aberdeen-music

New Will Oldham produced Alasdair Roberts album

Guest Zeenat Aman

Guest Zeenat Aman

Drag City news:

One of the best parts of the last five years for us here at Drag City has been the continued work of former Appendix Out frontman Alasdair Roberts. His last few records have topped themselves, one after another and hes done it again! No Earthly Man is a record collecting some of Alasdairs favorite death ballads but its really so much more than that! Ali's poured his own heart and soul into the stories of other peoples untimely demise and come out with a deep album that doesnt at all sound anachronistic, despite its traditional trappings. Produced by Will Oldham, coming in March.

http://www.dragcity.com/press/paroberts.html

Hmm, I may or may not be on this album... here's hoping!

:)

Guest Zeenat Aman
I'm going to be a Sundaram stalker!!!!

(However I'll let someone else do the plaster-casting :nono: )

...I'm away to phone Cynthia in Chicago!!!

ps: It has to be sundaramusic because there's loads companies called Sundaram... best to be safe!

Guest Zeenat Aman
i can't believe that:

a. i missed A.R. at drakes in 2003' date=' because of a lady

b. phil met will oldham etc

get bent, phil![/quote']

At the time I hadn't really heard his music(and still haven't), to me he was just a friendly musician with a beard who, for a couple of seconds, thought that my head was missing whilst siting outside round a fire drinking whiskey!

:)

Guest Zeenat Aman
Farewell Sorrow is superb. So this is good news indeed.

And yes he needs to come back up here again for a gig.

He did mention he'd like to play the lemon tree again, but looking at the upcoming tour dates it doesn't look like he will be.

He did mention he'd like to play the lemon tree again' date=' but looking at the upcoming tour dates it doesn't look like he will be.[/quote']

I dunno what was funnier at the last lemon tree gig. All the hardcore folkies walking out after a few songs, or the look of terror on Alisdair's face when Dave went fanboy on him after the gig.

Guest Zeenat Aman
I dunno what was funnier at the last lemon tree gig. All the hardcore folkies walking out after a few songs' date=' or the look of terror on Alisdair's face when Dave went fanboy on him after the gig.[/quote']

People walked out? Nice!!!

I've only seen him live once, at Dr Drakes. Hearing him sing on his own round a fire was definitely something special though...

the fragile voice, the trees and the crackle all made up for an amazing sound, it was recorded too so maybe it will be on this new album!

I dunno what was funnier at the last lemon tree gig. All the hardcore folkies walking out after a few songs' date=' or the look of terror on Alisdair's face when Dave went fanboy on him after the gig.[/quote']

I assumed the folk who walked out were hardcore fans of crap singer/songwriter stuff......to me his songs sound LIKE hard-core folk (of the Jeannie Robertson/Copper Family/Sam Larner type). They bridge the divide between very old and very new in excellent fashion.

I assumed the folk who walked out were hardcore fans of crap singer/songwriter stuff......to me his songs sound LIKE hard-core folk (of the Jeannie Robertson/Copper Family/Sam Larner type). They bridge the divide between very old and very new in excellent fashion.

nah the folk that walked out chattering were oiks who just wanted some uptempo

folk/dancy stuff. I even had to do my usual & sshhhhh them behind the stage

"ignorant twats".........

• 1 month later...
Guest Zeenat Aman

Well, i'm on one track, Molly Bawn, but it's so insignificant that it's as well not being there... I'm rather dissapointed as they didn't use a lead line that doubled the dulcimer playing. Ah well!

:(

Guest stuartmaxwell

wonderful.

he played an album launch on sunday, i was djing elsewhere though

apparently the new album is a corker

as i have said before, farewell sorrow is sheer beauty, what a guy!