoyable evening :rockon:[/quote']

3217yaadon1.jpg

mmmm Zeenat!!! :love:

Where were we?

Woah, music can be so much more than entertainment!!!

I dont think anyones questioning Emma's abilities at all. :)

Yikes, this tangent needs nipped in the bud heh... everyone who's going/involved is looking forward to the gig, woop!

:D

Yikes' date=' this tangent needs nipped in the bud heh... everyone who's going/involved is looking forward to the gig, woop![/quote']

I'm pleasantly surprised that so many people have shown interest, it's our first gig at the Tunnels and if this is a success, I dare say there will be many more nights :)

This whole "who's gonna steal the show?" debate could rage endlessly, but it has no solution. Quality of music is an entirely subjective concept: in music, one man's trash is most definitely another man's treasure. As an example, I love Sunn O))) and NON, but my flatmates think they're "just fucking noise"but this percieved lack of quality on their parts renders them no less talented from my viewpoint.

As it stands, I consider Claire to be the best singer/songwriter in Aberdeen, andhaving listened to all of Emma's tracks available on Karmadownload.com, which I enjoyed very muchI still consider Claire to hold that accolade. But, as I said, this is entirely subjective, and will remain so because it's impossible to gain an "objective" viewpoint on a subject so totally dependent on opinion. Music is only considered objectively brilliant by consensus: Mozart's symphonies may be as unenjoyable to some as the noise-music of Earth, and his status as a musical genius is only secured because a consensus stating thus is held by a large majority.

As for Claire's demo, it was recorded some years ago, and the reverb on the vocals is an issue that I've raised with her on occasion. It transpires that it wasn't her ideathe reverb was added by the guy who recorded and mastered the songs, and, at the time, Claire was too inexperienced to realise that it wasn't needed. For proof of her considerable vocal talents, she's best seen live.

As it stands' date=' I consider Claire to be the best singer/songwriter in Aberdeen, andhaving listened to all of Emma's tracks available on Karmadownload.com, which I enjoyed very muchI still consider Claire to hold that accolade. [/quote']

Nah, that's obviously Jo ;)

I'll let you off cos she's not based here fulltime anymore ;)

See now I'm causing trouble ;)

As for the comment about reverb that was definitely much more of a comment about the recordings than Claire's talent which is pretty obvious.I look forward to hearing her live, it seems like with the various bands etc theres going to be lots of different type of music for a great night, well done to GFN for choosing a diverse line up with a lot to please everyone :)

Cheers

Stuart

oh this is gona be a good night now' date=' hand bags at dawn or rather at the tunnels..... :rockon:[/quote']

handbags ?? do i get to dress up in high heels too :p i could enjoy this evening, its what i've been growing my hair for :p

it should be a fun night some great performers performing :) i cant wait, i think everyone will more than hold their own and i hope everyone that comes will get a pleasant surprise from someone they didn't come primarily to see. :)

Cheers

Stuart

it should be a fun night some great performers performing :) i cant wait' date=' i think everyone will more than hold their own and i hope everyone that comes will get a pleasant surprise from someone they didn't come primarily to see. :) [/quote']

Exactly. The two acts I'm familiar withClaire and Emmaare both very talented, and I predict a good night will be had by all.

Guest RockMonkey

Seems a bit odd to worry about concensus when you're dealing with such a subjective matter. For example: Cliff Richard is the top selling singles artist of the past 50 years. That doesn't make him good. Just stinking rich. Fiend.

People should stop panicking about who's the best blah blah blah. How many people do you know who only own one artist's records and nothing else? There is room for everyone. It's about creating and enjoying at the end of the day.

Seems a bit odd to worry about concensus when you're dealing with such a subjective matter. For example: Cliff Richard is the top selling singles artist of the past 50 years. That doesn't make him good. Just stinking rich. Fiend.

People should stop panicking about who's the best blah blah blah. How many people do you know who only own one artist's records and nothing else? There is room for everyone. It's about creating and enjoying at the end of the day.

You seem to have misunderstood my post: I wasn't arguing that consensus was in any way important' date=' rather that certain musicians/composers/songwriters are universally held up as "geniuses" because a consensus exists. Thus, consensus is an attempt to impose an absolute, objective judgement on a field of human endeavour that is entirely subjective. Whether the artist in question deserves said reputation, however, is entirely subjective from the viewpoint of any given individual. As I stated before, one man's trash is another man's treasure. This pattern is repeated throughout human society: fashion ("that shirt is so uncool"), morality, law, sexuality.

