aberdeen-music

I have been put off smoking big time!

Hog

Was in the hospital today visiting a relative. Saw a guy across the ward who was just staring at the ceiling and was struggling for every breath. You had to be there Im sure but not pretty.Put me off smoking, way more effective than any tv advert. This isnt an anti-smoking thread just saying that it really made me think

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

both my parents were heavy smokers ( my mum has/is giving up-again)

neither me nor my brother smoke and never have.

hearing her every winter houghing up her lungs is enough.

althought my dad is abit mad/funny. he ran out of fags one day so he nicked one of my mums patches till he got more (and didnt take it off when he did the twit)

oh well, parents eh!

Was in the hospital today visiting a relative. Saw a guy across the ward who was just staring at the ceiling and was struggling for every breath. You had to be there Im sure but not pretty.Put me off smoking' date=' way more effective than any tv advert. This isnt an anti-smoking thread just saying that it really made me think[/quote']

Not to worry, his condition improved markedly when we removed the cling film from his face. That'll teach the fucker to steal someone else's fags in the waiting room!

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Was in the hospital today visiting a relative. Saw a guy across the ward who was just staring at the ceiling and was struggling for every breath. You had to be there Im sure but not pretty.Put me off smoking' date=' way more effective than any tv advert. This isnt an anti-smoking thread just saying that it really made me think[/quote']

I'm glad you've finally seen sense. I'm glad because this might mean you'll stop being a scrounging bastard and keep the fuck away from my snout tin when you're round for an Ape Towers munt.

This'd probably do it for me:

Acetone:

One of the active ingredients in nail polish remover.

Ammonia:

A caustic agent used in fertilizers and household cleaners. Is added to enhance the flavor of a cigarette, but also helps the smoker to absorb more nicotine thereby enhancing addiction.

Arsenic:

Rat poison. Makes your lips burn and is responsible for giving you bad breath.

Benzopyrene:

One of the most potent cancer-causing chemicals in the world. Found in coal tar and cigarette smoke.

Benzene:

Is an industrial chemical and a constituent of gasoline. It is a group 1 carcinogen and is responsible for causing leukemia and aplitic anemia.

Butane:

A key component of gasoline, its highly flammable.

Carbon Monoxide:

A colorless, odorless gas, which starves the body of existing oxygen.

Cadmium:

Used in batteries and oil paint. It is a group 1 carcinogen. It damages the liver, kidneys, and brain and remains in the body for years (>10 years). Is also excreted in the breast milk of nursing mothers.

Formaldehyde:

Used in embalming (preserving tissue). Causes cancer and damages the lung, skin, and digestive tract.

Hydrogen Cyanide:

A colorless poisonous gas. Short-term exposure causes headaches, dizziness, nausea and vomiting.

Lead:

Of the heavy metal group. Stunts growth and damages the brain, kidneys and nervous system. Lead is more easily absorbed in the growing bodies so children are particularly vulnerable. Exposure in children can result in development delays, lower IQ levels, shortened attention spans and increased behavioral problems

Methoprene:

An insecticide used to kill fleas on your pets.

Mercury:

A heavy metal, affects the central nervous system. Exposure causes tremors, memory loss and kidney disease.

Nickel:

A heavy metal, affects the central nervous system. Exposure causes increased susceptibility to respiratory infections.

Nitric oxide:

Produces short-term effects on airway activity. High concentrations can lead to acute lung dysfunction.

Phenol:

Used in disinfectants and plastic. Exposure causes skin, eye, and mucus membrane irritation.

Polonium:

A cancer causing radioactive element.

Propylene Glycol:

Added by the tobacco industry to keep cheap tobacco from drying out. It also has been known to aid in delivery of nicotine to the brain.

Styrene:

Found in insulation material. Causes headaches, fatigue, weakness, and depression.

Toluene:

Embalmers glue, which is a central nervous system depressant. Exposure causes ataxia, tremors, cerebral atrophy, nystagmus, impaired speech, hearing and vision, headaches, dizziness and difficulty sleeping.

Turpentine:

A toxic chemical used in paint stripper.

This'd probably do it for me:

Acetone:

One of the active ingredients in nail polish remover.

Ammonia:

A caustic agent used in fertilizers and household cleaners. Is added to enhance the flavor of a cigarette' date=' but also helps the smoker to absorb more nicotine thereby enhancing addiction.

Arsenic:

Rat poison. Makes your lips burn and is responsible for giving you bad breath.

Benzopyrene:

One of the most potent cancer-causing chemicals in the world. Found in coal tar and cigarette smoke.

Benzene:

Is an industrial chemical and a constituent of gasoline. It is a group 1 carcinogen and is responsible for causing leukemia and aplitic anemia.

Butane:

A key component of gasoline, its highly flammable.

Carbon Monoxide:

A colorless, odorless gas, which starves the body of existing oxygen.

Cadmium:

Used in batteries and oil paint. It is a group 1 carcinogen. It damages the liver, kidneys, and brain and remains in the body for years (>10 years). Is also excreted in the breast milk of nursing mothers.

Formaldehyde:

Used in embalming (preserving tissue). Causes cancer and damages the lung, skin, and digestive tract.

Hydrogen Cyanide:

A colorless poisonous gas. Short-term exposure causes headaches, dizziness, nausea and vomiting.

Lead:

Of the heavy metal group. Stunts growth and damages the brain, kidneys and nervous system. Lead is more easily absorbed in the growing bodies so children are particularly vulnerable. Exposure in children can result in development delays, lower IQ levels, shortened attention spans and increased behavioral problems

Methoprene:

An insecticide used to kill fleas on your pets.

Mercury:

A heavy metal, affects the central nervous system. Exposure causes tremors, memory loss and kidney disease.

Nickel:

A heavy metal, affects the central nervous system. Exposure causes increased susceptibility to respiratory infections.

Nitric oxide:

Produces short-term effects on airway activity. High concentrations can lead to acute lung dysfunction.

Phenol:

Used in disinfectants and plastic. Exposure causes skin, eye, and mucus membrane irritation.

Polonium:

A cancer causing radioactive element.

Propylene Glycol:

Added by the tobacco industry to keep cheap tobacco from drying out. It also has been known to aid in delivery of nicotine to the brain.

Styrene:

Found in insulation material. Causes headaches, fatigue, weakness, and depression.

Toluene:

Embalmers glue, which is a central nervous system depressant. Exposure causes ataxia, tremors, cerebral atrophy, nystagmus, impaired speech, hearing and vision, headaches, dizziness and difficulty sleeping.

Turpentine:

A toxic chemical used in paint stripper.[/quote']

Bloody hell, didn't know it was that bad

My Grandad has a triple heart bypass last year and I went to visit him in the day room and we sat watching cricket and eating biscuits while these two really old (older than 80 I'd say) ladies sat and sneakily smoked out of the windows even though they also had just both had triple heart bypasses.

I could not believe it and told on them straight away.

my great aunt was in hospital about 6 months back or something cause she'd taken a stroke due to smoking, the way she was struggling to breathe and that was really scary. My gran was also in hospital not long ago because of smoking, she had like hardening of the arteries or something.

Both of them were told to quit smoking, which they managed to do for a bit, yet both of them started again. I just don't understand it :(

recently my grandad just had a series of strokes - which were probably due to the fact that he smoked for years, but he stopped a few years back because he had a heart attack and a stroke. And he's been in hospital since just before new year. It's horrible, it upset me so much to go and see him that i've only been like twice since. And still pretty much all of my extended family (on both sides) smoke. I've never touched a cigarette. but i hate to think how much shit i have in my lungs from the amount of passive smoke.

Formaldehyde:

Used in embalming (preserving tissue). Causes cancer and damages the lung' date=' skin, and digestive tract.

[/quote']

Ever drank Diet Coke? Laced with the stuff.

There are so many thousands of chemicals in one little cigarette, meaning that each chemical is in a ridiculously low quantity. And if you smoke enough, the body grows an immunity to the majority of the chemicals in that doseage. Which is why your first cigarette makes you dizzy, but a few weeks down the line, its heaven wrapped in paper.

Also, the filter clogs all the heavier chemicals so they never even go near you. Mother has smoked 40 cigarettes a day since she was 17, and is still fitter than most people.

I'm not going to say "I'm not defending smoking" because in a way I am. I love it, I know many other people who love it. You could get hit by a bus tomorrow, so whats the point in caring what smoking does to you.

There are worse things you could die of.

You are more likely to be killed in a car crash on the way to the airport than be killed in a plane crash.

Better than that, cause of death is more likely to be "trouser's related" than "plane crash".

Wait, where is this going. Oh, that was leading to you are more likely to be killed on the way to the shop buying cigarettes than by the cigarettes themselves.

There are worse things you could die of.

Wait' date=' where is this going. Oh, that was leading to you are more likely to be killed on the way to the shop buying cigarettes than by the cigarettes themselves.[/quote']

Your post was laced with bollocks, but these two really stuck out. There actually aren't that many (common) things worse than slowly suffocating due to long term airways disease. Lung cancer has to be one of the most horrific ways to die, and is hugely weighted to the smoking population. I become more and more convinced that smoking is some sort of Darwinian weeding out process.....

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I'm not going to say "I'm not defending smoking" because in a way I am. I love it' date=' I know many other people who love it. You could get hit by a bus tomorrow, so whats the point in caring what smoking does to you.

There are worse things you could die of.[/quote']

Excellent stuff there, I am sick to death of being told how bad smoking is.

Care for a smoke?

*offers packet*

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Smoking = Tax for the stupid.

If you buy it in the shop. I'm lucky enough to have a "source", so the cost works out at a fiver every four to five days. Only a pound a day.

Expensive clothes = Tax for the stupid.