aberdeen-music

Shift 2 Press Release

Jim Stax

GOING TO WORK ON A SECOND SHIFT

AT ABERDEENS CASTLEGATE!

Live music and visual arts on Easter Saturday

A second Shift is to be held at Aberdeens Castlegate by popular demand following the highly successful launch of the live music and visual arts event in October.

Shift 2 is scheduled for Saturday 26 March when it will add to the citys attractions during the Easter weekend and again coincide with the change in the clocks, as did the first event.

Councillor Jim Hunter, Chairman of organisers, the Wider Castlegate Group, said: Weve been encouraged by the very positive response to the initial Shift and by requests that others be staged. The next will also be another important step forward in developing the Castlegate as a cultural quarter and as a venue for a wide variety of events.

Well over a thousand people of all ages, including families, attended the first Shift afternoon-and-evening of free entertainment and creativity. It was supported by Aberdeen City Centre Partnership and Aberdeen City Council, with funding from the Scottish Executives City Growth Fund as part of the Energising Aberdeen initiative, as Shift 2 will be.

There is clearly tremendous potential to build on the success of the first event, said Lindsay Gordon, of Peacock Visual Arts. Shift 2 will be a variation on the multi-media theme to ensure that it continues to evolve and its appeal grows, to the benefit of the city as a whole.

There will also be free entry to Shift 2 and the focus will again be a marquee specially erected in the square. Plans are being made to increase the number of bands which will appear between 2pm and 9pm.

The headline act will be 65daysofstatic from Sheffield, on their first appearance in Scotland. An instrumental alternative rock band who use computers, samplers and electronics to create a melodic, beautiful and furious sound, they were number 25 in DJ John Peel's Festive 50 2004 favourites.

Also lined up are DRAT, an Irish 4-piece group, with simple melodic guitar lines, looped by lo-fi gems and delicate vocals, laced with dirty keyboards and sharp lyrics; and Glasgow-based Aberdeen duo, Le Reno Amps, who rely on vocals and guitars alone and are rooted in the blues with a punk aesthetic, while veering boldly into country.

Further details of the programme, including additional bands performing, will be announced soon.

/

-2-

The Wider Castlegate Group represents businesses, organisations and the local community, with La Lombarda Restaurant, Peacock Visual Arts and Drake's Productions, the Aberdeen-based alternative music and arts promoters, among those involved in organising the event.

/Ends

17 February 2005

Note to Newsdesks: more information on the bands booked to date can be found on their websites:

65daysofstatic -www.65daysofstatic.com

Drat - www.doubledrat.net

Le Reno Amps - www.lerenoamps.com

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest stuartmaxwell

lovely.

we are not playing inverness that night nay more so i will be looking forward to this.

DRAT & 65daysofstatic are lovely

plus, i am an ignorant "art virgin" in all sense of the words

i can confirm the line up as...

65DAYSOFSTATIC (first ever scottish date' date=' and a one off just for 'Shift'), SOUND DEVELOPMENT AGENCY, DRAT, LE RENO AMPS, SALON BORIS, THE NUCLEOTIDES, KITCHEN CYNICS

details of bands etc to follow - but i need to sleep now! tomorrow....

('tis a great line up tho!!)

sharon[/quote']

What an excellent line-up......... eclectic & well balanced

whew

Guest stuartmaxwell
65daysofstatic sounds good to me! hopefully i'll be able to get the night off work this time!

you had better you fuck

and get the night before off too, you will be at the lock up for a gig :D

But did anyone notice Alan sneaking in there....? Cheesh' date=' He's like a Anti-Folk version of the drummers outside M&S! (Not really) :love:[/quote']

I've always seen myself more like the chicken drummers you get inside Iceland! (i.e.I'm not particularly cool, and sound like a fishy version of Ms Fitzgerald......the New Salmonella Sound of the Kitchen Cynics).

For my revenge I might do a live version of my 'twoback joe' song!!!! :rockon:

I've always seen myself more like the chicken drummers you get inside Iceland! (i.e.I'm not particularly cool' date=' and sound like a fishy version of Ms Fitzgerald......the New Salmonella Sound of the Kitchen Cynics).

For my revenge I might do a live version of my 'twoback joe' song!!!! :rockon:[/quote']

Either a 'smooth old ballad' or 'angsty troubled fake teen pop punk tune'.

I'll be production managing the day so be sure to have a smaller rider than anyone else and also be playing in the wrong tent...The one at Duthie Park with the dog show!

Watchin you son , watchin you.. (bleedin art teachers)

:nono::kiss: