aberdeen-music

Best Gig Entrance

psydoll

The Biffy thread got me thinking about other Music Hall gigs I've attended and in particular the very first gig I ever attended anywhere which was Skunk Anansie.

The thing I always remember about the gig was the very start - all the lights were out and the only thing you could see as 'Selling Jesus' started with ominous feedback (I think that's what they started with...) was Skin's eyes glowing from on top of the drumkit and as the song kicked in the lights came on as she jumped off of the drums.

I always remember Guy McKnight staring the crowd down before Eighties Matchbox kicked off at the Caird Hall in Dundee as well when they were supporting Placebo. Ace indeed.

Excellent start to the gig that sent shivers up me spine I can tell you :D

Anybody else got any memorable entrances from bands to share?

Guest stuartmaxwell

sidca supporting macrocosmica

blastcap stottered onto stage, looked around like a lost kid, decided to lie down and roll a fag and laugh at the band while the band were playing

it was timeless

Ringo's High at Liverpool Uni in 1994. The venue had these posh metal shutters that rolled up when they were needed, revealing the stage - very clever - and they were used to full effect on this club night. WE were all dancing around oblivious when the shutters came up - the band had already started playing - to reveal the oddest, most bewitching menagerie of freaks I've ever seen. The lead singer was a space pixie in a white afghan coat, and stood next to him was a seven foot middle-aged bass player dressed as a city gent, bowler hat and all. The keyboard player was the oldest man in the world and had long white hair and a white beard. All about the stage were those strange charity things that used to be outside shops in the seventies, like the little boy with the crutch and a jolly fisherman, but all motorized, so they bobbed about to the music. They sang this woozy psychedelic anthem that went "We're so weird, so there"... It was like everyone's drinks had been spiked! Wondrous - they should have been huge!

"Goodevening Reading, we are Rage Against The Machine from Los Angeles California."

And then Know Your Enemy........ As see on the Reading 96 footage on the ST DVD.

Then the same when they were the main support for KISS in Findsbury park 4th July 97.

Also

"Columbia Recording Artists are proud to present..................Bob Dylan!"

I love announcments.

Apparently once upon a time The 44s were piped onto stage and then the piper started playing the back to the future theme. Then the horn section joined in and the whole band kicked in and rocked the place. (this was in glasgow mind you!)

I`m off to my bed again now.

Best entrance I saw was Michael Jackson.....

The whole stage was dark.....then the lights came on...and suddenly he was lauched into the air from beneath the stage.....he then landed and started the concert.....was utterly amazing....for all the child abuse charges, the man has great stage presence.

deftones at the barrowlands. i stand and watch the support act, they finish, lights go up...i'm already peeing myself with excitement...i'm soooo close to the stage and praying they open with 'be quiet and drive'....they lights go down and there's a wail of feedback from stephens guitar and i just KNOW they're opening with it...lights go up and intro riff....band/crowd/my tear filled eyes explode with joy.

melvins in amsterdam - 10 minute feedback solo from bassplayer, drummer then joins in playing, then sideshow bob walks onstage, and they begin. my head hurt.

bright eyes in manchester could have been nice - the harpist played the intro to a song, then everyone walked onstage, but a guitar broke. cue that infernal harp intro to repeat over and over until a replacement guitar was made ready...rubbish

The thing I always remember about the gig was the very start - all the lights were out and the only thing you could see as 'Selling Jesus' started with ominous feedback (I think that's what they started with...) was Skin's eyes glowing from on top of the drumkit and as the song kicked in the lights came on as she jumped off of the drums.

I was at that gig' date=' and it was damn good. Didn't she, er, felate a theremin too?

Personally, I'd have to go for:

[url']http://www.zen10010.zen.co.uk/video/SG5-SonicShake-med.wmv

I was at that gig' date=' and it was damn good. Didn't she, er, felate a theremin too?

Personally, I'd have to go for:

[url']http://www.zen10010.zen.co.uk/video/SG5-SonicShake-med.wmv

Yes, she did perform said lewd act.

Aye 'tis a quality entrance.

And........... I must also mention the start of any Karloff gig. The 'intro' music followed by the horror hide and seek of faither fiends' fire exit/ male lavvy hijacking!

Eels at Carling Academy 02. band walk on stage, minus E, start playing the riff for All In A Days Work. Once everyone is wondering where the heck E is, a roadie walks up to the mic where you'd think he would be, shines a spotlight to each corner of the venue, back and forth...then it settles over at the bar at the side, where E is standing on top of the bar, wailing into his harmonica. he then proceeds to walk through the crowd and clambers onto the stage...

ACE :cheers:

Err, actually Korn on the Life is Peachy tour - had a huge sheet draped across the stage, all kinda dolls and stuff casting shadows everywhere, the cracking intro riff, band shadows freaking out and BOOM! sheet drops, lights on full, band EXPLODE and the Barras goes nuts. Awesome. I was drunk though.

deftones at the barrowlands. i stand and watch the support act' date=' they finish, lights go up...i'm already peeing myself with excitement...i'm soooo close to the stage and praying they open with 'be quiet and drive'....they lights go down and there's a wail of feedback from stephens guitar and i just KNOW they're opening with it...lights go up and intro riff....band/crowd/my tear filled eyes explode with joy.[/quote']

*jealous*

Eels at Carling Academy 02. band walk on stage' date=' minus E, start playing the riff for All In A Days Work. Once everyone is wondering where the heck E is, a roadie walks up to the mic where you'd think he would be, shines a spotlight to each corner of the venue, back and forth...then it settles over at the bar at the side, where E is standing on top of the bar, wailing into his harmonica. he then proceeds to walk through the crowd and clambers onto the stage...

ACE :cheers:[/quote']

I was wanting to be at that gig, but already had tickets for Grandaddy the same night.

The stage entrance for Tenacious D at the QM was pretty cool.

Guest stuartmaxwell
when i saw trail of dead last year they came on to the "overture" from worlds apart then launched straight into "will you smile again?"' date=' successfully re-creating the only great bits from their new album[/quote']

there were great bits on that album??

:help:

Australian Pink Floyd at the music hall a couple of years back. The Dark Side of the Moon prism projected onto the back of the stage, gradually getting bigger to the sound of the heartbeat, as the voices in Speak To Me echo around the place, then the manic laughter, then the screaming, then it breaks out into Breathe, the lights come up. First time id ever heard Dark Side of the Moon as well, couldnt have been better :D