aberdeen-music

The end of vinyl 2009

Guest Zeenat Aman

Vinyl is definately cooler than CD' date=' it's people getting into the fad smaller/digital = better, which is bull. I'll be really disappointed if they kill of vinyl[/quote']

No offence, but thats a bit of a ridiculous attitude! You listen to vinyl rather than CDs because its "cooler"? Surely someone who genuinly likes the music wouldnt care how cool the medium they listen to it on is, but would prefer to choose a medium to get the best experience of the music

No offence' date=' but thats a bit of a ridiculous attitude! You listen to vinyl rather than CDs because its "cooler"? Surely someone who genuinly likes the music wouldnt care how cool the medium they listen to it on is, but would prefer to choose a medium to get the best experience of the music[/quote']

I don't listen to vinyl more than CD's, due to my dad's turntable being downstairs. I just said vinyl is cooler, not that I'd rather listen to it because of that. Like you said I'd listen to whatever to get the best experience.

i just love vinyl....it sounds better, the sensation of putting on a record is much more satisfying that putting on a cd. the artwork on the sleave is bigger. they smell good.

limited editions are far cooler with vinyl than cd. glitter, picture disc, clear, coloured, shaped etc. compared to cd....limited edition novely? digi pack!....whoop....every pack is digi with vinyl!

also....its a lot more hastle to copy a record.

maybe vinyl would be good method to cut down on piracy? hmmm?

It really depends on the sound system you have. Often a vinyl copy of an album released before the CD age will have a superior mix compared to the "remastered" CD version' date=' but music these days is engineered so that it sounds better on a digital format.[/quote']

Good point. I think a lot of albums that were recorded before CD was availible sound better on vinyl, but most albums are recoreded now with the intention of being listened to digitally.

Good point. I think a lot of albums that were recorded before CD was availible sound better on vinyl' date=' but most albums are recoreded now with the intention of being listened to digitally.[/quote']

actually...ive had music pressed to both vinyl and cd and found that the vinyl sounds far warmer and clearer.

so' date=' so very true.

CDs are for people who don't care about music enough.[/quote']

Easy now, my Kirky friend!

The sad fact is vinyl's been dying for years now, and a hell of a lot of new releases never make it onto a vinyl format. I care enough to buy what I like on any format!

:rockon:

• 2 weeks later...

Vinyl is not only my favorutie form for music but one of my favourite things in the world. Like Ms Bodast said I largely buy old stuff but anything new that appears I will always hunt for it on vinyl first, recently picked up Doves, Mercury Revs Beta Band etc all on vinyl.

CDs do have "better" or clearer sound but that is to me part of the problem. They are sterile. As Roger Daltrey said, when a generation moved over to CDs it lost more than just a format. You inhabited vinyl, you had a large piece of cover art, a gatefold to study, a scratch that made a click at a certian moment that was personal to you.

Also Cds encourage lazy listening, they get shoved on and then play in the background. Watching a needle drop on a record and SEEING it journey across it is an exciting thing.

CDs were pushed into the market and to em the only advantage of them pushing vinyl out was being able to listen to music on the move and also back cataloguer stuff becoming more readily available. But when they appeared they were supposed to be indestructable. They are shit, they scratch easily and jump. Vinyl well looked after is much hardier, and also has a liver sound. Nothing picks up good drumming as well as vinyl. Thing is barely anyone even buys it nowadays anyway, most people I know are surprised it even exists for anyone except DJs.

You inhabited vinyl' date=' you had a large piece of cover art, a gatefold to study, a scratch that made a click at a certian moment that was personal to you.

[/quote']

Youve hit the nail right on the head. I try and buy vinyl whenever I can, but it's becoming harder and harder. When you buy an album on vinyl, I think it feels more like you are carrying something worth a tenner too.

Thing is, people tell me it'sa yearning for the old days...the old days thing isn't really the issue. People assume it is, because at one time vinyl was the only medium. The reason why kids of 17 choose vinyl and why house DJs go for it is not because they yearn for the days whern Nursery Cryme was on display in shop windows in a gatefold cover, but simply because it is a muso's medium for what of a better term.

The sales are low due to vinyl being pushed out of the market deliberately by the industry, but unlike video being replaced by DVD it is not a change for the better. The industry makes so much money it should spare a thought for retaining a more sophisticated option for those who don't just buy the latest Robbie Williams album and leave it lying on the out of its box.

Vinyl scracthes won't affect playback like CD scratches will and vinyl these days is a lot more durable thasn it was.

Album artwork also is now not to the same level due to the lack of detail discernable on a cd cover.

I just hate the things, their only advantage is size and tapes and MP3s and minidiscs take care of that now anyway. I know the average person doesn't really mind but I think the industry should continue keep the more soophisticated option available as they do currently. Vinyl costs more which i'm happy to pay but the low sales are a strange thing for them to bring up considering a vinyl costs about 2p to manufacture and probably has the biggest profit margin in the business! it ain't crippling them!

If there's one medium that catches the SOUL of music then its only one thing. VINYL. I've only been collecting vinyl for the last 3-4 years, and it means a heck of alot to me.

Try an experiment. Listen to Never Mind The Bollocks by The Sex Pistols on CD then vinyl. I can tell you that it sounds better on vinyl, honestly. Besides its better to listen to older albums on vinyl, experiencing them the same way as they were first released.

Peace

Martin C x

I like the way vinyl sounds....but older stuff can be annoyingly crackily....but records do give you that warm feeling when they hit a small scratch....the best noise on vinyl is on the trail upto the record when the white noise is clicking through and you are waiting for a record to start! i love that noise!!

Although im far from anti-cd/mp3.....not a big fan of mini disk.....

Someone once described Diamond Lifde by Sade as the al;bum the CD was invented for and that was pot on...soulless, even music for soulless even yuppies. I actually do quite like that album now although I hated it at the time but to me its the only sort of music that can actually sound any better on CD because it has so little variation in tone, mood or spirit. No sudden snares crashing in!

• 4 years later...
vinyl costs about 2p to manufacture and probably has the biggest profit margin in the business! it ain't crippling them!

Where do you get your facts from? Vinyl costs way more to manufacture than CD, especially now that it produced in way more limited quantities.

I love vinyl, but there are certain things I would never buy on vinyl, DJ mixes for a start, who could be bothered turning a vinyl in the middle of a 70-80 minute DJ mix? Stuff I love like Led Zep I'm always looking for decent, relatively unworn vinyl copies on Ebay, it really does sound much better than the vinyl, as also said by members of the band.

Also, in the past year, vinyl is the only format of music which has increased in sales. Albeit no where near the volume of the MP3 or CD market, but both of those have dropped sales in the past year and vinyl increased, leading to a big increase in re-released back catalogue. I know my local shops in Canada have a much bigger vinyl sections than they did a year ago when I first came here.