aberdeen-music

The Rakes

lava p.

Who are the Rakes? And why is it that every band I hear of these days starts with "the" and ends with "s"? A few examples being The Shins, The Doves, The Others and now The Rakes. I'm sorry but these people need to get an individual sounding name. Anyway, where can I find sample material from these bands so that I can step up my criticisms?

The Beatles' date=' The Rolling Stones, The Crickets, The Shadows, The Hollies, The New Christy Minstrels, The Stooges, The Ramones...it's not exactly a recent phenomenom.

Besides, there's no "The" in Doves.

The NME gave away a free CD around Xmas time with singles by The Rakes and The Others (among others...arf!) and they've both had material commercially available for months.

The Others are complete wankers and their songs are shit, by the way. The Rakes are pretty rough around the edges. Neither band would have a career if it weren't for Pete Doherty.

The Shins are great if you like indie-poppy American acousticness. They have an obvious affinity for Love, and sound quite similar to The Bees. They have two albums out, both of which are available in One Up. And I'm sure you've heard Doves before now...[/quote']

American-acousticness... I've had too much of that lately, but I loved the Bees so I'll give them a shot. Yes I have heard the Doves, and I didn't think very much about them.

But okay, the name criticism is quite weak but, I mean, don't they realise how tedious it is to have the same old bland-sounding name? "The ____s" just makes it sound like they're trying to be hip or something. I'm just fed up with unoriginal names that's all. I was quite pleased with the name Franz Ferdinand but meh. I'm a stooge

Was it the Others who attacked the crowd or am I completely wrong?

Completely wrong i'm afraid!

They were utter shits to certain people that I know

I'm sorry to hear of that. They've been nothing but gentlemen to me, even to the point of putting me up in their hotel room when I had nowhere to stay the time I saw them in October.

They're coming back in April I believe, can't wait!