aberdeen-music

Worst lyrics

incredibledisc

Guest Ancient Mariner
I knew you'd appear to defend the people's poet. The fact that lyricism needed to be introduced into rock shows just how devoid of artistic merit rock is.

Fact: Robert Zimmerman has never used any other rhyming scheme than ABAB.

....wait, I'm not done.

I'll correct myself, he uses an ABCB rhyming scheme. He doesn't have the sophistication for a ABAB scheme.

What annoys me about the Time Out of Mind lyrics is his habit of rhyming past partciple verbs:

"You left me stand-ING

In the doorway cry-ING"

His most praised lyric is "desolation Row" and it is nothing but "skippin' reels of rhyme" to quote the man himself.

It tells you something about rock music when it's most revered lyricist would be more of an object of ridicule than William McGonagall if he moved in serious literary circles

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was thinking about my chemical romance the other day; if i remember correctly

forget about those dirty looks' date=' the photograths your boyfreind took[/b']

i hate them

see now call me old fashoined calum (although i'm not sure why you would) but i LOVE that line...i dunno i just thing its great...not especially enlightening or anything just GOOD!

And i DO have to defend MCR, TBS, and BN (gosh cant even be arsed typin the full names) cuz i think that MOST of their lyrics are excellent...Pure Genius.

Guest Ancient Mariner
It's All Right, Ma, I'm Only Bleeding" and "A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall" are two examples off the top of my head that disprove you there.

I know, I just hoped the conviction with which I said it would make it believable. I should be the Prime Minister.

The beauty is in what the words say, not in the way they are arranged

If that were true, there would be no need for poetry, only conversational dialogue and prose.

Dylan's lyric book has been a bestseller in poetry lists for twenty years. The pathetic dwindling band of wannabe intellectuals and starving writers that make up the current literary elite cannot afford to ignore or ridicule Dylan

They can't afford to precisely because he sells. If more than 10% of the population like a painting/novel/poetry collection/piece of music, then it can't be any good.

I'm just picking on Dylan because he's feted, I don't think any lyrics in pop/rock music acheive the status of poetry.

I HATE that song and its lyrics

I'm I the only person on the entire planet that can hear the blatant similarity between the vocals on that Killers song and the entire back catalogue of Shed Seven? Really, I hear it 800 times a day, being forced to listen to Radio 1 as I am, and everytime it comes on I still think it's Rick Shitter.

I don't understand how someone from Las Vegas can sound *exactly* like someone from York, but there you go.

Oh, and "she *WILL* be loved" delivered in that rapey tone of the syphillitic cunt from Maroon 5. There are other bits from that song that make me cringe, but the implied rapey-ness just makes my skin crawl. As does the bit when he "sings" "Oh yeah, yeah" in the follow up single.

Actually - screw lyrical content - I genuinely believe Maroon 5 are a cancerous sore placed on this world by some force of malevolent evil in an attempt to kill any desire I'd ever have in the future to hear words from another human being's mouth.

It's fair to say I fucking despise Maroon 5.

Aye but some of their other stuff is ace. I'm Not Okay is the Song you're thinking of and it doesn't stand up to the rest of the album.

Ahem

"I say don't you know

You say I don't know

I say take me out"

SHITE.

The difference is that Franz Ferdinand know they are make little pop songs for girls to dance to. My Chemical Romance on the other hand think they are saying something really important and profound when they are the epitome of inarticulate teenage angst.

Oh' date=' and "she *WILL* be loved" delivered in that rapey tone of the syphillitic cunt from Maroon 5. There are other bits from that song that make me cringe, but the implied rapey-ness just makes my skin crawl. As does the bit when he "sings" "Oh yeah, yeah" in the follow up single.

Actually - screw lyrical content - I genuinely believe Maroon 5 are a cancerous sore placed on this world by some force of malevolent evil in an attempt to kill any desire I'd ever have in the future to hear words from another human being's mouth.

It's fair to say I fucking despise Maroon 5.[/quote']

i totally agree. that man is a fucking lecherous-pig-pervert. their videos are so disgusting. i want that man to be given a cockroach, grasshopper, hairball enema.

i hate all lyrics by the killers too.

x