aberdeen-music

I have been put off smoking big time!

Hog

The NHS is crying out for staff and CAN'T AFFORD THEM. All I'm saying is the only positive from smoking is it massively subsidises public services, such as the NHS. Thus, by not paying tax on cigarettes, you are in fact depriving the public services of money, funding, and thus staff/equipment.

Yes, obesity is a HUGE problem (personally and professionally), and looks liklely to overtake smoking in America as the number one cause of preventable death (but not for a while yet). However, cake tastes nicer than cigarettes.

In terms of social conscience - sorry, thought it went hand in hand with the grind/core/trading/DIY stuff. Resume selfish bastard mode by all means. :D

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work in the Respiratory ward at ARI. I really enjoy my job but admittedly it's pretty unpleasant.

Frequently, REALLY ill patients (pneumonia, chronic asthma, fibrosing alveolitis) etc have to wait around for days before getting treatment because there are bloody smokers hogging all the beds, cowking up brown stuff and wanting sympathy...

Any smokers volunteering to sit with a dying lung cancer patient, telling him/her that:

There are worse things you could die of.

didn't think so...

Smokers - :moody:

AKM

The NHS is crying out for staff and CAN'T AFFORD THEM. All I'm saying is the only positive from smoking is it massively subsidises public services' date=' such as the NHS. Thus, by not paying tax on cigarettes, you are in fact depriving the public services of money, funding, and thus staff/equipment.

Yes, obesity is a HUGE problem (personally and professionally), and looks liklely to overtake smoking in America as the number one cause of preventable death (but not for a while yet). However, cake tastes nicer than cigarettes.

In terms of social conscience - sorry, thought it went hand in hand with the grind/core/trading/DIY stuff. Resume selfish bastard mode by all means. :D[/quote']

Yeah but surely there would be alot less patients in hospital if people didnt smoke?!