As for the question of how many people own only one artist's records, if you look at it from a slightly different angle, you get a rather worrying answerhow many people own only one [i']style of music? The answer to that question is, rather worryingly, a very high percentage. The question is fundamentally the same, having only a very slight shift in emphasis away from a single artist and towards an artist's style/genre.

But you're absolutely right at the end of your post: the gig is about coming along, letting people entertain you with their creativity and enjoying yourself.

As for the question of how many people own only one artist's records' date=' if you look at it from a slightly different angle, you get a rather worrying answerhow many people own only one [i']style of music? The answer to that question is, rather worryingly, a very high percentage. The question is fundamentally the same, having only a very slight shift in emphasis away from a single artist and towards an artist's style/genre.

why is this so worrying? People will listen to what they enjoy, so what if they happen to only enjoy one style of music. i dont get what the problem is people seem to have with this, not everyone is going to listen to every single style of music or even give some a chance but that is they way it is.

hey

thanks for all your comments. i'm very much looking forward to sunday.

i think it's fairly worrying that a large percentage of people will only listen to a specific genre of music. specifically in the case of 13, 14 year olds who will only listen to emo/punk etc, because it's a very eiltist attitude to have. There is so much fantastic music out there. The sound engineer and I have become friends. But the friendship started badly because i walked into the room and said, "What the hell is this crap music, turn it off!" It turned out to be a very talented band. My personal taste is very different from his, but conversations with him have reinforced what i think about music. In my opinion, music is an artform, and you get; for example; pop art and visual art, just like you get pop music and indie music. I think open mindedness (in music) is the key its enjoyment! Do you agree milner?

I was in a spoof punk outfit when i was 16 (Paralysis) and i loved every minute because it was so much fun. But I grew up on the musical influences of my parents and branched out from there. (to cut a long story short see my biography page)

I was fortunate enough to catch Emma's solo stuff when i went to see Simon Gall band at Drummonds and I am thoroughy looking forward to hearing her perform again.

Claire

. As i was there with u in that spoof punk band and yeah it was fun as hell, shame what happened in the end, i still say we play that renunion gig once......

yeah id agree with up to a point. Yes opend mindness is obvioulsy good i for one have that but i dont have a problem with people who will only listen to metal or emo or whatever. I dont see it as a problem either rather the loss of the person who wont open their mind.

yeah id agree with up to a point. Yes opend mindness is obvioulsy good i for one have that but i dont have a problem with people who will only listen to metal or emo or whatever. I dont see it as a problem either rather the loss of the person who wont open their mind.

But surely if it's the "loss of a person"' date=' that would be something worrying? I don't advocate that everyone subscribe to a grab-bag of styles ideal when it comes to music, but I've had innumerable discussions with people along the lines of,

[indent']"You should listen to this band. They're fantastic."

"Are they [insert genre here]?"

"No..."

"Well then they can't be good/I won't like them/They must be shit then."

I consider it to be a very, very sad state of affairs when someone instantly dismisses a band/artist because they don't fit into that person's genre-defined idea of good music. It's the equivalent of stating you couldn't possibly like a cake because it hasn't got pink icing on top, or that you would hate a certain food because it wasn't Italian.

Having said that, I don't have a problem with people who take that stance, it just saddens me somewhat. I used to do much the same myself when I was sixteen, and I consider it part of the maturation process to be more open to differing ideas and the relative merits of thembe it in music, philosophy, politics or artwithout necessarily liking everything.

Regardless of taste in music, everyone should come along to this gig; I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised by the talent on show, and should find something to suit their tastes.

But surely if it's the "loss of a person"' date=' that would be something worrying? I don't advocate that everyone subscribe to a grab-bag of styles ideal when it comes to music, but I've had innumerable discussions with people along the lines of,

[indent']"You should listen to this band. They're fantastic."

"Are they [insert genre here]?"

"No..."

"Well then they can't be good/I won't like them/They must be shit then."

I consider it to be a very, very sad state of affairs when someone instantly dismisses a band/artist because they don't fit into that person's genre-defined idea of good music. It's the equivalent of stating you couldn't possibly like a cake because it hasn't got pink icing on top, or that you would hate a certain food because it wasn't Italian.

Having said that, I don't have a problem with people who take that stance, it just saddens me somewhat. I used to do much the same myself when I was sixteen, and I consider it part of the maturation process to be more open to differing ideas and the relative merits of thembe it in music, philosophy, politics or artwithout necessarily liking everything.

Regardless of taste in music, everyone should come along to this gig; I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised by the talent on show, and should find something to suit their tastes.

Indeed man, from playing in a metal band and an extreme band I think its been good to play with Emma. To be diverse and open to music can sometimes be rewarding.

Even Jake Spike wants to see Emma and myself play