aberdeen-music

Elgin - Rock City.

MitchPact

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fish actually told me about an incident that occured on the day he last played at Banff where he met a local loony in The Ship...Banff is full of those!

My folks live in Fordyce' date=' I tend to drink in either The Shore Inn in Portsoy or occasionally The Boyne, or The Three Kings in Cullen when I'm through. Or in Banff which is good, never been to any pubs in Whitehills...

Sorry to hear about the funeral...[/quote']

the ships my local, there is a few loonys here but you just stay away from them. mordred, whos your relations in Banff?

Hey we should all share a few in The Ship sometime!

Incident was something to do with meeting a guy outside the Ship whose mother came along and dragged him away saying he was told not to drink because it wasn't a good idea with the cancer treatment he was having and the mother and son started to get rather raucous in the street. Sorry can't remember the precise details beyoind that but it was in the daytime: what was your post-gig story?

Can't remember the exact details but it was something along the lines of 'one of my mates who used to be the singer in Mind Gone Blind was playing at Tarlair in a band called 'The Shining' the same year that Fish played. After the gig he met Fish in one of the local pubs. He was a huge Fish fan and when he was introduced to him he couldn't even speak, didn't know what to say to him so he punched him instead!!! Fish and one of his bouncers jumped on him and proceeded to beat him up!'

As i said i don't know exactly how much of this is true and how much has been exaggerated over the years. I wasn't there myself so i'm just going on what i've been told!

:D:D

It took me ages to find this thread, but what a thread!!

I didn't really know that Elgin had a decent music 'scene' in the 80s or 90s, all I hear is: The Beatles played Two Red Shoes in the 60s, as did The Who etc. Good to hear about the recollections of all you old-timers - I'd totally love to hear a DJ playing Napalm Death and Slayer in Elgin these days!! Being a young whippersnapper, all I've ever known is: the occasional ValidNight at the Town Hall/New Elgin... Hielan Jam Battle of the Bands (the one where Sirius won is the first gig I ever went to, when I was 12!)... and apart from that, complete boredom and apathy from people who go to gigs.

Danny's first gig in September changed that, and as well as the Dangerfields playing in my dad's garage in November, we've played living rooms and garages. Filthpact on 26/2 hopefully changed things - great turnout (I think as long as any band plays in Elgin, peoplem will turn up and see them!!), good sets from all the bands (except O.C.D :D) and everyone I've asked saying they had fun!!

Hopefully now things will change, and even when O.C.D break up and move to Aberdeen/Edinburgh/elsewhere, kids who saw our gigs will want to follow Danny's lead and put on good gigs in Elgin in the future! That would kick ass. So fans of punk rock/metal/hardcore/extreme music will actually get gigs to go to and all will be well.

In response to that thread about violent games - us fu,cks at Milne's High School in Fochabers only ever had British Bulldog, which was still pretty rough due to all the big guys from Lhanbryde going to Milne's... ah.

Can't remember the exact details but it was something along the lines of 'one of my mates who used to be the singer in Mind Gone Blind was playing at Tarlair in a band called 'The Shining' the same year that Fish played. After the gig he met Fish in one of the local pubs. He was a huge Fish fan and when he was introduced to him he couldn't even speak' date=' didn't know what to say to him so he punched him instead!!! Fish and one of his bouncers jumped on him and proceeded to beat him up!'

As i said i don't know exactly how much of this is true and how much has been exaggerated over the years. I wasn't there myself so i'm just going on what i've been told!

:D:D[/quote']

You must be getting senile Snowdog dude. Bert was in Point Blank by the time he swung at Fish. We played Tarlair in 1988 when Tarlair was still a good crack.

That Fish tale about a knife is a tad dubious as I've never seen anyone wielding knives (fists and boots aye...) in Keith and I'm sure someone would have boasted about it ever since.

Bry ".......Hielan Jam Battle of the Bands (the one where Sirius won is the first gig I ever went to, when I was 12!)... and apart from that, complete boredom and apathy from people who go to gigs."

That wasnae a Hielan Jam BotB as I've never done one outwith Keith, the HJ gigs are/were just gigs with a few bands on the bill. That competition was something to do with Eric McGillivary or something.

Never been a fan of Sirius though....

Anyway must go, see you about Mordred :rockon: