aberdeen-music

I have been put off smoking big time!

Hog

Guest Jake Wifebeater
ain't nobody died from wearing expensive clothing' date=' or from standing next to people in expensive clothing.[/quote']

Yawn. We've heard your little crusade before.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tv tanned

I note your failure to address the substance of my point.

It being that your example was rather stupid and disanalogous.

I suppose you only support free speech for those you want to listen to huh?

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I note your failure to address the substance of my point.

It being that your example was rather stupid and disanalogous.

I suppose you only support free speech for those you want to listen to huh?

The bottom line is that I don't care. You can blether as much as you like, just as I have the right to choose not to address the substance of your point, as you pretentiously put it. And your last line was laughable.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
i'm glad i make you laugh' date=' everyone should get a chuckle at least once in their day...[/quote']

Oh absolutely, a hearty laugh is good for the lungs, ironically enough.

Ewe. Talking about hospitals and imagining being there I can smell that very distinct smell of hospital wards. Yuck! And once you leave you still smell of it like piss, shit, b.o. And the degusting hospital food all rolled into one:P YUCK!

Getting to the tread, my Mother gave up smoking when she was pregnant with me and now only ever has the occasional cigarette when shes extremely drunk. My Father however is a very heavy smoker and he has put me off smoking for life. Yellow teeth/finger and exceptionally smelly all of the time.

If you buy it in the shop. I'm lucky enough to have a "source"' date=' so the cost works out at a fiver every four to five days. Only a pound a day.

[/quote']

Bravo, you manage to remove the one positive smoking provides - subsidising the NHS.

For someone with a "social conscience" you seem to revel in removing doctors and nurses from the wards......

My dad has smoked since he was about 14 and it has put me off smoking

i tried it a few years ago but really didnt see what the big deal was about, its disgusting

luckily my dad works away so i only have to put up with his smoke for about 2 days of the week as my mum doesnt smoke and its only myself and her at home during the week

i just hate the smell, taste and in fact everything about it

ain't nobody died from wearing expensive clothing' date=' or from standing next to people in expensive clothing.[/quote']

Professor Sir Richard Doll, the first scientist to publish research that suggested a correlation between lung cancer and primary smoking, commented: 'The effects of other people smoking in my presence is so small it doesn't worry me.'

March 1998 the World Health Organisation was forced to admit that the results of a seven-year study (the largest of its kind) into the link between passive smoking and lung cancer were not 'statistically significant'.

(FOREST)

As for the menu of chemicals in cigarettes, I presume you wear a face-mask when you walk down a busy road then? A walk down a busy road allows you to breathe in the amount of deadly chemicals you would find in 20 cigarettes.

They're easy to find, infact during the SARS outbreak in Japan they did nice patterned ones.

I'll have my two penneth here: I was on at least 20 a day for years and "didn#'t want to give up, enjoyed it" etc.

Any smoker who tells you he enjoys it, "it calms his nerves" and so on is lying, even if they don't know it! Fags heighten your nervous tension for a start, and they"enjoy it" because they have started a chemical addiction in the body which needs to be satisfied, exactly the same way an alcoholic or a heroin addict does.

I gave up in a flash by reading Allan Carr's Easy Way To Stop Smoking, no scare tactics or owt, they don't work! It just points out why you think you can't give up and removes all the doubts that keep you doing it. I never even considered smoking again and that was four years ago.

When people are reduced to asking total strangers to buy a cigarette from them and so on, its time to make a change if you ask me. If you smoke and accept that if you keep going then you are pretty likely to die a fairly revolting death, read Allan Carr and no kidding, giving up is as easy as having a wank.

Guest Bob Double Jack
This'd probably do it for me:

Acetone:

One of the active ingredients in nail polish remover.

Ammonia:

A caustic agent used in fertilizers and household cleaners. Is added to enhance the flavor of a cigarette' date=' but also helps the smoker to absorb more nicotine thereby enhancing addiction.

Arsenic:

Rat poison. Makes your lips burn and is responsible for giving you bad breath.

Benzopyrene:

One of the most potent cancer-causing chemicals in the world. Found in coal tar and cigarette smoke.

Benzene:

Is an industrial chemical and a constituent of gasoline. It is a group 1 carcinogen and is responsible for causing leukemia and aplitic anemia.

Butane:

A key component of gasoline, its highly flammable.

Carbon Monoxide:

A colorless, odorless gas, which starves the body of existing oxygen.

Cadmium:

Used in batteries and oil paint. It is a group 1 carcinogen. It damages the liver, kidneys, and brain and remains in the body for years (>10 years). Is also excreted in the breast milk of nursing mothers.

Formaldehyde:

Used in embalming (preserving tissue). Causes cancer and damages the lung, skin, and digestive tract.

Hydrogen Cyanide:

A colorless poisonous gas. Short-term exposure causes headaches, dizziness, nausea and vomiting.

Lead:

Of the heavy metal group. Stunts growth and damages the brain, kidneys and nervous system. Lead is more easily absorbed in the growing bodies so children are particularly vulnerable. Exposure in children can result in development delays, lower IQ levels, shortened attention spans and increased behavioral problems

Methoprene:

An insecticide used to kill fleas on your pets.

Mercury:

A heavy metal, affects the central nervous system. Exposure causes tremors, memory loss and kidney disease.

Nickel:

A heavy metal, affects the central nervous system. Exposure causes increased susceptibility to respiratory infections.

Nitric oxide:

Produces short-term effects on airway activity. High concentrations can lead to acute lung dysfunction.

Phenol:

Used in disinfectants and plastic. Exposure causes skin, eye, and mucus membrane irritation.

Polonium:

A cancer causing radioactive element.

Propylene Glycol:

Added by the tobacco industry to keep cheap tobacco from drying out. It also has been known to aid in delivery of nicotine to the brain.

Styrene:

Found in insulation material. Causes headaches, fatigue, weakness, and depression.

Toluene:

Embalmers glue, which is a central nervous system depressant. Exposure causes ataxia, tremors, cerebral atrophy, nystagmus, impaired speech, hearing and vision, headaches, dizziness and difficulty sleeping.

Turpentine:

A toxic chemical used in paint stripper.[/quote']

Non smoker then?

i enjoy smoking, but i want to give up. everytime im in a newsagents, its just so natural to ask for ye ole packet of fags..

my papa died 11 years ago of lung cancer which spread to his brain and made him completely out of control to do the most natural and normal things.. he couldnt control his normal functions, he was a permanent green color, and his body just faded away to nothingness..

my love for him is undying, and my mum hates that one day she might see her little daughter die before her, but the chances are that with my lifestyle i'll probably die in a freak accident (got my stitches out of my scalp today, i'm feelin so doolally)

peace out white bitches.

The reason we all start smoking is because we think it looks cool...amazingly once you stop you immediately realise what a disckhead you looked: the way people pause mid-sentence to breathe smoke out is actually the most irritating and twatish looking thing onthe planet. Scary how much an addiction brainwashes you!

Smoking can't be cool if it winds up with you wearing a colostomy bag really.

Professor Sir Richard Doll' date=' the first scientist to publish research that suggested a correlation between lung cancer and primary smoking, commented: 'The effects of other people smoking in my presence is so small it doesn't worry me.'

March 1998 the World Health Organisation was forced to admit that the results of a seven-year study (the largest of its kind) into the link between passive smoking and lung cancer were not 'statistically significant'.

(FOREST)[/quote']

Firstly, think about the studies in the past that no doubt declared asbestos safe and that smoking was actually good for you. I'm not saying that the studies lie or are in some way false, but claims made by scientists have been disproved later on by the advent of new technology or a new way of thinking. Not to say that some day scientists will find a link between passive smoking and a horrible cancerous death, but there is evidence for both sides. It seems to be a pretty borderline thing. People who use the above research to justify smoking in front of someone who is patently disgusted by it piss me off, much the same as people who give only the research that backs up their opinion any credit.

As for the menu of chemicals in cigarettes, I presume you wear a face-mask when you walk down a busy road then? A walk down a busy road allows you to breathe in the amount of deadly chemicals you would find in 20 cigarettes.

They're easy to find, infact during the SARS outbreak in Japan they did nice patterned ones.

Most of the drivers of the vehicles on the road would argue that they had to be driving, i.e. it's part of their job, they have to be somewhere with no public transport links etc. Smoking is entirely optional. Sure they both emit the same fumes, but I don't really care about breathing in some chemicals if they're coming from a vehicle that's delivering supplies to a hospital or whatever. I do, however, take offense at breathing in fumes from cigarettes.

If you're going to compare traffic and cigarettes with regard to fumes, why not compare the methods being taken to prevent both? New fuels are being developed to prevent exhaust fumes. Smoking is being banned from public places to prevent those fumes. A pretty extreme example, but the same person could have very different opinions on both of these, which I find odd.

Quite, and comparing smoking with walking down a street is bloody ludicruous, it's one of those "I could get run over by a bus tomorrow" arguments. Its much more refreshing to just accept that "I'm addicted to a shitty drug that's killing me and because I'm addicted it means I can't think logically about this." Even heroin addicts will tell you they enjoy it, and that if they didn't they would do it, and that other alcohol and coffee are drugs too, all that tosh.

Walking down a street is not an adquate comparison: if non-smokers had a habit of sucking fumes out of car exhausts and then complained it would be but they don't. People don't tend to die from street fumes.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
For someone with a "social conscience" you seem to revel in removing doctors and nurses from the wards......

Don't be fucking daft. I don't see doctors and nurses getting laid off en masse, what a farcical argument. The NHS is screaming out for qualified staff, and believe me, they're going to need them as the obesity epidemic spirals out of control..............

P.S. I have a social conscience? How would you know?